crotchcrickets

Zac Gallen 2019 Outlook

10 hours ago, RoadApple said:

Id say its an upgrade. The DBacks are a better offensive team.

Yep.  Definitely an upgrade.  Better line-up and will get even better what with getting Seth Beer from Houston who could be up as early as next year sometime.  And better parks to pitch in in SF, SD and Dodger Stadium.  Just sit him at Coors.

And isn’t Arizona amongst the leagues best in defense too? I think that tilts this to being a win for Gallen

1 minute ago, terminator10 said:

And isn’t Arizona amongst the leagues best in defense too? I think that tilts this to being a win for Gallen

The Marlins also have a good defense, just not quite as good as the D-Backs.

6 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

There is absolutely ways to argue it doesn’t help Gallen. Outside of the W category, what categories does this help him so much? And if you are in 2019 and don’t use W as a category lol, he can’t help you there either.

Just because he might take a slight hit in ratios doesn't mean it still doesn't help him overall.  It's not like he's going to Coors and would take any substantial enough hits to his ratios to really matter.  More people still likely play in leagues that have Wins as a category, so that is also why that would get factored in by anybody that thinks this is good for Gallen.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Just because he might take a slight hit in ratios doesn't mean it still doesn't help him overall.  It's not like he's going to Coors and would take any substantial enough hits to his ratios to really matter.  More people still likely play in leagues that have Wins as a category, so that is also why that would get factored in by anybody that thinks this is good for Gallen.

Huh?

How does a hit in ratios (the categories we use in fantasy baseball) help him? Like I said, W is likely the only category in fantasy baseball that he will see a bump in so if you don't have that category, I'm not sure how this is such an obvious slam dunk that helps Gallen? This doesn't seem like rocket science so I'm confused why it's being missed? If his ERA goes up, that hurts a category. If his WHIP goes up, that hurts a category. Catch my drift? How do those going up help him in fantasy leagues? LOL.

Edited by ThreadKiller

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yep.  Definitely an upgrade.  Better line-up and will get even better what with getting Seth Beer from Houston who could be up as early as next year sometime.  And better parks to pitch in in SF, SD and Dodger Stadium.  Just sit him at Coors.

Again, what does the better lineup have to do with anything outside of the "W" category? My league uses QS, ERA, WHIP, k/9, K among others. Explain how this is such a slam dunk and easily helps him?

Like I keep saying, the only category this helps him in is 'W'. I'd argue that the downgrade in other categories neutralizes the gain in 'W' anyway. I just don't get how some can admit there's a downgrade across the board in ratios (categories) but still say it's an easy upgrade for Gallen in fantasy lol? Mind boggling.

Edited by ThreadKiller

3 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Again, what does the better lineup have to do with anything outside of the "W" category?

You've never seen pitchers perform better once they get moved from a team has an actual shot at contending? I have. Arizona is 3 games out of the wildcard. Dont be surprised if his ratios actually improve from where they currently are. Its not a given this guys ERA/WHIP are going to take a negative hit. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dirty Little Birdie said:

You've never seen pitchers perform better once they get moved from a team has an actual shot at contending? I have. Arizona is 3 games out of the wildcard. Dont be surprised if his ratios actually improve from where they currently are. Its not a given this guys ERA/WHIP are going to take a negative hit. 

Agreed but that's unknown. I'm questioning those saying "his ratios will go up but this is a win for Gallen in fantasy." That statement just doesn't make any sense whatsoever lol.

14 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Again, what does the better lineup have to do with anything outside of the "W" category? My league uses QS, ERA, WHIP, k/9, K among others. Explain how this is such a slam dunk and easily helps him?

Like I keep saying, the only category this helps him in is 'W'. I'd argue that the downgrade in other categories neutralizes the gain in 'W' anyway. I just don't get how some can admit there's a downgrade across the board in ratios (categories) but still say it's an easy upgrade for Gallen in fantasy lol? Mind boggling.

—Defense better 

—of the bottom 6 stadiums in park factor this season, 4 are NL West (Dodger, Petco, Oracle), including his new home (Chase)

—Marlins park currently 10th in park factor for runs

I can definitely see a scenario where this helps his ERA/WHIP. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

This whole post just reeks of ignorance to the nuances of the game.  

First and foremost, as of now the Dbacks have arguably the best defensive team in the game. That alone is a + in ERA and WHIP

Also, if the team he's pitching for is leading, which sure as hell wasn't happening often in MIA, he's more likely to stay in the game, not get pinch hit for. Staying in the game longer creates more opportunities for QS, K. Is there a potential downside there to other cats, such as ERA, because batters are getting more looks at him, sure. But I'll take that chance.

Its as big of a win on paper for Gallen as your post is just fundamentally wrong. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Agreed but that's unknown. I'm questioning those saying "his ratios will go up but this is a win for Gallen in fantasy." That statement just doesn't make any sense whatsoever lol.

I would assume that leagues that dont use Wins as a stat use something in its place (Quality Starts?). If thats the case then Gallen still get a boost because he has a much better shot at Quality Starts now that hes on a team with a better defense who scores a lot more runs.

If you dont use Wins or Quality Starts, what are you using?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

This whole post just reeks of ignorance to the nuances of the game.  

First and foremost, as of now the Dbacks have arguably the best defensive team in the game. That alone is a + in ERA and WHIP

Also, if the team he's pitching for is leading, which sure as hell wasn't happening often in MIA, he's more likely to stay in the game, not get pinch hit for. Staying in the game longer creates more opportunities for QS, K. Is there a potential downside there to other cats, such as ERA, because batters are getting more looks at him, sure. But I'll take that chance.

Its as big of a win on paper for Gallen as your post is just fundamentally wrong. 

I agree with the possibility of better D in Arizona leading to a possibly improvement in ERA and WHIP. If you had read my comments, you'd know that the comment of "his ratios will go up and this helps him in fantasy." is what I am questioning. That blanket statement makes no sense. Sorry it wasn't clear for you as your post here "reeks of ignorance to understanding what I was saying."

No need to be confrontational here, man. I'm so sorry that my questioning of a comment has bothered you to the core this morning.

Elaborate on how my post is "wrong" Mr Cosmo?

Edited by ThreadKiller

3 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

I would assume that leagues that dont use Wins as a stat use something in its place (Quality Starts?). If thats the case then Gallen still get a boost because he has a much better shot at Quality Starts now that hes on a team with a better defense who scores a lot more runs.

If you dont use Wins or Quality Starts, what are you using?

Huh? What does the offense behind him have to do with QS? I use QS and that is independent to how many runs the offense scores. That's the point of using it lol.

15 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

That is not an exact quote so the use of quotation marks isn't warranted. If you're going to make an argument I would suggest not twisting people's words to fit whatever side of the argument you sit on. 

They were saying that in leagues that count wins as a category, which is likely most leagues even if yours does not, even if his ratios take a slight hit that overall he could still benefit from this change of scenery rather than have it cost him. The idea behind his argument is that Gallen's ratios are currently a 2.72 era and 1.18 whip so if those were to increase slightly, lets say to a 3.20 era and a 1.25 whip, that the the opportunity for more wins could outweigh the increase in ratios. I know that wins are unpredictable so even if your league counts QS instead you have to think this trade helps him in either category due to the better defense which could potentially allow Gallen to pitch deeper into games, thus giving him more opportunities for wins or QS. Also, he still has the ability to strike guys out which could potentially increase if he pitches deeper into games because of that good defense. So even if his ratios did increase slightly like I and other posters have said above he could still benefit from this trade, especially since 2019 fantasy pitching has been such a crapheap. Even a slight increase in his current ratios would still be very useful in our game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ThreadKiller said:

Huh? What does the offense behind him have to do with QS? I use QS and that is independent to how many runs the offense scores. That's the point of using it lol.

If the offense scores more runs for him, he's less likely to be pinch hit for in the 5th or 6th inning. Thats baseball ,man.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

I agree with all of this. If you had read my comments, you'd know that the comment of "his ratios will go up and this helps him in fantasy." That blanket statement makes no sense. Sorry it wasn't clear for you as your post here "reeks of ignorance to understanding what I was saying."

No need to be confrontational here from your keyboard, man.

Elaborate on how my post is "wrong" Mr Cosmo?

Stop using a false quote. 

3 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

That is what he said. Not what you keep putting in quotation marks. I explained what this means in my previous post. 

• Like 1

Just now, ThreadKiller said:

Was this not just explained to you? 

7 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Also, if the team he's pitching for is leading, which sure as hell wasn't happening often in MIA, he's more likely to stay in the game, not get pinch hit for. Staying in the game longer creates more opportunities for QS, K.

As a matter of fact, it was... and you even said that you agree with it. 

4 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

I agree with all of this.

So how do we get back to asking how the offense has something to do with it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

That is not an exact quote so the use of quotation marks isn't warranted. If you're going to make an argument I would suggest not twisting people's words to fit whatever side of the argument you sit on. 

They were saying that in leagues that count wins as a category, which is likely most leagues even if yours does not, even if his ratios take a slight hit that overall he could still benefit from this change of scenery rather than have it cost him. The idea behind his argument is that Gallen's ratios are currently a 2.72 era and 1.18 whip so if those were to increase slightly, lets say to a 3.20 era and a 1.25 whip, that the the opportunity for more wins could outweigh the increase in ratios. I know that wins are unpredictable so even if your league counts QS instead you have to think this trade helps him in either category due to the better defense which could potentially allow Gallen to pitch deeper into games, thus giving him more opportunities for wins or QS. Also, he still has the ability to strike guys out which could potentially increase if he pitches deeper into games because of that good defense. So even if his ratios did increase slightly like I and other posters have said above he could still benefit from this trade, especially since 2019 fantasy pitching has been such a crapheap. Even a slight increase in his current ratios would still be very useful in our game. 

The argument of going deeper into games is the only one that makes sense. But the higher ERA/WHIP could balance out how deep he goes into games due to allowing more runs and likely throwing more pitches, don't you think?

I just don't see how an increase in ratios across the board helps in leagues outside of the W category. 

3 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

If the offense scores more runs for him, he's less likely to be pinch hit for in the 5th or 6th inning. Thats baseball ,man.

That's a fair point. Didn't think of that.

Thanks for not responding as if your hair was on fire. Not sure why so many in here get so angry on the internet lol.

That's a fair point. Didn't think of that.

Thanks for not responding as if your hair was on fire. Not sure why so many in here get so angry on the internet lol.

Yet you just read a post, mine,that said that almost verbatim.

12 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Also, if the team he's pitching for is leading, which sure as hell wasn't happening often in MIA, he's more likely to stay in the game, not get pinch hit for. Staying in the game longer creates more opportunities for QS, K.

Stop trolling the board. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

The argument of going deeper into games is the only one that makes sense. But the higher ERA/WHIP could balance out how deep he goes into games due to allowing more runs and likely throwing more pitches, don't you think?

I just don't see how an increase in ratios across the board helps in leagues outside of the W category. 

I, for one, am not assuming his ratios will go up and even if they do go up slightly the extra wins, K's, innings and QS's will more than offset those slight increases.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

Stop using a false quote. 

That is what he said. Not what you keep putting in quotation marks. I explained what this means in my previous post. 

That statement implies that the move to Arizona helps him even if ratios go up. My argument is why does it help him if the ratios we use as categories in fantasy baseball go up? I was questioning the logic of that. I apologize it bothered you so much today.

4 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

I, for one, am not assuming his ratios will go up and even if they do go up slightly the extra wins, K's, innings and QS's will more than offset those slight increases.

Agreed. If we don't think the ratios will go up (better defense, different ballparks, etc) than it's a moot point. I was just questioning the logic that if all ratios go up, it's good for Gallen in fantasy. That's all.

That statement implies that the move to Arizona helps him even if ratios go up. My argument is why does it help him if the ratios we use as categories in fantasy baseball go up? I was questioning the logic of that. I apologize it bothered you so much today.

You're not bothering me man, I just am sitting drinking my coffee and enjoying the back and forth of this forum. I just didn't think it was fair to use use quotations when you changed the wording of what you were quoting, that's all. 

Just now, RoadApple said:

I think this is the simplest way of explaining even if his ratios slightly increase this could come out as a win for Gallen owners, even in leagues with QS. It's also likely that those ratios remain the same and things equal out because he's going deeper into games. The possibility of him going deeper into games lies in the idea that he may not get pulled early as often due to the team leading. If this happens in a game in which he has given up 3 ER in 5 innings and he's allowed to go two more innings his ratios will obviously improve so there's that possibility too. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Image result for running in a circle gif

This isn't directed at anyone, just thought it fit the debate nicely haha

Edited by BostonCajun
adding a comment
  • Haha 1