crotchcrickets

Zac Gallen 2019 Outlook

39 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

No... but there’s a lot of young arms and a lot of innings to restrict.  Some possibilities include a 6 man, a dodgers type phantom dL carousel...and of course, getting sent down.

Good point. I guess I was just trying to make the point that maybe someone like McKay or even Cease (who I don't like as much) might have clearer more defined paths to regular starts, at least for this season. Just something to keep in mind when determining his worth ROS. 

7 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Are we even certain that Gallen will stick in the rotation? Yamamoto has been better and Lopez is due back soon...

Not directly applicable, but still relevant to the Marlins SP situation:

07.12: Elieser Hernandez will be shifted to the Marlins' bullpen.

He essentially lost his rotation spot to Caleb Smith, who returned from the injured list just before the All-Star break. Hernandez, 24, owns a 4.25 ERA in five starts and two relief appearances this year with Miami.

You ever see a steaming pile of goat excrement?  Well, not as good as that.

14 minutes ago, pjoner said:

how did he look tonight?

Their announcers tried to spin some of his start as being positive, but honestly he was pretty bad.  For a guy who's had great command in the minors, it sure is surprising to see that be a liability for him so far in the Majors.  He had 5 Walks tonight, bringing his total up to 10 in 17.2 innings.

Posted (edited)

You guys think he's a hold or drop/streamer in 10 teamers? His control has been pretty underwhelming

Edited by street sharks

2 minutes ago, street sharks said:

You guys think he's a hold or drop/streamer in 10 teamers? His control has been pretty underwhelming

Dump in 10.  Hold in 12.

Is there any hope for Gallen going forward? He has been quite awful so far but the Ks are there at least.

And how about these splits:

37.8% LD

24.4% GB

37.8% FB

I'm surprised his stats aren't worse than they are.

I was a huge Gallen fan.  However, after watching every start, there's just nothing terribly inspiring.  His biggest asset was supposed to be command.  10 walks in 17 innings, certainly doesn't reflect that.  His fastball is average, or below.  If he's not getting guys to chase his breaking stuff, he's screwed.  And he hasn't very often.  He gets behind in the count, and is afraid to challenge with his fastball.   And I can't blame him, as it has little to no movement.  Nor does he make a habit, of locating it very well.  Therefore, he just continues to nibble.  Is quite frustrating to watch.

• Thanks 1

Gallen is just getting adjusted right now, I wouldn't drop him. He has a 12% swinging strike rate and over 11 K's per 9. For all the talk of his fastball sucking, it's actually been okay so far outside of his command of it. I expect that to normalize + it plays up due to the high spin rate on it. His minor league batted ball profile is elite, so let's give him a bit more of a sample size here. 

• Like 1

He's had 4 starts. 2 of em vs Was. Only one real clunker. He's getting Ks, I'm not ready to make my mind up about him yet.  I think pedigree gets some leash here yet. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

He's had 4 starts. 2 of em vs Was. Only one real clunker. He's getting Ks, I'm not ready to make my mind up about him yet.  I think pedigree gets some leash here yet. 

Long term, I'd agree that he shouldn't be given up on completely.  Short term, I wouldn't blame people for moving on for now.  The command has been an issue in almost all of his starts.  It just didn't really show until last game when it added up to 5 Walks.  He hasn't pitched beyond 5 innings, and it's not just because teams baby young pitchers as his pitch counts haven't been that bad.

I can't be the only guy in a h2h with an era higher than Willie Nelsons bandanna.  Rolling him on out with the rest of my walking dead.  

59 minutes ago, Mongeese said:

Considering, but leaning no.

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d32126a504e563573

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

I can't be the only guy in a h2h with an era higher than Willie Nelsons bandanna.  Rolling him on out with the rest of my walking dead.  

I’m right there with you. He can’t hurt me tonight so I’m just looking for some Ks and if we’re super lucky a QS. 

For what it's worth, the Dodgers finished Game 3 of their series against the Phillies at 1am Thursday morning after a long rain delay and then played the Phillies in the pouring rain for game 4 at 12:35pm later that day. Then left Philadelphia after the game for Los Angeles. Perhaps they're well-rested but that was certainly an exhausting series and could be a factor against Gallen.

2 hours ago, GratefulPhan said:

Another pedestrian start, with walks still the glaring issue. 

Pedestrian? He came into Dodger stadium, gave up 3 hits, and held the Dodgers scoreless through 5 innings. The time he had some trouble the ump called a strike a ball on a 3-2 count against Bellinger with 2 outs. That would have gotten him out of the inning, but then Zac proceeded to walk the following batter before getting out of the jam. Had he gotten that strike, his line would have been closer to 5.1 IP, 3 hits, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K...maybe getting that quality start if his pitch count had remained low.

https://twitter.com/Green_N_Gold18/status/1152412160066281472

#7 is what the ump called a ball. Gallen struck out Bellinger twice last night. Would have been 3 Ks if called correctly.

• Like 1

The FA was missing some ticks, with how his command has been wavering, it could lead to some trouble? But pretty decent outing all things considered:

FA- averaged 90.5 MPH, but did have some nice vertical movement at least, threw 52--32 for strikes with 19 swings and 4 whiffs

SL- sat 86 MPH with very nice dive and dart actions to it, threw 16--8 strikes with 7 swings and 2 whiffs

CU- effective horizontal sweep to it, like the speed at 77 MPH, also spun 16--10 for strikes with 8 hacks and 1 whiff

CH- threw just 6 but looked solid--3 strikes with 3 cuts and a 2 whiffs

SI- just 5 sinkers at 91 MPH only 1 for a strike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Pedestrian? He came into Dodger stadium, gave up 3 hits, and held the Dodgers scoreless through 5 innings. The time he had some trouble the ump called a strike a ball on a 3-2 count against Bellinger with 2 outs. That would have gotten him out of the inning, but then Zac proceeded to walk the following batter before getting out of the jam. Had he gotten that strike, his line would have been closer to 5.1 IP, 3 hits, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K...maybe getting that quality start if his pitch count had remained low.

https://twitter.com/Green_N_Gold18/status/1152412160066281472

#7 is what the ump called a ball. Gallen struck out Bellinger twice last night. Would have been 3 Ks if called correctly.

You are likely right that his line would have been closer to that if he had gotten the call, but that doesn't really excuse him walking the very next guy.  Walks/command is still an issue for Gallen, no matter if he got a call against him or not.  Combined with the fact that he pitches for the Marlins, and it makes him a hard guy to own right now except in dynasty leagues where you keep a bunch of players.

Not saying he won't eventually be as good as expected, but his borderline awful command is surprising for a guy that was the exact opposite in the minors.  I go as far as to say borderline awful given his performance in the minors, which obviously raised expectations for his command (and obviously overall performance).

• Thanks 1