2ndCitySox

2019 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

New rule (thank you) that eliminates the waiver trade process and sets a hard deadline of July 31. That should make July a lot of fun! 

I haven't seen much in the way of trade rumors yet, aside from general discussion about Bumgarner. 

there are some obvious buyers and sellers, but there's a slew of bubble teams that will figure out what they will do soon:

White Sox: to me they are obviously not in a buy mode, even if they get hot  

Basically all of the AL West except Seattle and houston: this should be fun. Oakland, LAA, and Texas are all competitive. 

Nationals: probably a sell unless they win some games. the team shouldn't be this bad, but the bullpen is hot garbage. 

Mets: they've been volatile this season. Their new GM has shown he likes to be active, and in a win-now mode. I could see them adding even if they shouldn't. 

Cardinals: should buy unless they have a brutal stretch. division is still unsurprisingly tight. They need a non-fragile quality starter IMO. 

reds: have shocked baseball by jumping back into the division. but I see them as sellers unless they continue to make a strong push. 

Padres: played well, then sucked, now playing better again. since their window is just starting to open, if they do buy, it won't be for anyone significant. 

D-Backs: staying in the WC hunt. I don't have a good read on them, so I kinda feel like they will do nothing and just roll with it. 

 

What big names could you see moving? 

Edited by 2ndCitySox
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ill go with

Closers: Colome, S.Greene, W.Smith, S.Romo

Starting Pitchers: MadBum, M.Boyd

Hitters: D.Gordon, J.Abreu, N.Castellanos, E.Sogard, F.Galvis, C.Frazier

 

Shot in the dark on prospects that could be dealt

I.Anderson, K.Ruiz, E.Florial, M.Amaya, A.Medina

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good call on Boyd. tigers should strike will the iron is hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smoak is another to keep an eye on. Good pop and on base skills, cheap contact, 32 years old on a rebuilding team.  Could be a sneaky fantasy asset for the second half especially in OBP/OPS leagues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2019 at 12:52 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

good call on Boyd. tigers should strike will the iron is hot.

 

The Tigers should sell the entire roster.  Get whatever they can and then go grab some street FA and quad A guys to finish out the year.  This half baked "sell a guy or two to aid the rebuild" isn't going to work when they need to blow up the whole thing and start over.  Sell everything they can this year before someone wrecks whatever value they have.  Boyd = Jeff Weaver.  Greene needs to be moved before he reverts to Todd Jones Jr. of last year.   I don't care how unlikely the prospect for the rest of them, but if I can get anything for guys like Goodrum, Stewart, Dixon, I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Castanellos HAS to be moved soon.  Clean house and start over.

They need to be ready to have support for Mize.  Not have the guy in purgatory for the next few years with a mediocre team, and waiting on top draft picks in the minors to get to the majors so he can get some help while counting the days to getting out of here.

 

giphy.gif

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Will Smith is on everyone's radar and the rumor posted yesterday is the Dodgers want to add him badly and are in very serious talks with their arch-rival that would give them a roster of two Will Smith's in the process.  Let us see if SF will FINALLY clean house since they have delusionally put it off the last couple of years.

Each year people here say this bat or that bat should be moved but where is the market?  Tons of teams want to move their bats but no buyers.  Why?  Because a team has limits and can only offer so many players/prospects and/or money back and pitching is always king at the deadline.  Always always the most pressing need, both starters and relievers.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Yeah... not going to happen. Boyd is fantastic, but the Tigers are dreaming.

 

Lol Padres interested as well. They prob ask for Tatis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tigers held out for Torres a season or so ago when Yanks wanted Fullmer.  Avila is a crud GM - just see what he got for JD Martinez, Justin Verlander.  He asks the moon and the stars and gets nothing until he loses leverage with walk season players and gives them away for nothing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Tigers held out for Torres a season or so ago when Yanks wanted Fullmer.  Avila is a crud GM - just see what he got for JD Martinez, Justin Verlander.  He asks the moon and the stars and gets nothing until he loses leverage with walk season players and gives them away for nothing. 

You’re correct on JD , however the haul at the time for JV was very good considering his contract (and they had to eat a good portion of it to move him) .  Franklin Perez was a consensus top 50 prospect... Daz Cameron and Jake Rodgers were in the Astros top 10 as well too I believe at the time.

Edited by afgolfman666
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any shot someone goes after Adam Duvall and gives him a chance in their lineup?  He is hitting .261 with 24 HRs in the minors and is still only 30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, afgolfman666 said:

You’re correct on JD , however the haul at the time for JV was very good considering his contract (and they had to eat a good portion of it to move him) .  Franklin Perez was a consensus top 50 prospect... Daz Cameron and Jake Rodgers were in the Astros top 10 as well too I believe at the time.

The whole thing is revisionist history. You’re correct on JV—contract, age all came into play. That was widely regarded as a good return. And JD, there was NO market. And if you doubted it at the time, it was evident when BOS got him for a steal the following spring. No one wanted to pay for a 30 year-old corner OF who is a liability on defense and didn’t have a long record of success. 

As for the Gleyber ask, we can all agree that it’s not happening. But the market shifts, and it looks like it’s going to be a seller’s market for teams with SP & RP again. Because of his contract, I think Boyd will command more than MadBum, Stroman, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

The whole thing is revisionist history. You’re correct on JV—contract, age all came into play. That was widely regarded as a good return. And JD, there was NO market. And if you doubted it at the time, it was evident when BOS got him for a steal the following spring. No one wanted to pay for a 30 year-old corner OF who is a liability on defense and didn’t have a long record of success. 

As for the Gleyber ask, we can all agree that it’s not happening. But the market shifts, and it looks like it’s going to be a seller’s market for teams with SP & RP again. Because of his contract, I think Boyd will command more than MadBum, Stroman, etc. 

Let’s hope... because these are the last two trade chips Avila has left.  I think Boyd is certainly going to be dealt barring injury.... especially after Avila fumbled dealing fulmer these past few years so terribly.

Man the future for tigers baseball is depressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boyd to the Padres makes a ton of sense.  The Pads have the prospect currency.  

At the same time do they want another LHP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2019 at 12:26 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

New rule (thank you) that eliminates the waiver trade process and sets a hard deadline of July 31. That should make July a lot of fun! 

I haven't seen much in the way of trade rumors yet, aside from general discussion about Bumgarner. 

there are some obvious buyers and sellers, but there's a slew of bubble teams that will figure out what they will do soon:

White Sox: to me they are obviously not in a buy mode, even if they get hot  

Basically all of the AL West except Seattle and houston: this should be fun. Oakland, LAA, and Texas are all competitive. 

Nationals: probably a sell unless they win some games. the team shouldn't be this bad, but the bullpen is hot garbage. 

Mets: they've been volatile this season. Their new GM has shown he likes to be active, and in a win-now mode. I could see them adding even if they shouldn't. 

Cardinals: should buy unless they have a brutal stretch. division is still unsurprisingly tight. They need a non-fragile quality starter IMO. 

reds: have shocked baseball by jumping back into the division. but I see them as sellers unless they continue to make a strong push. 

Padres: played well, then sucked, now playing better again. since their window is just starting to open, if they do buy, it won't be for anyone significant. 

D-Backs: staying in the WC hunt. I don't have a good read on them, so I kinda feel like they will do nothing and just roll with it. 

 

What big names could you see moving? 

 

If the Padres buy it'll be for an asset that's cost controlled for at least 2020, preferably longer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, B&F said:

Boyd to the Padres makes a ton of sense.  The Pads have the prospect currency.  

At the same time do they want another LHP?

 

If it's a Boyd that's cost controlled through 2022 sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There aren’t a ton of sellers.  With a ridiculous number of 5 teams projected to lose a 100 games, Most of the league is in the wildcard hunt

Seattle, Baltimore, Toronto, Kansas City, Detroit are sellers

Miami, SF

possibly White Sox and Reds

Mets should but they’re incompetent.

there also isn’t a ton of players on these teams that other teams want.  

Could be a slower deadline than what people expect.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sternes said:

Any shot someone goes after Adam Duvall and gives him a chance in their lineup?  He is hitting .261 with 24 HRs in the minors and is still only 30.

It's possible.  I could see him get moved for a relief guy, or something small like that.  Still, there aren't a bunch of teams lining up and most teams selling aren't looking to get a 30 year old back in a deal, in all likelihood. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

There aren’t a ton of sellers.  With a ridiculous number of 5 teams projected to lose a 100 games, Most of the league is in the wildcard hunt 

 

We're still a month away from the deadline.  By that time, there are going to be a lot of teams who are mathematically "in the hunt" but know they don't have the pieces to contend in October.  If anything, I think the inability to do waiver trades in August is going to have some of those teams wanting the early mover advantage and selling even more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, B&F said:

Boyd to the Padres makes a ton of sense.  The Pads have the prospect currency.  

At the same time do they want another LHP?

I would think lauer or lucchessi would go in the deal

lamet wilL be back this week too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.