Gile Pile

LA Lakers 2019-2020 Season Thread

May as well start this to keep AD thread clean from discussing  LA Lakers off season strategy.

For all your entertainment needs, Lakers fans overreacting, Lakers being 2nd seed in the  West and visit

For 2019/2020 season,  I think that 3rd star is not coming this year, except maybe Butler or Cousins. 

If that happens bring your popcorn and get ready for   day time TV from Lakers locker room.

Lakers are most likely to overpay for solid role players (Rozier  comes to mind) and end up being a solid team with conference semifinals ceiling 

• Haha 2

3rd star isn't coming at all given the team's salary cap situation. AD/Bron/solid role players is a pretty good roster. Better than a 2nd round exit as you suggested. 23 million can get you some good players, and as long as LA is smart with who they sign, they'll be okay not getting a 3rd star.

1 hour ago, RedRaider27 said:

as long as LA is smart with who they sign

Considering who was signed last summer (Micheal Beasely comes to mind), above is far from certain

53 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Considering who was signed last summer (Micheal Beasely comes to mind), above is far from certain

True, very true. We'll see what happens but unless that trade is processed later and AD waivers his trade kicker, no 3rd star is coming anyways.

If they think smart and not try to break the bank with high profile names; I like a core of kind of mentioned in the other thread:

PG: Collison

SG: Redick

SF: Lebron

PF: Anthony Davis

Center: JaVale McGee

BENCH:

Willey Cauley-Stein

Jeremy Lamb

Rajon Rondo

Kyle Kuzma

Mike Muscala

Corey Brewer

And that's if you want a solid bench and being realistic. and not thinking the Lakers will have a lineup of:

Kemba

Middleton

Lebron

Anthony Davis

Cousins

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

If they think smart and not try to break the bank with high profile names; I like a core of kind of mentioned in the other thread:

PG: Collison

SG: Redick

SF: Lebron

PF: Anthony Davis

Center: JaVale McGee

BENCH:

Willey Cauley-Stein

Jeremy Lamb

Rajon Rondo

Kyle Kuzma

Mike Muscala

Corey Brewer

And that's if you want a solid bench and being realistic. and not thinking the Lakers will have a lineup of:

Kemba

Middleton

Lebron

Anthony Davis

Cousins

Yes, I like that in theory.  But idk why people keep thinking they can get collison, redick, McGee, and WCS for under 30M.  They can maybe get two of them. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

Yes, I like that in theory.  But idk why people keep thinking they can get collison, redick, McGee, and WCS for under 30M.  They can maybe get two of them. 

Maybe 2 of the 4 but hey it’s a lot more realistic than Kemba, Lebron, AD, with a bench of Kuzma, Cousins and Pat Bev.

• Like 1

They need defense in the worst way. Close towards emergency level. They should get in the playoffs no problem. But afterwards...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Maybe 2 of the 4 but hey it’s a lot more realistic than Kemba, Lebron, AD, with a bench of Kuzma, Cousins and Pat Bev.

Anything is more realistic then that because Kuzma is starting. After signing a max to someone like Kemba there would be no money for either Beverly or Cousins. Lakers would only be able to re sign its own players to go above salary or draft players to go above and with no current draft picks it does not look great. I assume the Lakers will buy a few 2nd rounders off a team that has a abundant amount of them. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

They need defense in the worst way. Close towards emergency level. They should get in the playoffs no problem. But afterwards...

Yeah, as long as bronbron enters playoff-mode...😂

Seriously tho, if there are ANY injuries it will be worse than last year.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, itslarry said:

Yeah, as long as bronbron enters playoff-mode...😂

Seriously tho, if there are ANY injuries it will be worse than last year.

Agreed. It’s like the Lakers didn’t learn from the Warriors at all. The drop off from Durant to McKinnie was laughable and so was the drop from Klay to Cook. So if any of Lebron or AD or this third superstar they trying to sign, get hurt. Might as well throw in the towel.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

The best would be collison and redick imo.  Collison, Redick, LBJ, Kuzma, Ad with Caruso, Mo Wagner, Muscala whoever else coming off the bench would be good enough imo.  

Hot take: I don’t think Collison is substantially worse than Kemba for the Lakers.  Collison is very careful and efficient.  He’s a metrics friendly player.  He either takes it to the hole and he used to be quick enough to take anyone off the dribble or he shoots a three.  When he shoot a three his shot selection is excellent and consequently he has one of the highest 3% for a point guard.  He’s also careful with the ball. 

Kemba is the opposite.  He’s a shoot first point guard with low efficiency.  He’s also good at managing turnovers but that’s largely a function of not looking to pass.  He shoots less efficiently than Collison in every regard.

The lakers don’t need another 20+ ppg player and Kemba’s scoring is inflated b high usage anyway.  They need a careful PG who can play off ball and is great at a catch at shoot. 

If they can convince Collison to come for less money that means they can (maybe) get Redick at under 15M too.  Redick is one of the best shooters, though he can do nothing else, and they need shooters.

I would much rather have Collison and Redick than Kemba or Butler. The only single player I would rather have over Collison and Redickis Kawhi 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Agreed. It’s like the Lakers didn’t learn from the Warriors at all. The drop off from Durant to McKinnie was laughable and so was the drop from Klay to Cook. So if any of Lebron or AD or this third superstar they trying to sign, get hurt. Might as well throw in the towel.

Well at least AD has proved to be an Ironman over his career and LBJ hasn't shown any signs of 14th all-time minutes leader might be starting to take it's toll...Scottie Pippen said he'd play for them today

• Haha 3

So we've gone from "Lakers can't sign anybody". They sign LeBron James.

To "Nobody wants to play with LeBron". Anthony Davis forces a trade to play with him.

Now we're back to "Lakers can't sign anybody"?

It's come full circle. 

😅

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kaboom said:

To "Nobody wants to play with LeBron". Anthony Davis forces a trade to play with him.

It's come full circle. 

😅

Lakers must sign at least 8 more yo get yo minimum roster.  It is true, Lakers can sign players.  Like Lance 😁

12 hours ago, Kaboom said:

It's come full circle. 

😅

We're all victims of whatever the media reports.  I believed the LAL were weren't a prime FA destination bc I read that from multiple sources.  For all we know that could be an exaggeration, or even pure fabrication, or it could be the truth.  None of us have actual knowledge of the situation.  Even the most informed fan is just reading what WOJ reports.

• Like 2

What are people's minimum  expectations, with the future completely sold is it finals or bust? 

As i fan i know ill be pissed if we traded everything+ picks and dont win it all. Especially since there will be no young talent coming in for a while.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, itslarry said:

What are people's minimum  expectations, with the future completely sold is it finals or bust? 

As i fan i know ill be pissed if we traded everything+ picks and dont win it all. Especially since there will be no young talent coming in for a while.

I mean, I don't know how old you are? Have you been a Lakers fan for long? Is it too late to consider a new team?

EDIT: Breaking news, I take that all back...sorry:

Image result for all in gif

Edited by Jake the snake

4 minutes ago, Jake the snake said:

I mean, I don't know how old you are? Have you been a Lakers fan for long? Is it too late to consider a new team?

EDIT: Breaking news, I take that all back...sorry:

Image result for all in gif

34 and grew up there, so im used to winning, not being the west coast knicks. 

3 more years of bronbron, so there is an expiration date on this "superteam". 

As a fan would you be happy with what we gave up and 2nd round exits?

4 minutes ago, itslarry said:

In Toronto we don't deal in 2nd round exits

#WeTheChamps

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, itslarry said:

3 minutes ago, itslarry said:

We didn't mortgage our whole future. We have our pick next season. We will most likely have our pick the season after that. In 2023 we still get a pick, whether it's our or their's after the swap. We will still have a pick in 2024 or 2025 depending on what NO decides. We literally only gave up 3 picks. 1 was just used last night. Like I said, the other 2 probably aren't coming for a few more years. The Lakers still have flexibility. I really get a good laugh when you have these "analysts" saying NO controls our draft for the next 7 years. That is clearly not the case. The window with Bron might only be 2-3 more years, but we more than likely have the next face of the franchise for the next 10 years in 26 year old Anthony Davis. I like our chances to win this trade.

To answer your question, it's championship or bust. You don't go out and pair AD with Bron to lose in the 2nd round, or even in the West Finals. Realistic Laker fans will be happy with just 1 championship. That's the goal. If we even win just 1, this deal is worth it. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, RedRaider27 said:

I really get a good laugh when you have these "analysts" saying NO controls our draft for the next 7 years. That is clearly not the case.

It looks to me that NO is in full control.  Lakers pick in  2021 will not be top 8. In 2023 it will be lower pick. 2024 and 2025 when LBJ is very old will be the crown jewel for NO.

Interesting take what this could mean for Lakers:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/pelicans/article_6855ddc0-9078-11e9-8544-5b947557d2cc.html

Looking at long term perspective, LBJ has screwed every franchise he has played for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

It looks to me that NO is in full control.  Lakers pick in  2021 will not be top 8. In 2023 it will be lower pick. 2024 and 2025 when LBJ is very old will be the crown jewel for NO.

Interesting take what this could mean for Lakers:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/pelicans/article_6855ddc0-9078-11e9-8544-5b947557d2cc.html

Looking at long term perspective, LBJ has screwed every franchise he has played for.

Yes. Lebron has screwed every Franchise he has been with. I mean, winning a championship with each franchise previous to this Lakers team so far, and leading them to multiple conference championships is really screwing up a franchise. I mean, you can be the Pelicans or like the Hornets, who have had a draft pick for the last 10 years or so and haven’t won their division or have only been to the playoffs less than a handful of times. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Yes. Lebron has screwed every Franchise he has been with. I mean, winning a championship with each franchise previous to this Lakers team so far, and leading them to multiple conference championships is really screwing up a franchise. I mean, you can be the Pelicans or like the Hornets, who have had a draft pick for the last 10 years or so and haven’t won their division or have only been to the playoffs less than a handful of times. 

That was prime LBJ. Where are Miami and Cavs now?

Lakers got 35 year old coming back from the first major injury in his career, no draft picks for the foreseeable  future and no cap space to build roster capable of winning championship around LBJ and AD. 

Looks like another 5 years without championship in Lakers land