Gile Pile

LA Lakers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

That was prime LBJ. Where are Miami and Cavs now?

Lakers got 35 year old coming back from the first major injury in his career, no draft picks for the foreseeable  future and no cap space to build roster capable of winning championship around LBJ and AD. 

Looks like another 5 years without championship in Lakers land

Been following basketball since the very early 90s/late 80s. Some teams have had 0 competitive teams realistic to win a championship in that entire time frame.  If you win 1 championship, every move to justify that championship is generally worth it (in any sport).  The Miami Heat won 2 championship. If they are "screwed" for 10 years (and I'm not sure you can put 10 years on Lebron leaving, or really 1 honestly), then that is very much worth it.  The City of Cleveland in 3 major sports hadn't won a championship since the 50s.  He totally screwed them too.

You have a window, you go for it.  Trying to replicate what the Warriors have done will be impossible.  They legit tanked and lost games on purpose to land Klay, and parlayed Curry's ankle injuries into a smaller contract allowing then to sign Durant while finding diamond in the rough Green.  This was amazing.  All credit to him, but thinking someone else can land a squad like that with is nuts.  You have some good players, you go for it. Sixers have been trusting the Process for almost a decade now and this was their best year. No guarantee they ever make a finals.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Lakers got 35 year old coming back from the first major injury in his career, no draft picks for the foreseeable  future and no cap space to build roster capable of winning championship around LBJ and AD. 

How many draft picks did they have with Kobe and Shaq? 

There is two types of teams in the NBA. There are teams who horde draft picks and win nothing or just be mediocre their whole life, and there are teams who sacrifice their future for now. Two teams have 19/18 championships respectively, and there are teams with 0/1 championships.

Every NBA champion in last 20+ years was at least 7-8 deep. Usually 2 or 3 stars with 5-6 very good players.

Kobe and Shaq  teams had Fisher, Fox, Horry, Harper, Shaw...

Philly team had Iverson and Eric Snow.  Indy had Reggie Miller and Mark Jackson ...

When Cavs won,  they had LBJ, Irving, Love

Miami teams had LBJ, Wade, Bosh, Battier, Mike Miller, Ray Allen...

Lakers current roster has 2 stars and 1  good player.   I don't see how they can build a deep roster (must have imo) to be a real contender.

Lakers currently have 2 starters LBJ and AD, Kuzma of the bench (he should be 6th man imo) and no other players that I can remember without using Google.

LBJ and AD cannot play 48 minutes, good luck winning it all with 35 year old LBJ and "ironman' AD  against any deep playoff team that can wear you down. 

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27015402/how-nba-draft-sets-league-altering-free-agency  

2. How are the Lakers going to fill out their roster?

Outside of LeBron James, Anthony Davis and 2019 second-round pick Talen Horton-Tucker, the Lakers have only four players on the books in Kyle Kuzma, Moritz Wagner, Isaac Bonga and Jemerrio Jones -- and all but Kuzma could wind up on the move between now and July 6, when the NBA's moratorium on transactions comes to an end.

NBA draft pick-by-pick analysis: How every prospect fits

Depending on when the Lakers time their trade with the Pelicans for Davis, they'll have two options: spend a large chunk of money on one big piece, or split it up among several rotation players. Either way, Los Angeles will have an extremely thin roster around its two star forwards.

When James united with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami in 2010, the Heat had Udonis Haslem, Mike Miller, Mario Chalmers and a roster full of castoffs. At this point, it's hard to see the Lakers even being that deep -- and James is about to turn 35.

If anyone is capable of making it work, it's LeBron. Still, that's an awfully big burden to put on James and Davis. The West is wide open, but the Golden State Warriors had more star power atop their roster and greater depth than these Lakers will have. That still wasn't enough. It's going to take a lot of creativity from L.A.'s front office to pull this off.

14 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Every NBA champion in last 20+ years was at least 7-8 deep. Usually 2 or 3 stars with 5-6 very good players.

Kobe and Shaq  teams had Fisher, Fox, Horry, Harper, Shaw...

Philly team had Iverson and Eric Snow.  Indy had Reggie Miller and Mark Jackson ...

When Cavs won,  they had LBJ, Irving, Love

Miami teams had LBJ, Wade, Bosh, Battier, Mike Miller, Ray Allen...

Lakers current roster has 2 stars and 1  good player.   I don't see how they can build a deep roster (must have imo) to be a real contender.

Lakers currently have 2 starters LBJ and AD, Kuzma of the bench (he should be 6th man imo) and no other players that I can remember without using Google.

LBJ and AD cannot play 48 minutes, good luck winning it all with 35 year old LBJ and "ironman' AD  against any deep playoff team that can wear you down. 

Is it June 30th yet? July 6th? You seem to want all the answers today. They Lakers plan was to come into this Free Agency with room to sign players because almost a 3rd of the league are FA/RFA. Secondly, it up to players to decide if they want to play with Lebron and Anthony Davis in Los Angeles; which IMO shouldn’t be that hard to do, but you know some players like playing for crappy teams cough *Kemba* cough. Lastly, let’s just say hypothetically the Lakers don’t get anybody significant and waste Lebron years; if AD re-signs with the Lakers, you still have a 28 year old Anthony Davis who is ready to take the torch. I rather have to restart my team with a player like Anthony Davis, then have to restart my team with Ingram and Lonzo.

• Like 2

First heat team didn't have Allen and Mike Miller was a 0 most of the year. If all it takes to be part of depth is to be hot for a playoff game or two, that's not a high bar.

The Lakers have two top 5 players in the game and people are saying they're screwed, aren't winning any titles, and have no hope. 😂 I know the Raptors won but you guys already had the parade, time to come back down to earth. The Lakers will be legit contenders next year, and the year after that, and probably the year after that too. Maybe even 5 years after that when NO is still "controlling" our draft. Over the next 6 years where we are totally screwed, we will pick in 4/6 of those drafts. But yeah we're screwed. 😂 There's a reason why some teams have no titles or have had very little success. The Lakers have 16 banners hanging in Staples Center for a reason. We make power moves, other teams stockpile picks. Sure that works sometimes but look at how many times it's failed. You can pick 10 years in a row in the lottery and still come away with no success. The Lakers are getting a 26 YEAR OLD SUPERSTAR who might not even be fully in his prime yet and pairing him with the greatest player of this generation and the 2nd best to ever do it. If you think the Lakers are better off with Bron and the kids you're delusional. The window for him is only a few years. I'll take my chances with Bron, AD, Kuz, and anywhere between 23-32 million in cap space this summer. And I forgot about our picks in 4 out of the next 6 drafts. You can have the rest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

How many draft picks did they have with Kobe and Shaq?

They had Glenn Rice, Horace Grant, Robert Horry (who was more than 'just' a role player and already a two time champ) and Ron Harper (who WAS just a role player, but one that played a lot of minutes and already had three rings).

Also, no one on this team is as good as prime Shaq at this point, although I'll concede AD has the potential to reach that for a season or two.  LeBron is probably worse than that Kobe now, since he takes quarters on defense off.

3 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Two teams have 19/18 championships respectively, and there are teams with 0/1 championships. 

No team has even 18 championships.

Anyway, am I the only one that thinks the Lakers could be better off with Collison than they would be Kemba?  They don't need another 24 ppg scorer, that's the one role they DONT need, unless it were a healthy Klay.  They need shooting.

1 minute ago, Pyschout said:

Anyway, am I the only one that thinks the Lakers could be better off with Collison than they would be Kemba?  They don't need another 24 ppg scorer, that's the one role they DONT need, unless it were a healthy Klay.  They need shooting.

Unless it's Kawhi, I think the Lakers would be better off without another max FA, assuming Klay resigns with GS of course.

16 hours ago, Pyschout said:

They had Glenn Rice, Horace Grant, Robert Horry (who was more than 'just' a role player and already a two time champ) and Ron Harper (who WAS just a role player, but one that played a lot of minutes and already had three rings).

Also, no one on this team is as good as prime Shaq at this point, although I'll concede AD has the potential to reach that for a season or two.  LeBron is probably worse than that Kobe now, since he takes quarters on defense off.

No team has even 18 championships.

Sorry I meant 17/16 championships, still a significant amount.

Secondly, you name players like Glenn Rice, Horace Grant & Robert Horry. My original argument was that during the Lakers 3 peat finals with Kobe and Shaq, they didn't have many draft picks on their roster. The first title they had Mark Madsen and Medvendenko. Ron Harper signed as a free agent, Glen Rice was traded for Horace Grant and Cedirc Ceballos in 97 was traded for Robert Horry. Lakers have always been known for "trading" for players to compete. Hell they traded Kwame Brown, the draft rights to Marc Gasol and two first round picks to acquire Pau Gasol and what did that lead to?? 2 championships in 3 years. It's a part of life.

You guys are forgetting a few things that I think are worth mentioning about why the Lakers have 16 titles.  It's not to be derogatory nor complimentary toward the Lakers, but it's crucial to understand.  The Lakers have been around since 1948.  Granted, that was the Minneapolis Lakers.  They moved to LA in 1960.  In LA they've had 59 swings at bat.  16 for 59 is still amazing but most NBA teams haven't had so many chances.  In 1960 there were 8 nba teams.  8.  The season was 79 games, the Lakers went 36-43, and made the playoffs.  There was no three point line.

IMO you can't really include titles prior to 1980ish as the game was completely different back then.  It was also before many of us were born.  Since the 1980's there have been three great Lakers runs: Showtime; Kobe/Shaq; Kobe/Gasol.  I won't take anything away from those runs, they were great teams.  But the last time they won the title was 2010.  

Now consider this: LA is actually a place most people want to live AND there is basketball history there.  They can attract FA the way other teams can't.  So it's a little insulting to small market teams when you start to compare the ability to attract and/or trade for FA to building through the draft.  The small market teams don't build through the draft because they think it will win titles, they do so because they're forced to do so given their limitations. 

It's not merely just the ability to attract FA either, things were different prior to the salary cap.  Larry H. Miller was one of the least wealthy owners in the NBA and that capped what he could do in the 1980s and 1990s.  The Jazz got rid of Dominique Wilkins because they couldn't pay him.  Not that they couldn't pay him under the cap.  No.  He literally didn't have the money to pay him.  Wilkins believes he could have won titles with Stockton to Malone.  They probably could have.  

My point is to merely point out those titles were not all the result of being some genius front office. In the 1980s and 1990s the Lakers had a brilliant front office, but their front office in recent years, let's say since 2010 has been trash.  Those titles are partially the result of being around longer than most teams (and having more at bats) and partially due to being a desirable location for free agents.  It's the sort of thing that starts to snowball as well.  Show players you can win a title and more will want to join.

The Lakers have figured out basketball the way the Yankees have figured out baseball: pay for stars.  But don't act as if the ability to draw free agents or trade for stars is some brilliant master plan no one else has have conceived. 

I'm not going to comment as to their chances of winning with Lebron/AD because we don't know.  I think they're going to be one of many contenders who can strike with the Warriors weakened.           

Now this isn't some moralistic stance.  I believe in the Free Market.  If free agents want to go to LA, let them.  If the Lakers can trade for them, that's good too.  I think it's good to have diversity in the NBA, large markets/small markets, david v. goliath, etc.  The Lakers are a huge goliath because they've been around for so long and they're in the biggest U.S. city.

As far as why there are so many Laker's haters...I think it's jealousy in part, even though people won't admit it.  They're jealous of the Lakers the same way they're jealous of the Yankees: history and access to more resources.  And they hate the Lakers the same way they hate the Yankees.  The other thing about the California teams if that you have a lot of bandwagon fans that maybe have never even been to LA.  If you live in CA then you're going to root for CA teams.  No problem.  But it's the fact that if you go to Asia 90%+ of people who wear a jersey are going to wear either the Lakers or Warriors.  

• Like 3

Historically, the Lakers have had great front offices. Everyone makes it sound like all the Lakers do is sign top free agents but that is not true. They've signed Shaq and Bron. That's it. Out of all the big stars they've had, only two have come via free agency. There's clearly more to the story than just being in a big city with brand potential. The front office has historically been great at drafting and trading for players. Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Magic Johnson, James Worthy, Kobe Bryant (draft day trade), etc. were all Laker draft picks. Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Pau Gasol, Dwight Howard, and now Anthony Davis were trades made by the Lakers. They've always either found their own talent, like the small market teams are forced to do, or made power moves in trades. That's what the Lakers do. Two big name free agent signings 20 years apart from each other is the outlier. The Lakers don't usually sign big names, they draft or trade for them. 

Also, since the modern NBA began in 1980, the Lakers are clearly the NBA's most successful team. We've won 9 championships in the modern era, not too shabby. The poster above stated that you can't count the Lakers championships prior to 1980 but yet made no mention of the Celtics, who by the way, won 13 of their 17 titles prior to 1980. Interesting to leave that out. The Lakers are the NBA's biggest, most successful team and that's all there is to it. People hate them because they want to be like them. Anyone can do it, as I pointed out above. You just gotta have a great scouting department and make big moves in trades. The Lakers have done both their whole history. Again, just two big name FA signings 20 years apart. 

34 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

We've won 9 championships in the modern era, not too shabby. The poster above stated that you can't count the Lakers championships prior to 1980 but yet made no mention of the Celtics, who by the way, won 13 of their 17 titles prior to 1980. Interesting to leave that out. The Lakers are the NBA's biggest, most successful team and that's all there is to it. People hate them because they want to be like them. Anyone can do it, as I pointed out above. You just gotta have a great scouting department and make big moves in trades. The Lakers have done both their whole history. Again, just two big name FA signings 20 years apart. 

1) No, you haven’t won 9 championships in the modern era.  The Lakers have.  Unless you’re in the Lakers front office or have played for them.

2) I knew someone would bring up the Celtics.  It’s a dumb straw argument because it presumes everyone is either a Celtics fan or a Lakers fan. I care about the Celtics titles during the Vietnam era about as equally as I care about the Lakers titles.  The difference being that Celtics fans are generally less obnoxious about their legacy than the Lakers fans.  Generally. There are reasonable Lakers fans. 

3) One thing lakers fans paradoxically repeat incessantly yet also refuse to admit is their legacy.  Yes, the Lakers front office has bigger balls in trading for  stars, but that’s because they’re more confident those stars will stay.  Those “trades” you reference were closer to sign and trades than actual trades.  The Lakers a** ****** Orlando twice first with Shaq and then with Dwight.  Now you’re going to say those were brilliant front office trades.  The reality is those players forced their way to LA.  Now the same is happening with AD.  

4) Btw I don’t blame the Lakers AT ALL.  If Shaq, Dwight, and AD falls in your lap then you take them.  And they did make some good moves eg they took a risk in Kobe.  

5) But it’s a reflection of the fact that players want to play in LA.  Why do they want to play in LA?  Part tradition but mostly because they want to live in LA.  Congratulations you binked the lottery by being in one of the most desirable markets.  And part of that winning tradition happened prior to those expansion teams even being formed so they couldn’t form a legacy.  They started the race behind. 

6) I’m not even trying to be derogatory toward LA.  A lot of that they can’t help. They were one of the original teams so they won early and established a legacy.  It’s a desirable market.  All facts.  The only thing that bothers me is the macho postering.  

You were born on third and you think you hit a triple. 

Congrats.  Honestly.  You’re the fan of a historically successful team.  Let’s just be honest about what that means.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

1) No, you haven’t won 9 championships in the modern era.  The Lakers have.  Unless you’re in the Lakers front office or have played for them.

2) I knew someone would bring up the Celtics.  It’s a dumb straw argument because it presumes everyone is either a Celtics fan or a Lakers fan. I care about the Celtics titles during the Vietnam era about as equally as I care about the Lakers titles.  The difference being that Celtics fans are generally less obnoxious about their legacy than the Lakers fans.  Generally. There are reasonable Lakers fans. 

3) One thing lakers fans paradoxically repeat incessantly yet also refuse to admit is their legacy.  Yes, the Lakers front office has bigger balls in trading for  stars, but that’s because they’re more confident those stars will stay.  Those “trades” you reference were closer to sign and trades than actual trades.  The Lakers a** ****** Orlando twice first with Shaq and then with Dwight.  Now you’re going to say those were brilliant front office trades.  The reality is those players forced their way to LA.  Now the same is happening with AD.  

4) Btw I don’t blame the Lakers AT ALL.  If Shaq, Dwight, and AD falls in your lap then you take them.  And they did make some good moves eg they took a risk in Kobe.  

5) But it’s a reflection of the fact that players want to play in LA.  Why do they want to play in LA?  Part tradition but mostly because they want to live in LA.  Congratulations you binked the lottery by being in one of the most desirable markets.  And part of that winning tradition happened prior to those expansion teams even being formed so they couldn’t form a legacy.  They started the race behind. 

6) I’m not even trying to be derogatory toward LA.  A lot of that they can’t help. They were one of the original teams so they won early and established a legacy.  It’s a desirable market.  All facts.  The only thing that bothers me is the macho postering.  

Congrats.  Honestly.  You’re the fan of a historically successful team.  Let’s just be honest about what that means.

We're really gonna nitpick over the use of a word? Okay, no problem, but you're gonna need to bring @Jake the snake in this. Sorry bro, you didn't win a championship with YOUR team. The team won, not you. Please don't use "we" or "we're" in other threads like you have referencing Toronto's championship victory. The fans didn't have any part in winning it, that was a team victory that didn't include you AT ALL by supporting the team throughout the season. 

It's just petty at this point but I'm actually shocked you would even say something like that. Total ignorance. 

• Haha 2

On 6/21/2019 at 11:12 AM, Gile Pile said:

You do realize that LBJ was completely healthy the last few games of the regular season right? And that was more than 2 months ago? He is well rested and healthy. He came in the league at 18 and like you said last season was the only major injury he ever suffered. And the rehab didn’t required major surgery. He is a still a beast and nobody in the league take care of their body like LBJ. 

I am willing to bet a big amount of money that LBJ will get another ring before it is all said and done. 

He did put up PTS 27.4 TRB 8.5 AST 8.3 last season. 

All above his career avg. 

Just saying, LAL will be fine once they get the “3rd” star. 

12 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

We're really gonna nitpick over the use of a word? Okay, no problem, but you're gonna need to bring @Jake the snake in this. Sorry bro, you didn't win a championship with YOUR team. The team won, not you. Please don't use "we" or "we're" in other threads like you have referencing Toronto's championship victory. The fans didn't have any part in winning it, that was a team victory that didn't include you AT ALL by supporting the team throughout the season. 

It's just petty at this point but I'm actually shocked you would even say something like that. Total ignorance. 

#WEthechamps

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

Yes, I think it’s annoying when fans of other teams say “we won”.  Congrats that the team you follow won.  If it’s your hometown team all the better.

interesting that’s the only point you addressed.  

I wrote two two posts that weren’t even remotely critical of the Lakers merely explanatory from both sides why the lakers are both admired and disliked.  

To save time.  TLDR: the lakers are one of the most successful franchises in basketball.  Largely owing to advantages they have that no other franchise has.  It’s not as if Jeanie Buss did her homework, really sat down with analytics, and found that LeBron and AD were great players.  No.  Lebron came to LA because he wants to live in LA and AD demanded to be traded to LA because he wanted to be in LA.  People don’t want to go to SLC or Wisconsin the same way.  There’s no reason to get upset about that.  

59 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Yes, I think it’s annoying when fans of other teams say “we won”.  Congrats that the team you follow won.  If it’s your hometown team all the better.

interesting that’s the only point you addressed.  

I wrote two two posts that weren’t even remotely critical of the Lakers merely explanatory from both sides why the lakers are both admired and disliked.  

To save time.  TLDR: the lakers are one of the most successful franchises in basketball.  Largely owing to advantages they have that no other franchise has.  It’s not as if Jeanie Buss did her homework, really sat down with analytics, and found that LeBron and AD were great players.  No.  Lebron came to LA because he wants to live in LA and AD demanded to be traded to LA because he wanted to be in LA.  People don’t want to go to SLC or Wisconsin the same way.  There’s no reason to get upset about that.  

We don't see eye to eye I suppose. I'm a Lakers fan so I'm biased. I've already stated my position, there's nothing left to say for me. I respect your opinion on players and you're one of the main posters on here. I just respectfully disagree. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

We don't see eye to eye I suppose. I'm a Lakers fan so I'm biased. I've already stated my position, there's nothing left to say for me. I respect your opinion on players and you're one of the main posters on here. I just respectfully disagree. 

Thanks.  Agree to disagree.  That’s fair. Now I have a question not to start an argument but out of curiosity...were you born and raised in LA?

5 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

@StifleTower2, just to add a different perspective, imagine being hated, by everyone, not for something you did but for who/what you were born as. Like, say, every time you left your house, random people you didn't know threw s--- at you. Daily, for your entire life. That's what it's like for Laker fans. 

I was born and raised in Los Angeles, like my parents were and their parents before them. The Lakers weren't some team that I "picked" because they were good and they won a lot. They were just the local basketball team that played down the street. My friends, family, and neighbors were all fans. I was stunned when I grew up and learned that the rest of the planet hated them. It made no sense to me. 

What did make sense was Celtics fans hating our team. They've been rivals of the Lakers for 57 years. The teams/fan bases hate each other. But while the Celtics get hate from one direction, the Lakers get hate from all directions. 

Take this thread, for example. It was started by @Gile Pile. He's a Raptors fan from Canada who does basically nothing on this forum but post negative comments trashing the Lakers. It's why he started this thread. The Raptors and Lakers have no history together, no rivalry. But he hates the L.A. Lakers for some unfathomable reason. His team just won the NBA title and he's right back to s----talking the Lakers on this forum. Weird, right? Now multiply guys like him by millions and imagine them all talking s--- about your team, the Utah Jazz. Not once, but all day, every day.

So what some might perceive as arrogance or posturing by Laker fans really stems from a place of extreme annoyance from people hating something that you love, for no reason that can be identified. It's a defensive reaction to a lifetime of random acts of rudeness by people who happen to not be from where you're from. 

Just a different look to think about. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kaboom said:

@StifleTower2, just to add a different perspective, imagine being hated, by everyone, not for something you did but for who/what you were born as. Like, say, every time you left your house, random people you didn't know threw s--- at you. Daily, for your entire life. That's what it's like for Laker fans. 

I was born and raised in Los Angeles, like my parents were and their parents before them. The Lakers weren't some team that I "picked" because they were good and they won a lot. They were just the local basketball team that played down the street. My friends, family, and neighbors were all fans. I was stunned when I grew up and learned that the rest of the planet hated them. It made no sense to me. 

What did make sense was Celtics fans hating our team. They've been rivals of the Lakers for 57 years. The teams/fan bases hate each other. But while the Celtics get hate from one direction, the Lakers get hate from all directions. 

Take this thread, for example. It was started by @Gile Pile. He's a Raptors fan from Canada who does basically nothing on this forum but post negative comments trashing the Lakers. It's why he started this thread. The Raptors and Lakers have no history together, no rivalry. But he hates the L.A. Lakers for some unfathomable reason. His team just won the NBA title and he's right back to s----talking the Lakers on this forum. Weird, right? Now multiply guys like him by millions and imagine them all talking s--- about your team, the Utah Jazz. Not once, but all day, every day.

So what some might perceive as arrogance or posturing by Laker fans really stems from a place of extreme annoyance from people hating something that you love, for no reason that can be identified. It's a defensive reaction to a lifetime of random acts of rudeness by people who happen to not be from where you're from. 

Just a different look to think about. 

Yes, I understand that.  You and brock are reasonable laker fans.  And you can’t help it.  You were born there.  I wouldn’t hold that against you.  Who else are you going to root for?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, RedRaider27 said:

Historically, the Lakers have had great front offices. Everyone makes it sound like all the Lakers do is sign top free agents but that is not true. They've signed Shaq and Bron. That's it. Out of all the big stars they've had, only two have come via free agency. There's clearly more to the story than just being in a big city with brand potential. The front office has historically been great at drafting and trading for players. Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, Magic Johnson, James Worthy, Kobe Bryant (draft day trade), etc. were all Laker draft picks. Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Pau Gasol, Dwight Howard, and now Anthony Davis were trades made by the Lakers. They've always either found their own talent, like the small market teams are forced to do, or made power moves in trades. That's what the Lakers do. Two big name free agent signings 20 years apart from each other is the outlier. The Lakers don't usually sign big names, they draft or trade for them. 

Also, since the modern NBA began in 1980, the Lakers are clearly the NBA's most successful team. We've won 9 championships in the modern era, not too shabby. The poster above stated that you can't count the Lakers championships prior to 1980 but yet made no mention of the Celtics, who by the way, won 13 of their 17 titles prior to 1980. Interesting to leave that out. The Lakers are the NBA's biggest, most successful team and that's all there is to it. People hate them because they want to be like them. Anyone can do it, as I pointed out above. You just gotta have a great scouting department and make big moves in trades. The Lakers have done both their whole history. Again, just two big name FA signings 20 years apart. 

This post emodies everything I hate about Laker fans.  lmao

edit: after reading the legendary Kaboom's post above I would like to restate:

This post embodies everything I hate about some obnoxious Laker fans.

signed, bitter Kings fan

Edited by jay14bay
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

Yes, I understand that.  You and brock are reasonable laker fans.  And you can’t help it.  You were born there.  I wouldn’t hold that against you.  Who else are you going to root for?

Hey @Kaboom, what are your thoughts on someone calling me a lakers fan ?

• Haha 1