Gile Pile

LA Lakers 2019-2020 Season Thread

So instead of giving the max to Kawhi and filling out the rest of the roster with vet mins, they used that money on:

-Danny Green

-Demarcus Cousins

-KCP

-JaVale McGee

-Quinn Cook

-Alex Caruso

-Avery Bradley

(Dudley and Daniels were vet mins, so they didn't count towards the available cap space)

Not bad Rob, not bad.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/6/2019 at 9:31 PM, Gile Pile said:

If Rondo is your starting PG in 2019, that is bad

Coach read your comment and will start Lebron at pg now 😜

Edited by Chrizz

Posted (edited)

LeBron - Rondo/Caruso

Green - Bradley/Cook

Kuzma - KCP/Melo?

AD - Dudley

Cousins - McGee

Edited by bsu27
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chrizz said:

Coach read your comment and will start Lebron at pg now 😜

I would be honored if an actual NBA coach reads my comment on fantasy basketball forum.   Why is an NBA coach looking for advice on fantasy forums is  totally different question...   😁

12 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

I would be honored if an actual NBA coach reads my comment on fantasy basketball forum.   Why is an NBA coach looking for advice on fantasy forums is  totally different question...   😁

I think there's a chance coaches/front office people read these blogs.  AND ignore them.

3 hours ago, bsu27 said:

Avery Bradley is good on D at least. 

He was pretty horrible last year, and he's been overrated on D for a while. I don't think he'll be in the rotation in spring. 

47 minutes ago, bsu27 said:

LeBron - Rondo/Caruso

Green - Bradley/Cook

Kuzma - KCP/Melo?

AD - Dudley

Cousins - McGee

So this is a PlayOff team? Maybe 3 years ago.......Let's look at these 6 rotation players - Rondo KCP Cousins Dudley Green Bradley - I won't say has-beens but.....All 6 have played their best basketball. There is a reason why no one wanted these guys.

And with the Lakers current management - Whoever that would be - No way Lakers win another Championship any time soon. Any time soon - Next 5-6 years.......No real draft picks......Only chance would be to get a top Free Agent or 2 in 2021. (Antetokounmpo).

Just my opinion........(Celtics fan. So take this for what it is worth. Not much to some of you I am sure).

On 7/1/2019 at 11:56 PM, Auction>Snake said:

I can't wait for the salty tears.

The Warriors cried in the parking lot on the phone to KD because they absolutely knew they couldn't beat the GOAT. 2015 championship was a total sham, a complete fluke without Kyrie & Love it was a gift from above. Met in secret in the hamptons, the hampton 5 meeting was a pathetic scenario by 5 gutless individuals who knew they couldn't beat LeBron. You reap what you sow. Paper champions.

So glad KL went to Clippers..

That is all.

2 hours ago, dino10k said:

Let's look at these 6 rotation players - Rondo KCP Cousins Dudley Green Bradley I won't say has-beens but.....All 6 have played their best basketball. There is a reason why no one wanted these guys.

Ah, yes, let's take a not so arbitrarily incomplete look at an incomplete part of the whole picture, shall we?

The reason "nobody wanted these guys"? Rondo is chasing a ring, so he was going to come back all along because, you know, the team is good. KCP is with Klutch. Why go somewhere else when you know the Lakers will overpay you?

Cousins, too, is chasing a ring, and isn't worth the risk to non-contenders.

Green? Lol. Green had already told the media he was waiting to sign until Kawhi made a decision. Then Kawhi screwed him, so he took a starting position with the Lakers. As I already posted elsewhere, Green is one of the best role players in the league, so that doesn't really fit your narrative.

Dudley and Bradley are both garbage, but you don't need to run a 14-man rotation in the playoffs. Dudley, in particular, has a vet min. He doesn't hurt the team at all, and he won't be getting meaningful minutes.

Who cares if they've "played their best basketball"? The majority of the guys you mentioned will be contributors next season, and you deliberately ignored not only Caruso and Cook (and Daniels) to fit your narrative (because they're also all going to be solid role players), but you ignored the fact that the Lakers have arguably the two best players in the NBA right now.

The Lakers have a ton of depth, they also have a quality starting lineup. Good luck with your Celtics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bsu27 said:

Avery Bradley is was good on D at least. 

Fixed that for ya. Oldest 28-year old in the league last season. I dunno what happened to the guy. I'd love a return to form, but it's a long shot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bsu27 said:

LeBron - Rondo/Caruso

Green - Bradley/Cook

Kuzma - KCP/Melo?

AD - Dudley

Cousins - McGee

Melo? Man, I know it's been a bad week, but now you're just being mean. Why u hurt me like that?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Never understood the mentality of walking into a bar you don’t like, because you don’t like the drinks/service and talking crap about the place. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Never understood the mentality of walking into a bar you don’t like, because you don’t like the drinks/service and talking crap about the place. 

A man walked into a bar. It hurt.

Rimshot!!!!

Ill be here all week.

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 9:18 PM, Ajax said:

There's a reason they're eager to trade him...He's a negative on offense. Same reason you got rid of Ball is why I don't see the Lakers going after another PG that can't shoot. 

I guess we are done making big moves so this might be moot now. All the options left on the board are imperfect.

I agree Ntilikina has weaknesses, and is at best a streak shooter. But man that perimeter defense with those long arms could be something. Lakers badly need perimeter defense. Now that LeBron is going to play PG (which is a good thing) I think they switch on defense so that the SG guards the opposing PG, and they hide LeBron at SF or PF on defense. Otherwise he is too big a liability. Hell, I'd rather have AD guard the opposing SG than let LeBron guard either guard. I'd love to see Iggy come over, but even he is old and losing lateral movement. 

Who will guard both guard spots? Not Caruso. Not Rondo anymore. These guys will get torched in the modern NBA on D.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

I guess we are done making big moves so this might be moot now. All the options left on the board are imperfect.

I agree Ntilikina has weaknesses, and is at best a streak shooter. But man that perimeter defense with those long arms could be something. Lakers badly need perimeter defense. Now that LeBron is going to play PG (which is a good thing) I think they switch on defense so that the SG guards the opposing PG, and they hide LeBron at SF or PF on defense. Otherwise he is too big a liability. Hell, I'd rather have AD guard the opposing SG than let LeBron guard either guard. I'd love to see Iggy come over, but even he is old and losing lateral movement. 

Who will guard both guard spots? Not Caruso. Not Rondo anymore. These guys will get torched in the modern NBA on D.

I guess that’s why you signed guys like Avery Bradley and Danny Green. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, miasma16 said:

He was pretty horrible last year, and he's been overrated on D for a while. I don't think he'll be in the rotation in spring. 

Agreed, and they were probably choosing between a risk on Bradley, vs. the offensively-limited Nwaba. I'd take Nwaba's stellar defense, leaving enough dry powder for their last slot to sign Iggy if he frees up.

They clearly think Bradley has a chance, and at worst can camp out and hit a 3-ball. We will see. They already have better options for that.

Note Rob Pelinka used to be Bradley's agent. Hmmmm.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Green? Lol. Green had already told the media he was waiting to sign until Kawhi made a decision. Then Kawhi screwed him, so he took a starting position with the Lakers. As I already posted elsewhere, Green is one of the best role players in the league, so that doesn't really fit your narrative.

Green had a nice regular season, but he was terrible in the Playoffs. Near unplayable for big chunks. His D is still good (although it too is declining), but when his shot isn't dropping he brings zero on offense and he doesn't move very well off the ball like other shooters (see reddick). He is a MASSIVE overpay. I like Danny so good for him, but he's trending down. Same as basically every player the lakers signed. If you laker fans wanted this to be a feel good circle jerk, then take it to a laker blog. You're not going to get a love in here, just reality. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Alex Caruso will probably play more than Rondo or Bradley. His "best basketball" is ahead of him in the next few years.....Lets hope so anyway....

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Jake the snake said:

Green had a nice regular season, but he was terrible in the Playoffs. Near unplayable for big chunks. His D is still good (although it too is declining), but when his shot isn't dropping he brings zero on offense and he doesn't move very well off the ball like other shooters (see reddick). He is a MASSIVE overpay. I like Danny so good for him, but he's trending down. Same as basically every player the lakers signed. If you laker fans wanted this to be a feel good circle jerk, then take it to a laker blog. You're not going to get a love in here, just reality. 

Im a magic fan so im pretty neutral, just wanted to point out a good majority of Role players are useless on offense when they're shot isn't falling, thats why they are role players hah, you mentioning that when his shot isnt falling (hes a good shooter anyway) he still is good on D which actually proves hes a very valuable role player for almost any NBA playoff contender, overpay or not we will see but the utility of Green isnt in question as a very valuable role player

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Jake the snake said:

I'll take the 80 game sample over the 20 game sample for someone that is a notoriously streaky shooter but still finished the year shooting 46% from deep. He doesn't even need to hit 3s, just to be respected and space the floor. He does both. You're not participating in reality, you're just drawing false conclusions based on information you don't understand. 

Green on defense is not a problem, he is a positive on that end of the court.

Problem is when his shoot isn't falling, opposing defense can ignore him and collapse to the paint.  And that will cause additional problems for AD and LBJ,  because this Lakers roster is lacking on 3P shooting and defense.

I doubt that he will keep his 3P% above 42% this year. Looking at his career 3P%, last season on a very deep Raptors team full of 3P shooters looks like an anomaly

9 hours ago, dino10k said:

Alex Caruso will probably play more than Rondo or Bradley. His "best basketball" is ahead of him in the next few years.....Lets hope so anyway....

D-7LVhcX4AEtSsh.jpg:large

28 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Green on defense is not a problem, he is a positive on that end of the court.

Problem is when his shoot isn't falling, opposing defense can ignore him and collapse to the paint.  And that will cause additional problems for AD and LBJ,  because this Lakers roster is lacking on 3P shooting and defense.

I doubt that he will keep his 3P% above 42% this year. Looking at his career 3P%, last season on a very deep Raptors team full of 3P shooters looks like an anomaly

This confuses me a bit

Are you saying teams mid game will try and see if his shot is falling and at that point decide whether or not they can ignore him on the 3pt line? seems a little far fetched imo

because other than that im not sure how a team would know if his shot is falling, wouldnt it make more sense that teams know hes a good 3 point shooter so will always be conscious to not leave him open?

3 pt shooters can catch fire at anytime not sure any team would leave Danny Green open and his 40% career 3pt %

• Like 4