crotchcrickets

Zac Gallen 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, BostonCajun said:

You're not bothering me man, I just am sitting drinking my coffee and enjoying the back and forth of this forum. I just didn't think it was fair to use use quotations when you changed the wording of what you were quoting, that's all. 

I think this is the simplest way of explaining even if his ratios slightly increase this could come out as a win for Gallen owners, even in leagues with QS. It's also likely that those ratios remain the same and things equal out because he's going deeper into games. The possibility of him going deeper into games lies in the idea that he may not get pulled early as often due to the team leading. If this happens in a game in which he has given up 3 ER in 5 innings and he's allowed to go two more innings his ratios will obviously improve so there's that possibility too. 

Doesn't the chance of giving up more runs (getting pulled earlier) offset the possibility of going deeper into other tight games though?

Posted (edited)

This may be a silly questions, but are we certain that Gallen is "in" the MLB rotation? I just glanced at the D'Backs depth chart and it lists him as their sixth SP. And if he is, where do we think he ranks ROS [...] ?

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Bench Coach content.

To say going from Marlins to AZ isn't at least a slight downgrade, yet alone a upgrade seems hopefully and optimistic. I can see how the defensive argument makes sense so it may not be a dramatic difference. However hoping and hanging on the the argument that he might go deeper into games cause they are winning is a bit off though. In 6/7 games (1 game was relief, prior to asb) pitch counts have been all in the 90's and 1 at 105. If he stops walking so many people he will go later into games but not because his team is winning or losing. He was more of a 1 bb per game in the milb so hopefully he can get back to that. A debut 7 game MLB sample seems very small to me, so that's where my hope lies. 

Any type of innings limit/cap for this season?

4 hours ago, tucker26 said:

. . . Any type of innings limit/cap for this season?

Nothing I've seen. He did 147 in 2017 and 133 last year. Sitting on 128, Another 10 starts should put him at 180-185, which is reasonable. As a good sized command pitcher with 4 solid offerings, he has the makeup to become one of those 200+ innings 220+ K guys (crosses fingers).

Not on the active roster (and Yahoo has him NA, which momentarily freaked me out this morning). But Dbacks beat reporter still thinks he'll start one of the Phillies series next week.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Redsfan34 said:

Is there no info on when his next start will be yet?

CBS showing wed vs philly.

6 hours ago, herschel said:

CBS showing wed vs philly.

It seems to be pretty official too even though places like Yahoo aren't showing it yet...

Just a heads up that Zac attack still doesn't have his own thread listed in the index. Many use that like me, so he needs adding sharpish.

Finally making his long awaited start for the Backs tonight. Should be a good'un, Phillies are nothing scary especially on the road.

Just relieved he stayed in the NL. If the Marlins sold him to an AL team like the O's or Jays that would've been horrendous.

• Like 1

I think he's either going to be lights out or implode tonight. Hes either shaken on the trade out of the blue, or he's hyped and PO'd... My money is on dominance, I'm firing him up!

• Like 1

If his offense does what it has all season against lefties the chances of him getting a win definitely go up. Arizona is ranked 3rd, 4th, 3rd, and 3rd in ave/obp/slg/ops among all teams. Compare that to how Philadelphia is ranked against righties this season...20th, 16th, 23rd, and 21st. This is a nice matchup for him. Let's go! 

6 hours ago, StevieStats said:

I think he's either going to be lights out or implode tonight. Hes either shaken on the trade out of the blue, or he's hyped and PO'd... My money is on dominance, I'm firing him up!

Honestly don't see why he'd be shaken, so I'm going with your prediction.

he pitched well for 5 innings.   6k's and 1 hit, but 3 walks.  

85 pitches. couldnt they have left him in for 1 more inning to give me the QS

1 hour ago, tesla said:

I watched. He was pretty dominant all game, 16 swinging strikes (his changeup was filthy today). Announcers talked about the D'Backs not wanting to over-extend him in his first Arizona outing, especially because he hadn't pitched on his normal routine. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tesla said:

No because that's when he would have given up 4 runs and allowed 5 baserunners, including a bases-clearing three-run bomb. Lol. 

This kid is going to be vicious. Heck, he already is. 

What about the 85 pitches though? Is he going to be on a tight pitch count all year?

10 hours ago, herschel said:

Anyone dare start him at Coors next week?

In weekly leagues where he also gets a start against the Giants later in the week, it's a tricky decision. 

1 hour ago, Gandalfthecat said:

This kid is going to be vicious. Heck, he already is. 

What about the 85 pitches though? Is he going to be on a tight pitch count all year?

Like someone above mentioned, I suspect he was kept at 85 pitches last night because he hadnt pitched in 9 days. The 4 starts before that in Miami were 105, 95, 95 & 92

• Like 1

17 hours ago, herschel said:

I doubt I will.  I'm pretty high on him like some others are in here as well, but I pretty much stay away from Coors.  Obviously you get the rare good pitched game there, but it's hard to say that there isn't concern starting almost everybody there this season.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/8/2019 at 1:39 AM, herschel said:

Nope! I ALWAYS bench my pitchers at Coors, just not worth the risk. Love Gallen, but Coors isn't worth it.

We aren't talking park dimensions, we are talking the freaking altitude/atmosphere that literally diminishes the movement of your pitches and impacts flight of batted balls.

As equally excited for hitters you should be dismissive of pitchers. Once in a while you miss a real good start, but it's not common.

Edited by StevieStats
  • Like 1

2 starts this week, probably looking at 12-15 k's and 5-6 ER with 12-13 IP, I will take that all day long in weekly leagues in which I have a solid ERA/WHIP but am chasing wins

All Aboard!