Gile Pile

LA Lakers 2019-2020 Season Thread

What if Anthony Davis decides he doesn't want to sign with the Lakers after the 2019-2020 season.

That would be great.

58 minutes ago, dino10k said:

What if Anthony Davis decides he doesn't want to sign with the Lakers after the 2019-2020 season.

That would be great.

What if, a magnitude 8.5 earthquake hits California and separates it from the rest of the U.S.? 

That would be insane.

19 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Since Jerry West left the Lakers, all he’s done is build the Golden State Warriors and now the Clippers.
The Buss family must be apoplectic.

I believe that he wanted to come back to Lakers  and was turned down...

And made one expansion team as Grizzlies in perennial playoff team.

He wanted to come back! He even admitted that publicly, but his relationship with Jeannie and Phil's puppets "The Rambis" is cold as the north pole summer. His relationship with Magic is not so great, too. So for the GOAT of the executives this is the last chance to prove to Lakers management, fans and media guys, that his role in building 2 Lakers dynasties is much bigger than for what he gets credit. Everybody talks about Dr. Jerry, Pat or Phil and even Linda Rambis gets credit (?!) and the younger Laker/LBJ fans call him traitor for doing his job with Clippers. The fault for the last is on Lakers, not on West. Even Pat Riley said that he will not come back, but the guy for the job is out there and is waiting. I think the waiting is officialy over. I was sure in the moment he signed with LAC that he will bring new era for them. And maybe if they win a chip, that will awake Jeannie and all the fans that the team needs wind of change. In the meantime KCP will be billionaire from his Lakers contracts.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

What if, a magnitude 8.5 earthquake hits California and separates it from the rest of the U.S.? 

That would be insane.

That would be awesome! My house in the Inland Empire would sky rocket. I would have a beach front property as prime real estate ^^

But real talk he "asked" to come to the Lakers, otherwise Pels traded him to Boston or something. 

2 minutes ago, thrilla1nManila said:

That would be awesome! My house in the Inland Empire would sky rocket. I would have a beach front property as prime real estate ^^

But real talk he "asked" to come to the Lakers, otherwise Pels traded him to Boston or something. 

And yet after what happened with the likes of PG13 and, also for example, Durant, seems like anything is possible with these mercurial superstars...

17 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

And yet after what happened with the likes of PG13 and, also for example, Durant, seems like anything is possible with these mercurial superstars...

It's not "anything" . Players want two things 1.) money 2.) improve their legacy. So long as you give em that you're good. Its why certain franchises keep winning championships. 

3 minutes ago, thrilla1nManila said:

It's not "anything" . Players want two things 1.) money 2.) improve their legacy. So long as you give em that you're good. Its why certain franchises keep winning championships. 

With some players replace "improve their legacy" with chase pussy and party, which is one of the biggest advantages to LA or Miami imo.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thrilla1nManila said:

It means it's the only championship you'll see in your life time. Which becomes truer considering the avg human life span. 

Quite possible.  If I have to wait another 20+ years for next one, I will be in my 70s.

Can I ask you a question:    When will the Lakers win it all again?

I don't think Lakers will  make it to the Finals this year with their current roster.

Other than AD, LBJ, Kuzma and Green, how many other players were full time starters last season? 

They way I see it, in order to win the West I would put  Clippers and Utah in1st tier, Houston and Denver in2nd followed by GSW, Lakers, Portland in 3rd tier

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Quite possible.  If I have to wait another 20+ years for next one, I will be in my 70s.

I don't think Lakers will  make it to the Finals this year with their current roster.

Other than AD, LBJ, Kuzma and Green, how many other players were full time starters last season? 

They way I see it, in order to win the West I would put  Clippers and Utah in1st tier, Houston and Denver in2nd followed by GSW, Lakers, Portland in 3rd tier

So your West standings look like:

Clippers

Utah

Denver

Houston

Warriors

Lakers

Portland

???? (Spurs? Dallas?)

6 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Mathematically speaking, assuming we're all middle-aged (and not bandwagon fans), then many of us will NEVER see our team win the title.  So I would take it with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

Nobody can answer that. 2 days ago, Kawhi to the Clippers looked dead in the water. A franchise like...that...is the title favorite now.

Lakers have constructed their roster about as well as they can, given they missed out on Kawhi. All indications are on Davis re-upping to a long-term deal. Most of the other guys the Lakers have are off the books in a couple years. They'll probably be able to play with a ton of money in 2021 (another big year for free agents), ideally get 2 all-star caliber players to pair with Davis, and to resign Kuzma without cap implications, who I think most people are expecting will be a quality starting player at that point. Maybe Lebron can get his kid to the Lakers, and they can get pops back on a sweetheart deal to make a run at a title, too. They'll probably be in good shape for a while, it just depends on what their competition is. If things don't go well for some reason or another though, they're going to have to rebuild without a whole lot of assets needed to rebuild. But there's no real point in prognosticating, those things are a long way off. And the Lakers are absolutely contenders this season, favored to or not.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, miasma16 said:

Nobody can answer that. 2 days ago, Kawhi to the Clippers looked dead in the water. A franchise like...that...is the title favorite now.

Lakers have constructed their roster about as well as they can, given they missed out on Kawhi. All indications are on Davis re-upping to a long-term deal. Most of the other guys the Lakers have are off the books in a couple years. They'll probably be able to play with a ton of money in 2021 (another big year for free agents), ideally get 2 all-star caliber players to pair with Davis, and to resign Kuzma without cap implications, who I think most people are expecting will be a quality starting player at that point. Maybe Lebron can get his kid to the Lakers, and they can get pops back on a sweetheart deal to make a run at a title, too. They'll probably be in good shape for a while, it just depends on what their competition is. If things don't go well for some reason or another though, they're going to have to rebuild without a whole lot of assets needed to rebuild. But there's no real point in prognosticating, those things are a long way off. And the Lakers are absolutely contenders this season, favored to or not.

I hope you are joking. The kid is in highschool, give him time. If he is the hope for title, i think that`s a big problem. It`s not even serious to think about that now.

Pelinka did a great job to fill the roster, i agree with you. But overall i am not as much optimistic as you. The team is married to Klutch for better or worse and the reality is that in 2 years the situation will be the same in FAgency, if not uglier (depends on LBJ`s and AD`s health). The superstars, who are not LBJ`s clients will avoid the team (DMC is not in that category anymore). The owner, Rambis, Pelinka, all of that circus, is big part of the reason, too. Every Lakers dynasty is made with patience. Every. In every championship one of the two best players of the team played his whole career in LAL. In every. That`s the path for me, but i am in the minority with that opinion.

And Kawhi to the Clippers looked dead in the water only for all the so called journalists, who are on paycheck from LBJ or Lakers. Even LBJ`s pig Windhorst said that he will be Clipper, so i think LBJ knew all the time, that Kawhi doesn`t want to play with him. But to protect LBJ`s image, the narrative was "Kawhi is Lakers bound". The guy changed the location for the meeting with Jeannie, because he wanted to talk PG shortly after that. The reality is that Kawhi and PG wanted to play for Lakers until LBJ arrived. That is clearer than ever now. The team (Magic Johnson) made the choice and all of us will live with that. If we win - cool, if we don`t - new rebuild for 6-8 years without picks. My feeling is that Lakers will not win another title until the team has new owner.

Edited by montanski
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, montanski said:

I hope you are joking.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2780682-lebron-james-says-playing-with-son-in-the-nba-would-be-his-greatest-achievement

Keep up with the news before making any more flippant posts. Part of his pitch to Kawhi was that he wants to eventually play with his son. Lot easier for him to go to his son's team than it is to force his kid to the Lakers out of the draft.

And lol @ Pelinka being some sort of circus clown. This weekend proved to all the doubters, including myself, that that isn't remotely true.

9 minutes ago, montanski said:

And Kawhi to the Clippers looked dead in the water only for all the so called journalists, who are on paycheck from LBJ or Lakers. 

Jeez, surely you can't be serious. Lmao.

1 minute ago, miasma16 said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2780682-lebron-james-says-playing-with-son-in-the-nba-would-be-his-greatest-achievement

Keep up with the news before making any more flippant posts. Part of his pitch to Kawhi was that he wants to eventually play with his son. Lot easier for him to go to his son's team than it is to force his kid to the Lakers out of the draft.

And lol @ Pelinka being some sort of circus clown. This weekend proved to all the doubters, including myself, that that isn't remotely true.

Jeez, surely you can't be serious. Lmao.

15 minutes ago, montanski said:

Maybe Lebron can get his kid to the Lakers, and they can get pops back on a sweetheart deal to make a run at a title, too.

Lakers or LBJ fan? I am with the impression that you hope LBJ and his kid play for Lakers and both make a run for the title. It`s not serious to hope that 37-38 years old LBJ and his rookie from high school 18 years old son will be enough in NBA unless they play with other 5 all stars. I know the reports that he want to play with his son, but i hope that will be on another team, not Lakers.

Yeah, i am serious that the idea "Kawhi to Clippers is dead" was stupid narrative. Here is the quote from Windhorst, LBJ`s personal PR: "We don't know where Kawhi is going," said Brian Windhorst. "I am feeling more like the Lakers are a chance. I wouldn't have thought that was a chance. I thought it was Clippers for a long time and then I thought maybe he'll stay in Toronto. I do believe there is some real traction towards the Lakers. I still think the Clippers are the pick, but I admit I don't know at this point."JUL 1, 2019 6:39 PM

Don`t tell me that you have trust in Brousard. And what about Woj, who all of the millenials in twitter said 1 000 000 times that reports that Clippers are favorites, because hate the Lakers.

20 minutes ago, montanski said:

The owner, Rambis, Pelinka, all of that circus

I didn`t say that Pelinka is clown. I said that all of the most important team executives made from respectable team a circus. Reports are out there.

Can someone start the Pelicans thread? Why we still talking about 34/35 year old Lebron. Zion is the future. Can we start criticizing him for 15 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, montanski said:

I am with the impression that you hope LBJ and his kid play for Lakers and both make a run for the title. It`s not serious to hope that 37-38 years old LBJ and his rookie from high school 18 years old son will be enough in NBA unless they play with other 5 all stars.

What are you talking about? If LeBron were to come back for a vet min when he's on his last legs, he'd be a valuable player. Nobody said anything about "enough". I already posted this. You don't need an impression, you need to read.

Yeah, i am serious that the idea "Kawhi to Clippers is dead" was stupid narrative.

Don't try to change the subject, lol. You posited a ridiculous conspiracy theory that LeBron and the Lakers are paying off the media to tell people that they're going to get players they aren't going to get. But, sure, I'll play. If you were so certain that Pulitzer-prize winning journalist Brian Windhorst was right about the Clippers being Kawhi's preferred destination, where are all your posts about it? You didn't say anything until today, because you didn't know anything about what the Clippers were cooking up. Nobody did, except for a handful of people getting paid by the NBA.

I didn`t say that Pelinka is clown. I said that all of the most important team executives made from respectable team a circus. Reports are out there.

Really going to try to play the semantics game, eh? You did. Those reports were unfounded. People were so desperate to believe the Lakers made a mistake. They didn't. Pelinka's major strength before he was hired was identified as his knowledge of the cap. He cleared out the space for another max. The "reports" run counter to the facts.

And yet that max space was used to sign  the likes of McGee, Caruso, Rondo and Cousins?  I can only justify Cousins as low risk hig reward deal. Others remind me of last year free agent signings

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

What are you talking about? If LeBron were to come back for a vet min when he's on his last legs, he'd be a valuable player. Nobody said anything about "enough". I already posted this. You don't need an impression, you need to read.

Don't try to change the subject, lol. You posited a ridiculous conspiracy theory that LeBron and the Lakers are paying off the media to tell people that they're going to get players they aren't going to get. But, sure, I'll play. If you were so certain that Pulitzer-prize winning journalist Brian Windhorst was right about the Clippers being Kawhi's preferred destination, where are all your posts about it? You didn't say anything until today, because you didn't know anything about what the Clippers were cooking up. Nobody did, except for a handful of people getting paid by the NBA.

Really going to try to play the semantics game, eh? You did. Those reports were unfounded. People were so desperate to believe the Lakers made a mistake. They didn't. Pelinka's major strength before he was hired was identified as his knowledge of the cap. He cleared out the space for another max. The "reports" run counter to the facts.

I was offline for at least a month. That`s the reason i didn`t post anything and the reason to post in this thread are some of the comments about the situation in the team. I have different opinion for that, but like i said i am in the minority. It`s fantasy basketball forum and the season is over, but i will be here in the end of the season to make some recap of Lakers 2019-2020 season, together, if you want.

It`s not some secret or conspiracy, that the media guys gets paycheck from players, teams, executives... I don`t live in USA and follow mostly the Lakers writers, so i can tell you for them (without a proof of course, but most of the Lakers fans can say if i am right) Ramona and Ganguli - Jeannie Buss, Plashke - Jimbo (i readed rumors somewhere that Ballmer pays him to write against Jeannie and today`s article is good sign for that https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-kawhi-leonard-lakers-clippers-front-office-20190706-story.html). Broderick Turner - Magic Johnson. LBJ`s are not secret for anybody. If you think that the media is not paid by players, teams and executives, we have just different opinions on that.

The reports for the circus in Lakers management were for the Magic`s quotes after his resignation, the whole situation around the question who`s in charge in LAL, if Pelinka is traitor for Magic and so on... https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26788978/the-lakers-public-drama-crisis-ownership and https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26821790/lakers-20-failed-reboot-nba-crown-jewel are just examples for what i am talking about. Not for the cap situation around AD`s trade - that`s another story.

And i will ask you again - Lakers fan or LBJ fan? If you are LBJ fan we can argue all day for the problems of the team and never will be on same page.

16 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

And yet that max space was used to sign  the likes of McGee, Caruso, Rondo and Cousins?  I can only justify Cousins as low risk hig reward deal. Others remind me of last year free agent signings

So who would you have signed with the remaining Free Agents and the remaining money? Ready.Set.Go.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

30M 2 years for Green, 16M for KCP (?!) 2 years with PO for the 2nd year, 6M 2 years for Cook.

The KCP signing was ................, but with the others they have no choice. They did pretty good with the situation, but they put themselves in that situation, which is the price to mesh with Kawhi :) If Iggy comes, the team will look better.

The Grizzlies and Mavs have reportedly agreed to a sign-and-trade deal that will send Delon Wright to Dallas on a three-year, $29 million contract in exchange for two future second-round picks.

This is kind of cheap. Is he a better choice to the Lakers?

• Like 1

If they swap cp3 and westbrook, what are the chances cp3 gets bought out and join LAL? Would love to see cp3 and rondo same team. Lol

56 minutes ago, thrilla1nManila said:

If they swap cp3 and westbrook, what are the chances cp3 gets bought out and join LAL? Would love to see cp3 and rondo same team. Lol

Less than 0% chance

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Can someone start the Pelicans thread? Why we still talking about 34/35 year old Lebron. Zion is the future. Can we start criticizing him for 15 years.

It's only July 7th and we're almost on page 10 of a thread about a team that didn't even make the playoffs last year. 

Poor Pelicans, they shall have their own thread. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

So who would you have signed with the remaining Free Agents and the remaining money? Ready.Set.Go.

any deal signed today would be better imo  (Tyus Jones, Marcus Morris, Hollis-Jefferson)