Gile Pile

LA Lakers 2019-2020 Season Thread

1 hour ago, Auction>Snake said:

I can't wait for the salty tears.

The Warriors cried in the parking lot on the phone to KD because they absolutely knew they couldn't beat the GOAT. 2015 championship was a total sham, a complete fluke without Kyrie & Love it was a gift from above. Met in secret in the hamptons, the hampton 5 meeting was a pathetic scenario by 5 gutless individuals who knew they couldn't beat LeBron. You reap what you sow. Paper champions.

Did you just pick a random thread to post this in or is there some kind of relevance to Lakers 2019-20 season I am missing here?

Kendrick Perkins: Just heard that Kawhi is meeting with the Clippers tonight but the Lakers hold the upper hand, unless Doc work his Magic tonight it’s looking very strong that Kawhi will be in Purple and Gold!!!

6 pages for the Lakers. Where is the Brooklyn Nets thread. KD, Kyrie and Deandre Jordan. That’s the new hotness! Nobody asking who is left to sign with the Nets. 

4 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

6 pages for the Lakers. Where is the Brooklyn Nets thread. KD, Kyrie and Deandre Jordan. That’s the new hotness! Nobody asking who is left to sign with the Nets. 

Because Nets have a team. At this moment Lakers don't.  Correct me if  I am wrong, but only 4 players under contract (LBJ, AD, Kuzma and Troy Daniels)

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Achilles. See you in 2022.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Auction>Snake said:

Achilles. See you in 2022.

And won't be seeing the Clippers til long after that

• Like 1

Pretty good vet min deal I think, though Lakers really need to stop signing forwards.

• Like 1

Just now, miasma16 said:
Pretty good vet min deal I think, though Lakers really need to stop signing forwards.

is it this year theme for new additions?  Last year it was "ball handlers and creators"

1 minute ago, Gile Pile said:

is it this year theme for new additions?  Last year it was "ball handlers and creators"

It very well could be. If we're to assume they're getting Kawhi, the team will look like

LeBron, Brow, Kawhi, Kuzma, Dudley, Daniels.

Daniels is a shooting guard, the best are forwards. I suppose LeBron might want to play a Simmons-style point forward role. Davis will probably play center in the playoffs; doubt he wants to in the regular season. Sounds like Danny Green is going wherever Kawhi is going, and he honestly /does/ play shooting guard primarily. And the two guys that seem most closely linked to the Lakers otherwise are Korver and Iguodala.

Out of all 9 of those guys, the only one you'd expect to be defending guards OR centers at a high level next season would be Danny Green. That would be a massive problem if you ask me, and it's something to monitor.

To recap, here's where I think we stand as of tonight, Tuesday night. Let me know if you agree with this assessment:

Odds of Lakers getting Kawhi: 25% or more. No one knows, but this is no longer idle speculation. It could happen.

Iggy gets buyout and signs: 75% (Decent aging vet addition, with a bit left in the tank. Can offer some much-needed perimeter D. But not a shooter.)

Odds of Lakers getting Cousins: 50% (And I would like this.)

Dudley: Done, and a nice add for corner 3pm.

Troy Daniels: Done, and a very decent 3pm guy.

Danny Green: 40%, and possibly tied to Kawhi. Would be a nice add but a bit overrated.

LeBron plays PG a la Simmons. Role players shooting 3pm at the 2/3 spots. Don't forget Kuz draining 3pm also.

Finally, they may have surrounded LeBron with the right cast. If Lance Stephenson can depart, it could be perfect.

17 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Who defends PG and SG?

You make a great point.

David Nwaba is still available!

Patrick Beverley could have been that guy, but he just got paid. $40mm for 3 years. Wow.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

To recap, here's where I think we stand as of tonight, Tuesday night. Let me know if you agree with this assessment:

Odds of Lakers getting Kawhi: 25% or more. No one knows, but this is no longer idle speculation. It could happen.

Iggy gets buyout and signs: 75% (Decent aging vet addition, with a bit left in the tank. Can offer some much-needed perimeter D. But not a shooter.)

Odds of Lakers getting Cousins: 50% (And I would like this.)

Dudley: Done, and a nice add for corner 3pm.

Troy Daniels: Done, and a very decent 3pm guy.

Danny Green: 40%, and possibly tied to Kawhi. Would be a nice add but a bit overrated.

LeBron plays PG a la Simmons. Role players shooting 3pm at the 2/3 spots. Don't forget Kuz draining 3pm also.

Finally, they may have surrounded LeBron with the right cast. If Lance Stephenson can depart, it could be perfect.

Would have to say the Lakers have better odds than that. From the speculation I've heard, Clippers may as well be out of the hunt. I think the Raptors have a better shot than the Lakers though.

Not sure why you think the Lakers are that likely to get Cousins either. Think he's a great risk-reward signing though.

Green is almost assuredly playing wherever Kawhi is playing, from what he's said this offseason.

We'll see what happens with all of this. I have no problems with LeBron manning the point, especially since he won't play defense all season, and that's the easiest position to cover for defensively. Agree with a lot of this, and also mentioned Nwaba as a potential min guy a week ago. Think he'd be a great addition.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Who defends PG and SG?

So now I'm going to sound like one of those guys who make things up, but I hear Kris Dunn is on the market. 

https://dawindycity.com/2019/07/02/chicago-bulls-kris-dunn-trade-proposals/

Now that's two decent defenders that exist who can play but not shoot. 

Also, this rook Talen Horton-Tucker kinda fits the bill. Long arms, can steal and play D. That's a long shot, but with no depth he may have to play.

2 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Not sure why you think the Lakers are that likely to get Cousins either. Think he's a great risk-reward signing though.

No one else seems to want him. I'm a sucker for the bargain bin. I do think the Lakers are operating on a C by platoon approach. The Lakers are also one of the few teams who won't let Cousins be a distraction. GSW was that, and aside from the Lakers, there are few other teams who can handle Cousins from a psychological standpoint.

1 minute ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

No one else seems to want him. I'm a sucker for the bargain bin. I do think the Lakers are operating on a C by platoon approach. The Lakers are also one of the few teams who won't let Cousins be a distraction. GSW was that, and aside from the Lakers, there are few other teams who can handle Cousins from a psychological standpoint.

We'll see. I think he made perfect sense last year too, and he didn't end up in purple and gold.

4 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Would have to say the Lakers have better odds than that. From the speculation I've heard, Clippers may as well be out of the hunt. I think the Raptors have a better shot than the Lakers though.

Green is almost assuredly playing wherever Kawhi is playing, from what he's said this offseason.

We'll see what happens with all of this. I have no problems with LeBron manning the point, especially since he won't play defense all season, and that's the easiest position to cover for defensively. Agree with a lot of this, and also mentioned Nwaba as a potential min guy a week ago. Think he'd be a great addition.

If I had to guess, I would bet Kawhi stays in Toronto. I mean, he is the King in the North. If he wants no drama, he has the dream. But we all guessing. 

Guards available as of today:

Dragic in trade (poor perimeter defender, can shoot)

Dunn in trade (great perimeter defender, mixed shooting)

Lin RFA (ok defender, good shooter, good penetrator)

Green signs (with Kawhi) (good shooter)

Other guys who can come via trade or min contracts? One challenge is that old vets in a min contract are typically not the guys who can defend opposing PGs.

37 minutes ago, hornrimmed_rambis said:

Guards available as of today:

Dragic in trade (poor perimeter defender, can shoot)

Dunn in trade (great perimeter defender, mixed shooting)

Lin RFA (ok defender, good shooter, good penetrator)

Green signs (with Kawhi) (good shooter)

Other guys who can come via trade or min contracts? One challenge is that old vets in a min contract are typically not the guys who can defend opposing PGs.

Lin and Danny Green 👌

Quinn Cook is so good, but hands off. We're interested. 

1 minute ago, Trench Mob said:

Quinn Cook is so good, but hands off. We're interested. 

Cook and probably Trey Burke are these guys who are available shooters, but suspect defenders.

Frank Ntilikina is also likely very available in a trade, since the Knicks have DSJ and also signed Elfrid Payton. Frankie can defend, but not shoot. 

You really can see how waiting for Kawhi while other top guards went off the board could have royally screwed the Lakers. The dropoff is steep.

• Like 1

Lakers have LBJ, AD and Kuzma.  They should be fine with castoffs from other teams.

Wright could be a good fit. Melton was also a potential guy, now he is gone. https://sports.yahoo.com/report-grizzlies-send-kyle-korver-jevon-carter-to-suns-for-josh-jackson-de-anthony-melton-202933809.html

Kyle Korver would be a perfect fit off the bench for shooting, with all the resume checkboxes. If he is bought out, I can see him as a Laker super fast.

Thank goodness Markieff Morris is off the market. Another unreliable Forward who shoots? No thanks.