crotchcrickets

Zac Gallen 2019 Outlook

In weekly leagues, you just have to hope he survives the Coors start without it being a total disaster since the next one against the Giants should be quite good.  In daily leagues, he's an easy bench for Coors, but then obviously at least we'll get one solid start out of him.  It'll just be like when he was traded and we had to wait a while for his first start.

• Like 1

12 total runs in their last 5 games, on the road but still....

Rocks at home score only 4-5 a lot of times and most of those are not from starters

I do not see why weekly roto goers are shying away from Gallen this week. I mean sure he SHOULD give up 3-4 vs Rockies but it would not surprise me if he had 7 k's and only gave up 2-3 and then shut the Giants down

On 8/8/2019 at 7:51 AM, Gandalfthecat said:

This kid is going to be vicious. Heck, he already is. 

What about the 85 pitches though? Is he going to be on a tight pitch count all year?

D-backs Booth cites Lovullo that there will be no restrictions.

Yeah that sucks but things could have been a lot worse so I can’t be too upset. He allowed 3 doubles, 6 singles and one walk and showed a lot of grit by getting out of jams. 

What gives, looks like his second start was pushed into next week.   Given how much he's been jerked around, it may not be a given that he gets 2 starts next week either.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, BirdDog20 said:

What gives, looks like his second start was pushed into next week.   Given how much he's been jerked around, it may not be a given that he gets 2 starts next week either.

They are going with a 6-man rotation and they've already said they were prior to sites assuming he was going to pitch tomorrow.

I'm actually glad he's pitching on Monday as he gets Colorado in Arizona, and he's going up against an awful Freeland rather than Bumgarner, giving him a much better chance at run support.  Granted now I'll miss some of the game, but the stats matter more.

Since they are off on Thursday, he will not get a 2nd start.  He should start again the following Monday against the Giants in SF.  Much more ideal than if they were pitching a traditional 5-man rotation, as he would be getting the Brewers in Milwaukee instead.

Edited by KilloWertz

In weekly lineup changes, it would have been nice to make the move after this week because I wouldn't have started Gallen for a single game @ COL.    Figured I'd bite the bullet on the @Colorado start in order to get 2 shots at wins, extra Ks, and potentially decent ratios.  If there's only 6 games next week, then he gets only 1 game next week as well.  Bummer.

23 minutes ago, BirdDog20 said:

In weekly lineup changes, it would have been nice to make the move after this week because I wouldn't have started Gallen for a single game @ COL.    Figured I'd bite the bullet on the @Colorado start in order to get 2 shots at wins, extra Ks, and potentially decent ratios.  If there's only 6 games next week, then he gets only 1 game next week as well.  Bummer.

Didn't think about that since I don't do H2H.  Yeah, that does suck that places made people think he was getting 2 starts this week, having to take the Coors game in hopes of getting tomorrow's game.  You would think you could rely on what the sites provide you.

Like the person above me just said, it's all good from this point on because of it, but it still does suck if the Coors start ended up costing you your week.

• Like 1

M

12 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Didn't think about that since I don't do H2H.  Yeah, that does suck that places made people think he was getting 2 starts this week, having to take the Coors game in hopes of getting tomorrow's game.  You would think you could rely on what the sites provide you.

Like the person above me just said, it's all good from this point on because of it, but it still does suck if the Coors start ended up costing you your week.

Agreed, and all that being said, the coors start could have been much worse. 

This one was roto, just happens to have weekly lineup settings, so 2 starts weeks are certainly beneficial even if one matchup is tough.  I had enough confidence in Gallen that he'd survive the first matchup and be somewhat rewarded by the second.  I wasn't as concerned about ratios because of my gaps as i just wanted counting stats.  Obviously though, i wouldn't want to be destroyed - we were fortunate that it wasn't worse.  Really wanted that win.

5 minutes ago, herschel said:

So one start or two starts this week?  CBS is showing two.

Gallen didn’t have walk issues in AAA this year shown by his 1.68 bb/9 in 91.1 innings. Weird he is walking so many guys in the bigs. His bb/9 is 4.94 between the marlins and dbacks this year after his 6 tonight.

12 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

1.  It's amazing how these sites continue to ignore the fact that they've said they're going with a 6-man rotation.  Not knocking anybody here, but it's been known for at least since around the Gallen trade.  Unless Arizona is really moving things around, the Sunday start should be Kelly, but Yahoo has Kelly listed as going Saturday.

The way things have gone, it's been Clarke, Kelly, and then Gallen.  For whatever reason, Rotoworld and Yahoo assume it's now Kelly, Gallen, and Clarke.  Honestly, they should just be going with a 5-man rotation since Clarke is awful, but it's not my team to run.  Still, if things keep going the way they have been, Gallen pitches on Monday (and in a much better matchup than Milwaukee in Milwaukee).

9 hours ago, Csiebert5 said:

Gallen didn’t have walk issues in AAA this year shown by his 1.68 bb/9 in 91.1 innings. Weird he is walking so many guys in the bigs. His bb/9 is 4.94 between the marlins and dbacks this year after his 6 tonight.

That seems like something he SHOULD be able to get in order.  like  sprint speed, or fastball velocity, control is something that shouldn’t change too much, if at all with a level jump.  Given how he has been really good  WITH that unexpected increase, im excited to see if there’s another level should it stabilize,

• Like 1

The really odd thing is, it seemed like he was up in the count on most of his walks. When he was with the Marlins, when he had two strikes on a guy whether 0-2, 1-2 he would toss an eye level fastball like you would in little league, to see if the guy would chase or to make your curve seem a little bigger. But its no where near the zone and it's just  waste of a pitch

He could just be getting fatigued. Getting later in the season and pressing against better competition can take make a difference. Not sure what his previous IP's are, is he above and beyond a normal limit already?

1 hour ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

He could just be getting fatigued. Getting later in the season and pressing against better competition can take make a difference. Not sure what his previous IP's are, is he above and beyond a normal limit already?

Nah then his results would be poor. I think he’s just got great stuff and he could toy with minor leaguers and get them to chase what he wanted at will. Now he has to adjust and just work harder on making the right pitch; not just any pitch.  I think he will put it all together but it might take some time. Such is the life of a young pitcher 

• Like 1

I watched that 4 walk inning and saw him hit 95 and 96 mph, I thought he was a soft tosser who relied on control and pitch mix? Seems like the ingredients are all there, just need to coalesce...

42 minutes ago, PittsburghSports said:

Anybody starting tonight? I'm hanging on to the 6 spot in a tight matchup.

Yep. He pitched pretty well against the Dodgers last time out so I'll give him a shot.