13 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

That's filthy looking. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

That's filthy looking. 

Carp looked down like, "where'd that ball go?"

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Marlin's are really loaded with arms. Their starting rotation has been putting up elite numbers now for a while, and generally all season they've been good. Bullpen is atrocious though.

Their best pitching prospect isn't even up yet. In another year they're going to have Sanchez / Smith / Gallen / Lopez / Alcantara / Richards, plus Yamamoto & Hernandez already look terrific. Could be the leagues best pitching staff as soon as next year if these guys keep progressing. 

Edited by worldclass

My only concern at the moment is if he starts falling behind in counts, his FB is pretty hittable. If he stays ahead in counts, his curve and changeup will do wonders.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

My only concern at the moment is if he starts falling behind in counts, his FB is pretty hittable. If he stays ahead in counts, his curve and changeup will do wonders.

Can see that. Don’t know how the final tally ended up, as I didn’t see the end of the 5th inning, but he started 13 of the first 16 hitters with a strike on Wednesday. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I watched a lot of it, some good deception with his stride/delivery, chart was pretty solid:

FB- averaged 93 MPH, touched 95, great vert action with it, threw 29--18 for strikes with 12 swings but no whiffs

SL- main secondary, sat 85 mph, minimal break actions on it but good spin, threw 38 and commanded it impeccably with 25 strikes--22 cuts and 6 whiffs

CH- heavily used with a tad more horizontal break but similar on velo spectrum to SL at 85.5 MPH, threw 25--15 strikes with 10 hacks and 3 whiffs

CU- much more horizontal movement than other stuff, lightly used at 79 mph, threw only 7--3 strikes with 3 swings and a whiff on it

Overall was impressed with his mound presence and general stuff, release point was remarkably consistent and filled up the zone...many borderline calls did not fall his way but stayed together and was just plain solid.

Seems his cutter is what is being categorized as a slider here. Was trying to figure out why I didn't read he threw a cutter when that pitch is what he was attributing his resurgent AAA success to.

chart.png

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mexal said:

Seems his cutter is what is being categorized as a slider here. Was trying to figure out why I didn't read he threw a cutter when that pitch is what he was attributing his resurgent AAA success to.

chart.png

Watching the game the FB stood out as his make or break. Great command -- only 3 of the 28 thrown missed over the middle of the plate. He was great working up and down and both sides of the plate. The catchers glove, when it moved, always seemed to move away from the plate. But guys were tracking it pretty good by his second time through the order. Top end MLB bats may clobber it even when he paints the corners. In the 4th Goldy crushed one just foul that was right up top of the zone, before Ozuna golfed one at the knees to the warning track.

Personally I don’t like the idea of Gallen vs Corbin.. I just can’t see how Gallen gets the W unless he can get through6 innings. But I think I’m going to take the chance.

35 minutes ago, ghostdragon said:

Personally I don’t like the idea of Gallen vs Corbin.. I just can’t see how Gallen gets the W unless he can get through6 innings. But I think I’m going to take the chance.

Marlins have been destroying some pitchers lately

• Like 1

2 hours ago, herschel said:

Who’s throwing him out there this week vs was??

Me. Gotta ride the hot hand, he seems legit, even against the Nats

15 hours ago, herschel said:

I am.  It is entirely possible he doesn't get the win vs. Corbin, although it's not like he has lights out almost all the time like he was last season.  Still, I think Gallen can pitch good against them.

I would be more concerned if Gallen was a lefty.

On 6/24/2019 at 2:59 PM, herschel said:

I am! He can do it!

• Like 1

The final line doesn’t do justice to what this kid did tonight. He stymied an excellent offense striking out 8 and only allowing 3 base runners (1 hit and 2 walks) through his first 5 innings. It wasn't until the third time through the lineup in the top of the 6th that he gave up 3 straight singles to tie the game at one. At 90 pitches he was pulled with runners on 1st and 2nd. Chen enters the game and gives up a 3 run hr this mucking up Gallen’s final line. 

• Like 2

GOD he pitched so well. Then gives up some singles in the 6th and he gets pulled.

Chen with a 8 ERA on the season comes in with 2 runners on because they just had to get that LeFtY oN LeFty matchup

So naturally he gives up a bomb

5 ip, 3 er, jesus

How is Chen still pitching in the majors? Dude should’ve been DFA’d months ago.

his first outing, he was very good for 4 innings and they got to him in the 5th. 
this time, he was outstanding for 5 innings and then a 6th which wasnt good but looks a lot worse in the box score

next time, lets hope for 6.

2 hours ago, meh2 said:

How is Chen still pitching in the majors? Dude should’ve been DFA’d months ago.

It helps when you're on a team where the organization could care less right now.

36 minutes ago, tesla said:

his first outing, he was very good for 4 innings and they got to him in the 5th. 
this time, he was outstanding for 5 innings and then a 6th which wasnt good but looks a lot worse in the box score

next time, lets hope for 6.

It should come in time.  You don't pitch as good as he did tonight for 5 innings by accident or anything.  Whether he just runs out of gas around 90 or he needs to have better pitch sequencing so this doesn't happen the 3rd time through, I dunno, but either scenario is fixable and that is why I think he will be just fine even at the tail end of his starts in time.

@WAS and @ATL will be a stiff test.

8 hours ago, BMcP said:

@WAS and @ATL will be a stiff test.

Yeah, although more worried about the @ATL start.  As long as the 6th inning wasn't a sign that the Nationals figured him out already.

Thanks so much for all your tireless chart-work, @ST. STEVEN!  We all appreciate it!

• Like 1