Sign in to follow this  
fletch44

Aaron Civale 2019 Outlook

Getting the call by the Tribe to start Saturday versus Detroit. Maybe worth monitoring in AL/deep leagues...

Right-hander Aaron Civale is expected to start for the Indians on Saturday against the Tigers, Zack Meisel of The Athletic tweets. Civale is not yet on the Indians’ 40-man roster, which is currently at capacity.

This will be the first major league promotion for the 24-year-old Civale, who joined the Tribe as a third-round pick out of Northeastern University in the 2016 draft. FanGraphs(No. 22) and MLB.com (No. 24) each regard Civale as one of the Indians’ top 30 prospects. Kiley McDaniel and Eric Longenhagen of FanGraphs wrote in April that “Civale does not miss many bats because he has limited fastball velocity, but he’s a high-volume strike thrower with excellent secondary stuff, including one of the best curveball spin rates in the minors.”

So far in 2019, Civale has used what FanGraphs calls a “spacious bag of tricks” to record a 2.85 ERA with 8.8 K/9 and 2.2 BB/9 in seven starts and 41 innings divided between the Double-A and Triple-A levels. He’ll now temporarily take over in the Indians’ rotation for Mike Clevinger, whom they placed on the injured list Friday. Clevinger may only miss one start, so Civale’s first stint in Cleveland’s starting staff could be a short one.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/indians-expected-to-promote-aaron-civale.html

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=civale000aar

• Like 1

Nice matchup obviously, and stranger things have happened this season than a middle of the road prospect coming up and doing good, but I'm hesitant on streaming him tomorrow as he wasn't doing anything special prior to this season and he wasn't doing anything special in AAA this season in 2 starts either.

On 6/23/2019 at 11:41 AM, bjvance5 said:

Anyone watch the start? Nice line. Something here?

Bump

And is he going to start again vs BAL??

3 hours ago, jeffcarroll23 said:

Bump

And is he going to start again vs BAL??

Well he just got demoted to AAA.... but still curious on how he looked

45 minutes ago, bjvance5 said:

Well he just got demoted to AAA.... but still curious on how he looked

MLfs6pyi4QXbkaCy.mp4?tag=10

He was a little wild but still efficient and kept hitters off balance all day. Its the tigers but still an impressive debut.

anyone had eyes on his start? good stuff or smoke and mirrors first 2 turns in MLB?

11 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Another solid start. Is this for the real deal? 

He’s close to a must add for me. He had great command, solid offerings, and was hitting all parts of the zone. I don’t think he’ll be a huge strikeout guy (maybe 8k/9) but I was impressed.

• Like 1

I streamed vs Tex and I think he's intriguing but at this point he's still more a matchups guy for me. His next 3 starts are...

@ Minn

@ NYY 

@ the revived NYM 

If someone wants to hold through that more power to them but it won't be me.

I am intrigued. This guy seems to be flying under the radar with how bad pitching has been this year. With Kluber back soon does he stick in the rotation?

32 minutes ago, street sharks said:

I am intrigued. This guy seems to be flying under the radar with how bad pitching has been this year. With Kluber back soon does he stick in the rotation?

Unless I’m forgetting about someone, I think Plutko would get the boot. Clev, Bieber, Kluber, Civale, and Plesac. As much as I like this kid, he’ll be sitting on my bench at the Yanks in his next start.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meh2 said:

Unless I’m forgetting about someone, I think Plutko would get the boot. Clev, Bieber, Kluber, Civale, and Plesac. As much as I like this kid, he’ll be sitting on my bench at the Yanks in his next start.

Agreed.  Plutko will likely get the boot unless Civale collapses.

I'm expecting a bad start in Yankee Stadium, but hopefully he's able to get back on track afterwards.  I'm not starting him there either.

Really surprised there isnt more buzz surrounding this kid. 4 outings so far, 2 of which against elite teams in MIN and NYY, and all 4 being QS, only allowing 4 ER in 24 innings. Was very nervous for him against the bombers but, aside from letting up 8 hits, held them to only 2 runs. Pretty impressive stuff.

• Like 5