Sign in to follow this  
The 7th Beatles

Adbert Alzolay 2019 Outlook

Kyle Hendricks is only out for a couple weeks, he might get a couple spot starts if he’s lucky.  Or he could be used in long relief.

Posted (edited)

[...] 

Was excited about this guy when I heard he was poised to make his debut. Could bring some immediate results however his first appearance doesn’t seem to bring too much fantasy appeal at least in QS leagues... being the “bulk” guy will disqualify him from getting a QS since he’s not technically starting. 

Anyhow... last 5 games he’s pitched:

40/3 K/BB ratio, 28 IP, 1.93 ERA

Id grab now if you have the spot, ask questions later, and don’t expect too much out this first one if you are in QS league 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 1

I made the speculative pickup.  Chatwood gets blown up and Alzolay is stellar - it wouldn't be hard for Chatwood to get the long relief role and Alzolay the starter I would think.  It's a lottery grab, but the upside is fantastic considering the team he'd be pitching for

For those on GS limits, today will be a good time to test the waters.  Hoping for some Ks and a little ratio help.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Csiebert5 said:

[...] 

Was excited about this guy when I heard he was poised to make his debut. Could bring some immediate results however his first appearance doesn’t seem to bring too much fantasy appeal at least in QS leagues... being the “bulk” guy will disqualify him from getting a QS since he’s not technically starting. 

Anyhow... last 5 games he’s pitched:

40/3 K/BB ratio, 28 IP, 1.93 ERA

Id grab now if you have the spot, ask questions later, and don’t expect too much out this first one if you are in QS league 

I'd say this guy is going to struggle to get many QS even if he sticks in the bigs. At least this year. 

30 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I'd say this guy is going to struggle to get many QS even if he sticks in the bigs. At least this year. 

on the flip side, does this increase his value in wins leagues if he bulk relieves?

is there anything he has changed this season to increase the K's?

2017 he was 8+ K/9. 2018 he was 6+ K/9.

9 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

on the flip side, does this increase his value in wins leagues if he bulk relieves?

Possibly. We might want to see how long they let him go, but in theory it should. Sometimes coaches say one thing but reality doesn't always meet those claims.

8 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

is there anything he has changed this season to increase the K's?

2017 he was 8+ K/9. 2018 he was 6+ K/9.

Getting great depth/rotation with his curve, and command has just progressed in general, even read whispers that the CH has developed too.

8 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

Picked him up.  Don’t like pitcher w shoulder injingment issues. 

I am not 100% on his aliments over the course of his career, but last year was a lat injury--and it lingered into fall and ST too...believe he is finally past it

this write up is misleading.

Cubs purchased the contract of RHP Adbert Alzolay from Triple-A Iowa.

Advice: To create a roster spot for him, the Cubs designated reliever Tim Collins for assignment. Alzolay will debut Thursday against the Mets. The plan is reportedly for him to "follow" starter Tyler Chatwood in what will amount to a bullpen game for the Cubs. Touted as Chicago's No. 4 prospect according to MLB.com, the Venezuelan right-hander has put up a 4.00 ERA along with a 12.25 K/9 across seven minor-league starts this year with six coming at Iowa. He could warrant deep-league attention, depending on how the Cubs use him.

he made 1 start in A+ where he went 4 IP, 7 H, 5 ER.

he had 6 starts in AAA where he went 32 IP, 24 H, 11 ER, 6 BB, 46 K, 3.09 ERA, 0.94 WHIP.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=188319

• Like 1

Been looking at lots of articles about him from today, including post-game stuff (just from looking up Adbert Alzolay news on Google), and the Cubs are being really vague about plans beyond tonight, won't say whether his next appearance will be a start or another long relief appearance. But they're leaving all options open, including a short-term six-man rotation with both him and Chatwood for now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Caelum said:

Been looking at lots of articles about him from today, including post-game stuff (just from looking up Adbert Alzolay news on Google), and the Cubs are being really vague about plans beyond tonight, won't say whether his next appearance will be a start or another long relief appearance. But they're leaving all options open, including a short-term six-man rotation with both him and Chatwood for now.

I am seeing the same stuff too. He is worth a hold for now while things get sorted out. 

If he keeps this form up can he take a rotation spot from a washed up Darvish?