Sign in to follow this  
The 7th Beatles

Adbert Alzolay 2019 Outlook

I'll take that start from Adbalz. I'll hold unless the cubs bump him (when Hendricks comes back)

18 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

How did he look tonight? I only caught the fifth inning and he was awful, but that likely was due to him being gassed by then. How was he in the first four innings?

He gave up one hit. A home run. Against the Braves. If you caught the 5th you understand the walks. The stat line doesn't equal the performance, IMO. I thought he was very good, then he got tired.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He was getting squeezed hard towards the end! Blue gave him an extra dose of RC treatment and Fried should have been a K! Period! (Mind you, this would have given him 5IP, TWO less BB, and changed his perceived outing immensely.) Still wasn't bad, but he got jobbed by the blue the last few innings and I'm rooting for the other team in a big way. Just keeping it real... 

• Thanks 1

Stuff wasn't so much the issue, he missed too far out of the zone to get the benefit of the close (and likely strike) call when it was well enough placed, good chart tho:

FA- sat nearly 95 MPH with great vert action on it, threw 47--27 strikes on 24 hacks and 4 whiffers

CH- it's much better than was advertised, sat 85 mph with killer fade/tumble action, threw 27--16 strikes with 14 swings and 5 whiffs

CU- still needs to find the handle on it, has been plus in the past (very good horizontal movement), spun up 12--8 strikes with 5 cuts and 3 whiffs, sat 80 MPH

SL- only 1 nice 1 for a swinging strike at 87

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

A solid first start for Adbert Alzolay…
He was matched up with Max Fried (6.0 IP, 2 R, 2 H, 5 BB, 8 K) and the Braves and managed to hold his own.  While he was pulled after 4.2 IP he allowed 1 ER on 1 H and 4 BB, striking out 4, and ultimately settled for a no decision.  He did a good job of generating swings and misses (12) and in 8.2 IP since debuting he owns a 2.08 ERA, 0.92 WHIP and 9 K.  Obviously his control (6 BB) and home run issues (2 HR courtesy of a 36.8% groundball rate) are concerns, though the former should sort itself out if he sticks in the rotation (he had a 1.69 BB/9 over 32.0 IP at Triple-A).  Home runs are always going to be a potential issue (41.7% groundball rate at Triple-A) and that could ultimately limit his overall appeal.  For now consider him more of a streaming option with potential, as opposed to someone to trust.

http://rotoprofessor.com/10-important-stories-from-06-25-19-box-scores-which-rookie-starters-are-must-buys-allen-alzolay-are-we-selling-these-big-names-snell-flaherty-more/

Anyone think he’s got a legit shot at staying up as a starter? Or is this a short time. 

1 hour ago, floppy said:

Anyone think he’s got a legit shot at staying up as a starter? Or is this a short time. 

I think we're currently start to start. He needs to have a good outing next time out or he's going back to the minors or to the bullpen.

• Like 1

He throws hard and it isn't straight. Showed well overall in a tough matchup vs. the hot hitting Braves, but that changeup? off speed pitch he threw to K Freddie Freeman was just filthy!!! It broke downward and away, simultaneously and violently! If he can do that to lefties, and have a natural advantage w/ FB Slider against righties, I feel he's worthy of a rotation spot in CHI. I'd agree w/ Oswald that he's game by game ATM, but I was very impressed w/ his arsenal overall.  

• Like 1

Starting again Mon in PIT, depending on how that goes he might also take another turn next ween @ CHW on Sun...?

• Like 1

Hamels hurt. 

If you had hesitation, add NOW

• Like 1

Yeah, he should get an extended look with Hamels out for who knows how long.
Seems like a solid add, and hopefully he'll be quickly able to go deeper into games.

Does he get two starts this week or one? I have seen different things regarding this.

6 hours ago, Ace_King said:

Does he get two starts this week or one? I have seen different things regarding this.

Lets hope just one 

• Haha 3

This hurt.  Obviously not what I was expecting versus the Pirates.  I should have known better. Expect the unexpected in fantasy baseball.

He’s probably going to be optioned down after today, because they have a 4 game set here and will need a fresh arm.

I'm glad I didn't have the stones to start Adbalz today. That would've been a real kick in the nuts.

• Like 2

In my redrafts, I was on the fence due to BB but this starts made Adbert and easy drop for me, playing with fire......