Gile Pile

LA Lakers 2019-2020 Season Thread

1 hour ago, kmoore1521 said:

This confuses me a bit

Are you saying teams mid game will try and see if his shot is falling and at that point decide whether or not they can ignore him on the 3pt line? seems a little far fetched imo

because other than that im not sure how a team would know if his shot is falling, wouldnt it make more sense that teams know hes a good 3 point shooter so will always be conscious to not leave him open?

3 pt shooters can catch fire at anytime not sure any team would leave Danny Green open and his 40% career 3pt %

After watching Raptors  a lot last season this is what I've noticed:

Opposing team will leave him relatively open at the start of the game.

If he misses first few times, next time he gets the ball behind 3 point line, he starts to "think" what to do with the ball.  More often than not he will pass. And that split second where he "thinks" what to do gives defense enough time to recover.

There were long stretches during the games where he wasn't guarded at all because he was passing the ball  instead of shooting. If your 3P threat isn't a treat for 15 minutes it affects your team. This is why he only played 28 min per game (Redick for example was at 31 min).

And in loaded West those 15 min can be the difference between W and L

He is  a very good signing for Lakers, but I do not think that  he alone is the answer to Lakers 3P shooting

• Like 2

Defense do not consistently leave Danny Green open behind the 3-point line to start games, lol. What are you talking about?

4 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Defense do not consistently leave Danny Green open behind the 3-point line to start games, lol. What are you talking about?

I am talking about what I have seen after watching almost every  Raptors game in regular season. Some people will agree, some will not. I can live with that 

3 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

I am talking about what I have seen after watching almost every  Raptors game in regular season. Some people will agree, some will not. I can live with that 

What you're seeing clearly wasn't there. I've watched enough Raptor games last year to know that opposing defenses weren't stupid enough to dare the 2nd highest percentage 3-point shooter in the NBA to take open 3s. And it wasn't much of a surprise.

2 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

What you're seeing clearly wasn't there. I've watched enough Raptor games last year to know that opposing defenses weren't stupid enough to dare the 2nd highest percentage 3-point shooter in the NBA to take open 3s. And it wasn't much of a surprise.

Then we see things differently. 

Green never averaged more than 12 pts per season.

His 3P% was high on a relatively low number of attempts (5.4 attempts, 55th  between all players who played at least 10 games).

Teams can safely leave him  open to start the game and if he gets hot start guarding him all the time.   As a scorer, he is not a  major threat 9only 4 games last year with 20+ points).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Then we see things differently. 

Green never averaged more than 12 pts per season.

His 3P% was high on a relatively low number of attempts (5.4 attempts, 55th  between all players who played at least 10 games).

Teams can safely leave him  open to start the game and if he gets hot start guarding him all the time.   As a scorer, he is not a  major threat 9only 4 games last year with 20+ points).

You seem to see math differently. He was 13th in the NBA in made 3s. Teams did not at all do what you're saying they did, and why would they? You're making things up to support your weird argument.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jake the snake said:

Green had a nice regular season, but he was terrible in the Playoffs. Near unplayable for big chunks. His D is still good (although it too is declining), but when his shot isn't dropping he brings zero on offense and he doesn't move very well off the ball like other shooters (see reddick). He is a MASSIVE overpay. I like Danny so good for him, but he's trending down. Same as basically every player the lakers signed. If you laker fans wanted this to be a feel good circle jerk, then take it to a laker blog. You're not going to get a love in here, just reality. 

Reddick is not a fair comp. JJ is the best in the league right now at moving without the ball to get an open look. That guy is an assassin. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Reddick is not a fair comp. JJ is the best in the league right now at moving without the ball to get an open look. That guy is an assassin. 

One again you guys are trying to polish turds. Yes green is not reddick because 1. His off ball movement is not very good (he camps and waits rather than chases shots), 2. Green is a poor passer, 3. He has zero post game, 4. He has nothing of the dribble (cause he can't dribble), 5. He is a pretty good defender, but like I have said he is declining. His defense fell off during the playoffs with his shot. He's not strong enough to guard bigger wings and can't stick with guards that move off the ball like he used to (FVV was the guy over him in the finals and doing the job on reddick vs the 76ers), his athleticism is nothing what it used to be. 6. He dropped off to 33% from deep on 1.6 made threes on 6.9 ppg in the Playoffs on 24 games, which isn't that small a sample size. Like I said good for Danny (that contract is a huge over pay) cause he is one of the best dudes in the league, but he is declining rapidly and you're all massively overrating him. Best thing he'll bring is experience to help with the young guys like he did at the raptors... Oh wait, lakers have no young guys for the next decade 😅.

Cousins is useful but has lost his pop and with his size so you really expect him to get it back, he was poor pat injuries and the AD cousins front court didn't work before (and I'm far from convinced of t his locker room presence) . Bradley had fallen off a cliff on both ends - worth a gamble but if you're relying on a big bounce back you're in a bit of a pickle. Kuzma who was there is a good fit offensively but his defense is rubbish and LBJ doesn't play D anymore so  who is covering these glaring holes? Danny Green 🤣? Javale, GOAT of shaqtin - showed once again he can't Handle a full season. The rest are simply scrubs no matter how many times you rub and scrub those brown butt logs... Isnt alex coruso from one of those CSI shows? 

AD and LBJ are going to have to play massive minutes, which has never turned out well for AD and didn't last season for LBJ,who is a legend but no matter how you look at it is declining and showing signs of wear of a very very heavy workload during his career. 

As far as title favourites go this is how I would rank them:

Clippers

76ers

Bucks

Warriors

Jazz

Rockets

Then maybe lakers about the same as nuggets. 

Blazers

Raptors (to round out top 10).

Edited by Jake the snake

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

This is it. Teams put their weakest defenders (that tend to sag off him and help too) on Green always and he never punishes them. Also All his offensive stats are propped up by big games where he does get hot (game 4 in finals for example) in regular season and playoffs. He puts up a lot of stinkers and can't contribute on offense (and less so on D these days too) in other ways to cover poor shooting nights. And like you say he is quite easy to control when he gets hot if you a decent coach, just send a good cover and stay on him tight which isn't that hard because he doesn't move well off the ball. 

Edited by Jake the snake
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jake the snake said:

3. He has zero post game

And you're comparing him to JJ Redick?

Bro, don't hurt yourself trying to hate on the Lakers.

• Like 1

Can see Green’s role being reduced as season progresses. It took nurse a while but he finally figured that out come finals time. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, miasma16 said:

And you're comparing him to JJ Redick?

Bro, don't hurt yourself trying to hate on the Lakers.

Obviously neither has a post game and you know what I mean. I'm not the one trying to make him into an all star here. He's a limited player, I've just highlighted those limitations because all you guys want to do is over play what he is and feel good about the team not getting its optimal targets. Even the article @hornrimmed_rambis listed talks about green guarding 2-3s and him being a great defender, but you actually believe he can defende George or Kawhi? And he was a great positional defender now he is a good positional defender and declining. Contrary to that article I think he would be better served guarding PGs than 3s, although he still struggles with really speedy guards. That's all just reality that you'd rather focus on semantics to deflect. 

Edited by Jake the snake

cp3-westbrook trade! cp3 prob getting bought out to join LAL. Can't wait to see Rondo and Cp3 on the same team lol

5 minutes ago, thrilla1nManila said:

cp3-westbrook trade! cp3 prob getting bought out to join LAL. Can't wait to see Rondo and Cp3 on the same team lol

I'm a Lakers fan too but unless CP3 is signing for the minimum he isn't coming. Imagine the possibilities though.

2 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

I'm a Lakers fan too but unless CP3 is signing for the minimum he isn't coming. Imagine the possibilities though.

wont he still get his money from OKC and can sign for the min with LAL?

1 minute ago, thrilla1nManila said:

wont he still get his money from OKC and can sign for the min with LAL?

I mean he could but I don't believe OKC is planning on letting him go anyways. 

3 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

I mean he could but I don't believe OKC is planning on letting him go anyways. 

Cp3 gets his way tho. They have no reason to hold on to him. 1.) no one will trade for him 2.) they can afford to pay him since all their draft picks will get paid pennies next few years. 

3 minutes ago, thrilla1nManila said:

Cp3 gets his way tho. They have no reason to hold on to him. 1.) no one will trade for him 2.) they can afford to pay him since all their draft picks will get paid pennies next few years. 

He very well could get bought out. My guess is they hold him for a while then eat part of his salary and move him at the deadline to a contender and get another pick or two back for him.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

He very well could get bought out. My guess is they hold him for a while then eat part of his salary and move him at the deadline to a contender and get another pick or two back for him.

that is exactly what I was thinking.  OKC is not a contender anymore, they have tons of draft picks now.  Wait for a while and send CP on his way.

If he does get bought out and ends up on the Lakers then it's gg's noobs.  The title will probably go to an LA team.  The Clippers are already ahead of the Jazz and anyone in the East imo.  This would put the Lakers neck and neck with the Clippers.  It's a good time if you live in LA.  

Posted (edited)

Paul has 3 more years on his deal. $38 million upcoming, $40 million the following 2 years. Then when he can barely walk up a flight of stairs on his final year, you know he's going to opt in on his player option. No way he's getting bought out.

Edited by Trench Mob
  • Like 2

I swear. If something crazy happens like Lakers get Curry people will still find a way to bash the lakes haha. 😁