crotchcrickets

Zac Gallen 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

You are likely right that his line would have been closer to that if he had gotten the call, but that doesn't really excuse him walking the very next guy.  Walks/command is still an issue for Gallen, no matter if he got a call against him or not.  Combined with the fact that he pitches for the Marlins, and it makes him a hard guy to own right now except in dynasty leagues where you keep a bunch of players.

Not saying he won't eventually be as good as expected, but his borderline awful command is surprising for a guy that was the exact opposite in the minors.  I go as far as to say borderline awful given his performance in the minors, which obviously raised expectations for his command (and obviously overall performance).

What he said. 

• Like 1

Pretty damn impressive tonight.  He looked awesome.  Obviously, he is a rookie so you can expect ups and downs, but what he showed tonight is really what he did in the minors all year.  For those in keeper leagues, he's a must hold, imo.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've been trying to acquire this guy all year in my dynasty (with no luck) :(

This guy dominated the PCL (where pitches die). He's whiffing major leaguers at an elite level. He's managing contact well. The only flaw so far has been the walks. And Gallen's walks/9 in AAA was an elite 1.68. All the ingredients are there. All the arrows point to success. 

A Future ace right here. 

Edited by NoHablaIngles

Great start and heck of a chart tonight:

FA- sat 93+with awesome vertical action on, threw 42--29 for strikes with 17 cuts and 6 whiffs

KC- yep the ol knuckle curve, beautiful sweeping shape to it, sat 79 MPH and spun up 27--23 strikes with 17 hacks and 5 whiffs!

CH- sat 86 MPH with nice fade, tossed 15--9 strikes with 7 swings and 3 whiffs

FC- it's a hybrid slide piece imo, but has promise, sits 87 mph with sweet double action movement (vert/horizontal) compliments his velo spectrum, threw 9--6 strikes and 6 swings

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Great start and heck of a chart tonight:

FA- sat 93+with awesome vertical action on, threw 42--29 for strikes with 17 cuts and 6 whiffs

KC- yep the ol knuckle curve, beautiful sweeping shape to it, sat 79 MPH and spun up 27--23 strikes with 17 hacks and 5 whiffs!

CH- sat 86 MPH with nice fade, tossed 15--9 strikes with 7 swings and 3 whiffs

FC- it's a hybrid slide piece imo, but has promise, sits 87 mph with sweet double action movement (vert/horizontal) compliments his velo spectrum, threw 9--6 strikes and 6 swings

27 KC for 23 strikes is an extremely high strike percentage. Does it look like he is commanding this pitch really well and hitting his spots on the edge of the zone? Inducing swings out of the zone? Or just lopping the thing over plate?

Always love reading your write ups! Thank you!

5 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

27 KC for 23 strikes is an extremely high strike percentage. Does it look like he is commanding this pitch really well and hitting his spots on the edge of the zone? Inducing swings out of the zone? Or just lopping the thing over plate?

Always love reading your write ups! Thank you!

I only caught a couple innings, just as a means to cross-reference with the charts...he def was burying the KC in the lowest quadrants/below the zone.

The zone plots do not give me pitch specific breakdowns, but he was using the entire zone and I am seeing 5-6 pitches that were on the black, but in the zone that were called balls! Only about 3-4 pitches that were near the heart of the strike zone, lots of good work on the inner half too. 3 pitches that he elevated above the zone for swinging strikes. I think he would benefit even more by going upstairs with the FA as a finisher...esp given the dev of the KC and his incredibly consistent release point on all his offerings.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, herschel said:

Impressive outing.

8 swinging strikes on his changeup tonight. Also striking out Luis Arraez swinging not once but twice is incredible. Arraez has a swinging strike rate of 3.6%

• Like 3

Is it likely he will get shut down at one point since he's on a non contending team?

WTF?

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that Zac Gallen has been traded to the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, herschel said:

WTF?

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that Zac Gallen has been traded to the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Jazz Chisholm to the Marlins.  A top prospect bat for a top prospect arm.  (I still think Gallen is the better player).

At least it should be a little bit better line-up to get him some runs.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Derek Jeter playing GM like going to his left at SS, terribly.

1 minute ago, terminator10 said:

Value upgrade or downgrade or no change ?

Id say its an upgrade. The DBacks are a better offensive team.

Just now, terminator10 said:

downgrade from a park perspective.  also has to face the dodgers and go to coors, so i would say a downgrade from a division perspective.  might be able to get a few more wins with a better offense to work with?

4 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

I'd say no change. Park factors worsen but it is not extreme, the humidor fixed a lot of the extreme hitter profile of that ballpark. Better line-up/team mitigate the slight downgrade in home park...div is a slight downgrade because of the Coors trips, but even that is offset some by the SD/SF trips too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, herschel said:

downgrade from a park perspective.  also has to face the dodgers and go to coors, so i would say a downgrade from a division perspective.  might be able to get a few more wins with a better offense to work with?

Gallen has 5 starts in July and the Marlins scored 8 total runs.

Miami is -98 in run differential, Arizona is +63

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

There's no way to argue that it doesn't help Gallen.  Obviously Miami's park is one of the best pitchers parks in all of baseball, but Arizona's is fine now with the humidor, and he at least will have a chance to win more than 5 games a season now.

I say Gallen would have been lucky to win more than 2 games the rest of the season.  Miami is truly that awful, and not trading Castro makes them worse for the short term as well (meaning Diaz is unlikely to be called up as soon as he would have been otherwise).  While Arizona isn't as good as they used to be, he could easily win that in a month or less now.

Posted (edited)

Summary:

The good:

- Better hitting team to help Ws

- Pitching in better road parks

- Better defense

The bad:

- Pitching in worse home park

- Tougher schedule

I think the plusses outweigh the minuses

Edited by terminator10
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

There's no way to argue that it doesn't help Gallen.  Obviously Miami's park is one of the best pitchers parks in all of baseball, but Arizona's is fine now with the humidor, and he at least will have a chance to win more than 5 games a season now.

I say Gallen would have been lucky to win more than 2 games the rest of the season.  Miami is truly that awful, and not trading Castro makes them worse for the short term as well (meaning Diaz is unlikely to be called up as soon as he would have been otherwise).  While Arizona isn't as good as they used to be, he could easily win that in a month or less now.

There is absolutely ways to argue it doesn’t help Gallen. Outside of the W category, what categories does this help him so much? And if you are in 2019 and don’t use W as a category lol, he can’t help you there either.

Edited by ThreadKiller

3 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

There is absolutely ways to argue it doesn’t help Gallen. Outside of the W category, what categories does this help him so much? And if you are in 2019 and don’t use W as a category lol, he can’t help you there either.

More likely to play in meaningful games and not get shut down or pulled with a pitch count in the mid 80s