crotchcrickets

Zac Gallen 2019 Outlook

I would have to believe if Gallen pitches good tomorrow night he sticks around.  Somebody would have to go from the rotation, but I find it hard to believe that even the Marlins would be dumb enough to demote any of the three guys they've called up now.  Maybe Alcantara, who is basically the only other option (obviously Richards is sticking around)?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BMcP said:

Pretty sure Smith comes back this week

Caleb Smith got pushed back one more start in the minors.  Source:

Tue, Jun 18

Caleb Smith (hip) will make a rehab start before returning to the Marlins' rotation.

Advice: This bit of information refutes a previous report that suggested he could return this weekend in Philadelphia. Smith threw a successful bullpen session on Tuesday and is making steady progress in his recovery from left hip inflammation, but he'll pitch at either Double-A Jacksonville or Triple-A New Orleans before being activated. The rehab start should take place early next week.

So that would mean Smith wouldn't be ready to pitch again for Miami until the weekend after this one.

Maybe the Marlins are doing this not just to ease Smith back but to help give the extra time to see Gallen, Yamamota and the other guy I'm suddenly blanking on since I don't own him.  I mean at least one of them has to go down or be traded of someone else be traded to make room for Smith.  But this way gives Miami about a week and a half to decide.  And probably two starts for sure now for Gallen before a decision is made.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Caleb Smith got pushed back one more start in the minors.  Source:

So that would mean Smith wouldn't be ready to pitch again for Miami until the weekend after this one.

Maybe the Marlins are doing this not just to ease Smith back but to help give the extra time to see Gallen, Yamamota and the other guy I'm suddenly blanking on since I don't own him.  I mean at least one of them has to go down or be traded of someone else be traded to make room for Smith.  But this way gives Miami about a week and a half to decide.  And probably two starts for sure now for Gallen before a decision is made.

What scares me is how good Yamamoto and Hernandez have been since getting the call. Puts a lot of pressure on Gallen to be good if not great to stay up. 

12 hours ago, Redsfan34 said:

What scares me is how good Yamamoto and Hernandez have been since getting the call. Puts a lot of pressure on Gallen to be good if not great to stay up. 

I wouldn’t be too concerned with that. As far as I know he’s got better stuff and is their prized pitching prospect so I feel like they’re going to keep him up unless he implodes. He has nothing else to work on in the minors. With so many young kids being brought up in their rotation it could create some healthy competition between them which could be good for all of them. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I wouldn’t be too concerned with that. As far as I know he’s got better stuff and is their prized pitching prospect so I feel like they’re going to keep him up unless he implodes. He has nothing else to work on in the minors. With so many young kids being brought up in their rotation it could create some healthy competition between them which could be good for all of them. 

What do you think about a Dodgers type of thing where everyone goes on the 10 day DL every few weeks to limit innings?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cesare13 said:

What do you think about a Dodgers type of thing where everyone goes on the 10 day DL every few weeks to limit innings?

Yep.  But I wonder with such a young staff why they just don't go with a 6 man rotation the rest of the way with the most rested of the arms on any given day being available as the emergency fill-in if needed if the starter implodes super early.  Keeps them all on a regular schedule while limiting their innings and not jerking them around and sitting them for long stretches or wasting them in the minors.  Of course Miami would have to think outside the box to do this and baseball teams not managed by some pioneer like a Joe Madden rarely do that and Mattingly doesn't strike me as a creative thinker.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

I also thought a 6-man rotation made perfect sense.  But all manager/front office caveats need apply here

• Like 1

lots of conflicting reports.

low prospect with no rankings.

others say mechanics change and he will thrive.

Im going to take the plunge

8 minutes ago, octapuss said:

lots of conflicting reports.

low prospect with no rankings.

others say mechanics change and he will thrive.

Im going to take the plunge

No, not really.  He had very high rankings in mid-season lists.  The pre-season lists -- where he was ranked much lower -- are already woefully way out of date by the start of June when mid-season lists start to appear.  Players in the minors are like students learning in class basically.  As they learn and progress their ranking change accordingly and often times very quickly.

• Like 1

I have never seen this kid pitch, nor heard about him before this season, but I see his numbers in that Sega Genesis PCL where the avg ERA is 5.42 and I can't help but think he's going to be pretty good.  I hope so anyway.

Anyone else getting DeGrom vibes? Low ranked prospect with top notch command who gained velocity and suddenly burst onto the scene with a lot of helium. Not expecting ace levels numbers any time soon obviously, but 1st year DeGrom numbers? Why not. 

I’m glad you mentioned his mound presence - his composure for a debut was astounding.

• Like 2

He looked good.  Didn’t get some borderline calls but also had a few bombs that went foul.  He looked very smooth.

Those 6 strikeouts came against a team that makes a good amount of contact. The Zac Attack is in full swing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Anyone else getting DeGrom vibes? Low ranked prospect with top notch command who gained velocity and suddenly burst onto the scene with a lot of helium. Not expecting ace levels numbers any time soon obviously, but 1st year DeGrom numbers? Why not. 

That actually doesn't seem totally unreasonable.  I remember being able to pick up deGrom with ease.  Obviously times have changed and people are on top of the prospects more than ever, but still, Gallen could be another that turns out to be a difference maker that nobody would have really mentioned going into the season.

Another unfortunate thing that goes with the comparison is that the Marlins blew his win, which was obviously an issue for deGrom for years.

As for the start, I'm glad to see that it seemed to go pretty well, even if his WHIP wasn't great and he had to throw too many pitches.  I'm excited to see where things go from here, especially since I was able to acquire him for after his debut start.

52 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I watched a lot of it, some good deception with his stride/delivery, chart was pretty solid:

FB- averaged 93 MPH, touched 95, great vert action with it, threw 29--18 for strikes with 12 swings but no whiffs

SL- main secondary, sat 85 mph, minimal break actions on it but good spin, threw 38 and commanded it impeccably with 25 strikes--22 cuts and 6 whiffs

CH- heavily used with a tad more horizontal break but similar on velo spectrum to SL at 85.5 MPH, threw 25--15 strikes with 10 hacks and 3 whiffs

CU- much more horizontal movement than other stuff, lightly used at 79 mph, threw only 7--3 strikes with 3 swings and a whiff on it

Overall was impressed with his mound presence and general stuff, release point was remarkably consistent and filled up the zone...many borderline calls did not fall his way but stayed together and was just plain solid.

Thank you for this!

2400 SPIN on his Fastball 

2400 SPIN on his Cutter

Buying tons of Gallen stock considering his command, pitch arsenal, and spin on his pitches. Puts him in the upper percentile if these numbers stay consistent. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MathieuVirtuoso said:

2400 SPIN on his Fastball 

2400 SPIN on his Cutter

Buying tons of Gallen stock considering his command, pitch arsenal, and spin on his pitches. Puts him in the upper percentile if these numbers stay consistent. 

Cant buy what isnt for sale friend.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

🤠 I'm rockin my 10 Gallen hat this mornin' boys...yeeehawww...giddy up

Edited by dfstout
  • Haha 1

Wasn't blown away watching but he looked solid and in control. Would've liked to see a bit more gas (around 92-94), maybe it will come as I expected around 95 from reports.

The changeup was filthy though and looks a real weapon, a number of 3-2 whiffs on it below the zone. Curve had good depth but missed the zone quite a lot and didnt get too many chases.

Quite a slight dude so not the intimidating type, but hopefully can be very effective as a command guy. I see a midrotation type arm here ROS and beyond. Maybe theres more to come though as his numbers were no fluke, and ive heard he has a good cutter too.

• Thanks 1