Gile Pile

LA Lakers 2019-2020 Season Thread

It's all about this upcoming season...Lakers are doing whatever it takes to buy a championship right now..once Bron decides to retire, it'll be interesting what lakers decide to do then...let's just enjoy this FA period. I think today's move made things very interesting...i don't think kemba and jimmy are locked to the Celtics and Rockets anymore with this new development...I think the lakers hold the first domino...unless kd signs with the Nets...then all bets are off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

After this season AD will sign a 4+ year max. Worrying about something 5 or more years away right now seems beyond silly. 

It's funny but the Pelicans thought the same thing.  And he forced his way out.  The contractual situation didn't matter.  If LeBron retires and things go south I'd be concerned about AD.

Anyway, I agree wholeheartedly with what you wrote earlier.  If there are 30 NBA teams then your chances of winning a title in any given year (all other things being equal) are just 1/30.  If you can win a title now, or put yourself into a reasonable position for contention, you should do it even if it screw your team over for ten years after that.  You're the first person I heard write that and I agree.  

So my advice would be to focus on the present.  I said the Lakers would be contenders in the present and near future.  Unfortunately, for some people that's not enough.  Unless you say the Lakers are the favorites for the next decade, then you're a "hater".  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@StifleTower2there is reason to believe that Brow will stay, obviously. He waived his trade kicker. He made a sacrifice to improve the team. As you said, nothing is guaranteed, but that's certainly a positive sign for the Lakers.

I also think you're just talking to the wrong Laker fans. You can be forgiven; 99% of the fanbase are complete morons. I, for one, don't at all think the Lakers will be the title favorite, unless they get Kawhi, which even now they probably won't. They'll probably be in the hunt for the title, but Pelinka needs to show some semblance of competence this offseason in filling out this roster. He has no track record to make you believe he will, nor any other reason to believe he will. There are countless possibilities for what the roster will look like at the start of the season.

Edited by miasma16
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Thank you.

There are two options: A and B (opposite of A).  If someone says they're certain of A and I say you're probably right but I'm not certain for the reasons x,y,z...That does NOT mean I believe B.  It simply means I'm not certain of A.

Edited by StifleTower2

KD or Kyrie are good examples why AD resigning with Lakers is not 100%  sure. Things do change very quickly

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

KD or Kyrie are good examples why AD resigning with Lakers is not 100%  sure. Things do change very quickly

Correct.  Or imagine this scenario.  AD does resign, as expected.  LeBron and AD have *some* success, say they win one title, and get bounced from the WCF another time.  Now this would be enough for most fans but anything less than unabashed title wins is considered failure by many Lakers fans.  LeBron retires.  AD is left alone.  He gets blamed for their lack of titles (most people will never blame LeBron) and the fans turn on him.  Basically his Pels experience except worse.  Is he going to stay then or is he going to force his way out again?  To an extent focusing this far into the future isn't wise.  Let's just say I'm not 100% convinced AD is in LA 5 years from now.  

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Correct.  Or imagine this scenario.  AD does resign, as expected.  LeBron and AD have *some* success, say they win one title, and get bounced from the WCF another time.  Now this would be enough for most fans but anything less than unabashed title wins is considered failure by many Lakers fans. 

Not sure why keep you strawmanning irrational lakers fans who aren't in this thread currently. Yes I agree. Even a 3-peat might would not be enough for some fan who wants them to win 10 in a row. Anyone who thinks bringing a team together and "only winning one championship" is a failure is objectively wrong. 

If the Lakers win a championship this year and Lebron and Anthony Davis both retire and decide to play doubles tennis, everything was worth it. Easily.  Literally some teams have not had a legitimate chance to win a championship in 30 + years, let alone actually win it.

If you could guarantee a championship and forfeit all your draftpicks for a decade, you do it.  

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Lakers hate on this forum is sad at best. @Gile Pile your resentment towards the Lakers is kind of weird. I am from Toronto, love the Raptors and celebrated their championship but I am also a Lakers fan.

In terms of AD being in LA 5 years from now... I agree it's not set in stone, but I don't foresee a situation where AD doesn't resign next summer. Lakers philosophy is based on star power and they're obviously willing to Mortgage future assets. TBH I don't think Lakers FO even cares about 5 years from now, they probably expect to sign another top FA to replace Bron when the time comes. I'm not saying it's the optimal strategy but it has worked, and most fans are willing to trade a legit shot at a championship for the possibility of being a bottom feeder for half a decade.

Raptors essentially put them selves in the same position. Masai went all in trading for Kawhi, and as Raptor fans we could be headed to a multi year rebuild if Kawhi decides to walk. When the trade was originally made, I was amped about the possibility of having a real superstar and competing for a championship, I didn't care, and still don't care if Kawhi leaves and we're garbage for 5+ years.

25 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Now this would be enough for most fans but anything less than unabashed title wins is considered failure by many Lakers fans. 

False

Edited by FantasyBallFan

14 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Lebron and Anthony Davis both retire and decide to play doubles tennis

I would pay to watch this 😂

Yes, who knows what the Lakers will be in 5 years.  I think you can say that about literally any team. Feels quite irrelevant with the Lakers now walking into the 19/20 season with AD/Lebron and cap space to sign a max player or fill it out with a few decent ones.  Seems like a very good position to be in this year. That's kinda all that matters.  Not sure how many teams will have a better shot to win than that. Seems like that numbers should be no higher than 4, and perhaps less. Is anyone confident without a shadow of a doubt that the Pelicans will be a top 4 contending team soon? If so what year and guarantee it?

There once was a team that drafted Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, and James harden all in a close proximity.  No team has ever had that draft success.  That's not just 3 hall of famers to one team in 3 consecutive years, that's three MVP/Hall of Famers drafted to one team in 3 consecutive years (and a 3 time all nba defensive 1st team player with them) This will likely never happen again in our lifetime. That team got to just 1 finals and lost it in 5 games.  There are no guarantees.  

So yeah, the Lakers gave up a ton of their future to compete now, but I have a hard time believing the Pelicans are close to guaranteed anything.  Ball/Ingram might never be all-star level players and it could/might look stupid in even 2 years that this trade was considered a steal by some. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FantasyBallFan said:

The Lakers hate on this forum is sad at best. @Gile Pile your resentment towards the Lakers is kind of weird. I am from Toronto, love the Raptors and celebrated their championship but I am also a Lakers fan.

In terms of AD being in LA 5 years from now... I agree it's not set in stone, but I don't foresee a situation where AD doesn't resign next summer. Lakers philosophy is based on star power and they're obviously willing to Mortgage future assets. TBH I don't think Lakers FO even cares about 5 years from now, they probably expect to sign another top FA to replace Bron when the time comes. I'm not saying it's the optimal strategy but it has worked, and most fans are willing to trade a legit shot at a championship for the possibility of being a bottom feeder for half a decade.

Raptors essentially put them selves in the same position. Masai went all in trading for Kawhi, and as Raptor fans we could be headed to a multi year rebuild if Kawhi decides to walk. When the trade was originally made, I was amped about the possibility of having a real superstar and competing for a championship, I didn't care, and still don't care if Kawhi leaves and we're garbage for 5+ years.

I actually like Lakers, that is why I keep commenting. I just don't like decisions they have made since 2013.

They let Randle walk. Give Mozgov a huge contract.  Draft and trade Russell. Sign Deng in July 2016 to waive him in  September 2018 . 

Let Brook walk. Sign Rondo and Lance when everyone knew you need shooters around LBJ?

Trade Zubac for what?  To get Chandler playing time? Or maybe it was Michael Beasley? Magic resigning and blaming Pelinka for backstabbing?

List goes on, they are all  head scratching.

If history teaches  us anything at all,  it will be  very interesting to see how Lakers roster looks next season.  It is still same people in charge as last season.

If they can get Kawhi (at least he has agreed to meet with Lakers)   it will be worth it. I can be starter on that team and Lakers would still be  legit contenders.

Anyone else (Butler, Irving, Tobias,...) will cause issues on either end  of the court.

At least NBA summer is interesting now

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

I actually like Lakers, that is why I keep commenting. I just don't like decisions they have made since 2013.

They let Randle walk. Give Mozgov a huge contract.  Draft and trade Russell. Sign Deng in July 2016 to waive him in  September 2018

Let Brook walk. Sign Rondo and Lance when everyone knew you need shooters around LBJ?

Trade Zubac for what?  To get Chandler playing time? Or maybe it was Michael Beasley? Magic resigning and blaming Pelinka for backstabbing?

List goes on, they are all  head scratching.

If history teaches  us anything at all,  it will be  very interesting to see how Lakers roster looks next season.  It is still same people in charge as last season.

If they can get Kawhi (at least he has agreed to meet with Lakers)   it will be worth it. I can be starter on that team and Lakers would still be  legit contenders.

Anyone else (Butler, Irving, Tobias,...) will cause issues on either end  of the court.

At least NBA summer is interesting now

These moves were so bad...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Not sure why keep you strawmanning irrational lakers fans who aren't in this thread currently. Yes I agree. Even a 3-peat might would not be enough for some fan who wants them to win 10 in a row. Anyone who thinks bringing a team together and "only winning one championship" is a failure is objectively wrong. 

If the Lakers win a championship this year and Lebron and Anthony Davis both retire and decide to play doubles tennis, everything was worth it. Easily.  Literally some teams have not had a legitimate chance to win a championship in 30 + years, let alone actually win it.

If you could guarantee a championship and forfeit all your draftpicks for a decade, you do it.  

It's not a strawman.  I said the Lakers would be contenders for 1-2 years and someone on this forum got upset about that, implying that they would be contenders for at least five years.

Also, the reason why I'm commenting isn't because I'm a Lakers hater, nor a Lakers fan.  This thread is getting the most traction because the Lakers have made the biggest splash the last two seasons.  The entire point of the rotoworld forum is to discuss the NBA from what is supposed to be an analytical perspective.  I'm going to say things both positive and negative if that's what I think about the situation. 

As I said before, I'm not critical of their moves.  I agree that if you have a legitimate chance at contention then you should pull the trigger, even if it harms your future.  I also think it's rational to discuss the downsides of such an approach.  If we didn't discuss both the positive and negative about current NBA events there would be no point to the forum.

Edited by StifleTower2

11 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

It's not a strawman.  I said the Lakers would be contenders for 1-2 years and someone on this forum got upset about that, implying that they would be contenders for at least five years.

Also, the reason why I'm commenting isn't because I'm a Lakers hater, nor a Lakers fan.  This thread is getting the most traction because the Lakers have made the biggest splash the last two seasons.  The entire point of the rotoworld forum is to discuss the NBA from what is supposed to be an analytical perspective.  I'm going to say things both positive and negative if that's what I think about the situation. 

As I said before, I'm not critical of their moves.  I agree that if you have a legitimate chance at contention then you should pull the trigger, even if it harms your future.  I also think it's rational to discuss the downsides of such an approach.  If we didn't discuss both the positive and negative about current NBA events there would be no point to the forum.

Again, you are right the Lakers might not be contenders in 5 years. Fully agree. My point is literally every team in the league might not be contenders in 5 years. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Again, you are right the Lakers might not be contenders in 5 years. Fully agree. My point is literally every team in the league might not be contenders in 5 years. 

Let's just agree to agree.  

• Like 1

Collison retiring?  Wtf?  He’s 31.  I only bring it up here bc we were just talking about him.  I actually liked his game.

Posted (edited)

Quiet all of a sudden in here. 

"Lakers will only have 23 mil in cap space"

"Lakers won't have cap space to sign a 3rd star"

"AD won't waive his trade kicker"

"AD could walk after one season...re-signing is far from a sure thing"

"Lakers only have a 1-2 year window"

"They have ZERO chance of signing Kawhi"

I have to remind myself that I come to this forum for fantasy info, not for joe-schmoe laker hater's NBA knowledge.

Edited by GriffeySwag

Posted (edited)
On 6/28/2019 at 10:33 PM, GriffeySwag said:

Quiet all of a sudden in here. 

"Lakers will only have 23 mil in cap space"

"Lakers won't have cap space to sign a 3rd star"

"AD won't waive his trade kicker"

"AD could walk after one season...re-signing is far from a sure thing"

"Lakers only have a 1-2 year window"

"They have ZERO chance of signing Kawhi"

I have to remind myself that I come to this forum for fantasy info, not for joe-schmoe laker hater's NBA knowledge.

Agreed, especially with regard to the last one. It should read “less than zero”. In any case it’s pretty meaningless to win a chip by signing 3 top of the 10 or arguable top the 5 players in the league within 2yrs. 

Edited by Pirate
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Agreed, especially with regard to the last one. It should read “less than zero”. In any case it’s pretty meaningless to win a chip by signing 3 top of the 10 or arguable top the 5 players in the league within 2yrs. 

It remains to be seen what Kawhi will do.  But we do know for certain that most of the good FA are off the block.  I thought getting a couple role players such as Collison and Redick would be good but Collison retired and Redick signed elsewhere.

Posted (edited)

All these signings and not a single one by the Lakers yet lol. They've gotta be pushing hard af for Kawhi. They're gonna be lacking quality depth at this point now anyway. 

Edited by young_styler
  • Like 1

He was limping after carrying the raps, Lakeshow healthier body because not being the guy doesn't bother him, healthier mind (hometown), lock him in it's inevitable. 

Kawhi or bust at this point. Pretty much everyone else is gone. Still a couple quality pieces but FA is already pretty much over lol. Gotta think Kawhi is leaning LA however. Toronto still in play. Going to the Clippers makes no sense at this point. 

• Like 2

My theory of the current Lakers situation

Lakers working around the tampering rules. The Rob and Magic fall out was a hoax. Magic stepped down out of nowhere blatantly ripping Rob apart after a great meeting with the Lakers FO. Even with Magic’s accusations of Rob, Lakers give Rob Magic’s position. They still get rid of Walton. Magic taking calls and meetings with Kawhi while openly saying he’s available to help the Lakers if they want to...the NBA tampering rules have been Belichecked by Magic and the Lakers. 

31 minutes ago, larfboy said:

My theory of the current Lakers situation

Lakers working around the tampering rules. The Rob and Magic fall out was a hoax. Magic stepped down out of nowhere blatantly ripping Rob apart after a great meeting with the Lakers FO. Even with Magic’s accusations of Rob, Lakers give Rob Magic’s position. They still get rid of Walton. Magic taking calls and meetings with Kawhi while openly saying he’s available to help the Lakers if they want to...the NBA tampering rules have been Belichecked by Magic and the Lakers. 

Have you read Magic's tweets? He's not capable of machiavellian genius chess moves like you're proposing. The GOAT maybe orchestrated it, maybe. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Auction>Snake said:

Have you read Magic's tweets? He's not capable of machiavellian genius chess moves like you're proposing. The GOAT maybe orchestrated it, maybe. 

Plot twist:

Phil Jackson is the orchestrator.