2ndCitySox

2019 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

If the Giants do NOT sell off because they want Bochy to ride into the sunset with whatever they "think" they can do -- which they can't -- then they are more stupid than the Mets.  Bochy has his rings.  He is fine.  Time to think about the future of the Giants.

Yeah, really hurt their future if they miss out the next Dawel Lugo. There is still a draft pick compensation system around for FA, right?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s funny when people discuss Bum. When the talk of him being traded it’s he's not that good anymore and won’t get much back. But when the talk is possibly keeping him it’s how can you not deal him for studs. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, LivingOnTheEdge said:

 

They will never beat any top team like Boston - Yankees - Astros - Dodgers ... whats the point ? Winning 1 playoff round ?

Their 3 rings are in the past. Buster Posey is not 25 yrs old anymore

And I bet you didn't think the O's would sweep the Red Sox either, right? And the Giants won again tonight! Though I do agree with you will be tough to beat the Dodgers, Stros, and/or Yankees. But this game we call baseball can be very strange at times. Bottom line is right now is the Giants are winning games. Debate all you want, it is a fact!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Z06vette said:

Yeah. The Giants are very stupid. I think they know what they are doing. Say what you want, with this team that so many think just isn't very good, have won what, 16 out of the last 20 games? Might not be world champs, but, regardless, it is impressive! I don't know it all -  and I won't claim that I do. I have my opinion. That's all. If you think it is stupid, that's okay with me!

 

Broken record here, but please revisit the 2018 Pittsburgh Pirates July and report back. 

 

Teams get hot, doesn't mean they are contenders. SFG would get boatraced in a series against Chc, Lad, Atl - assuming they could even get by Was, Phi, Stl, Mil in the WC game. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LoGo said:

 

Broken record here, but please revisit the 2018 Pittsburgh Pirates July and report back. 

 

Teams get hot, doesn't mean they are contenders. SFG would get boatraced in a series against Chc, Lad, Atl - assuming they could even get by Was, Phi, Stl, Mil in the WC game. 

If you're in the playoff chase you're a contender. Certainly not the favorite, but we've seen the underdog win a series many times before. Heck, this exact franchise has done it twice in relatively recent memory. I wouldn't bet on SF keeping this up and making the playoffs. If they somehow pulled off the miracle of miracles and made the playoffs I wouldn't think they'd go anywhere. But they're absolutely contenders right now. I think they'd be fools to pass on selling guys, but they can justify the decision if that's the route they go. And that's just from the baseball side - from the finance side there's probably some value in keeping fans interested rather than just selling everything and watching interest (sales) quickly drop.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Stickfig13 said:

 

I was commenting on the Dodger fan’s nonsense... 

 

I agree. The Cole Hamels deal to Texas is a good comp. Phillies got 6 players back. Giants need a huge haul. 

Not a dodgers fan. It's just common sense, INB4 to get value while it's still there. Even the Orioles have a stretch every year where they win 15 outta 20 or whatever. Silly Giants fan, even if you make the playoffs which is highly unlikely, you still have to BEAT both the dodgers in R1 and probably the Cubs Braves or Nationals? Maybe the Brewers? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Posts removed.  Take the "your team sucks", "you're a hater" stuff to PM if you must.]

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Boyd makes his next start or they skip him as his next scheduled start would be July 28th.  Though it would be against Seattle, so he probably looks good in it if he does start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

If you're in the playoff chase you're a contender. Certainly not the favorite, but we've seen the underdog win a series many times before. Heck, this exact franchise has done it twice in relatively recent memory. I wouldn't bet on SF keeping this up and making the playoffs. If they somehow pulled off the miracle of miracles and made the playoffs I wouldn't think they'd go anywhere. But they're absolutely contenders right now. I think they'd be fools to pass on selling guys, but they can justify the decision if that's the route they go. And that's just from the baseball side - from the finance side there's probably some value in keeping fans interested rather than just selling everything and watching interest (sales) quickly drop.

 

I know this isn't a perfect tool, in fact I generally disregard it as a whole, but according to the most updated odds, Vegas has them as the 16th best odds. So literally half of the major league teams are viewed more highly as contenders than SFG. 

 

Again, betting odds and real baseball are two different stories, but unless San Francisco is going to be BUYERS at the deadline, I don't know how their front office can view their current roster as World Series caliber. 

 

With that said, and it's been stated in this thread ad nauseum, they don't need to sell if the offer is viewed as less enticing than a QO draft pick. We'll see how it goes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Stickfig13 said:

 

How bad does the team want to win? 

This guy is hilarious. All hail the best hitter on the Giants: Evan Longoria finishing the year with 18 bombs and a 258 average. Tyler F'ing Beede for ROY. The  Reds have a better chance of making the playoffs and even that's a bit of a longshot. I can hear the chants now in San Francisco as Posey steps into the box with Herculean batting stats, appearing on the scoreboard, reminiscent of Carlos Zambrano, a pitcher... MVP MVP MVP 👌 

 

Were there any Giants actually drafted in standard leagues besides Bumgarner Posey and Smith? 2 of those guys are past their prime, and the other is having his best year yet. The farm system is terrible. Do the math. This feels like Tom Hanks near the end of Saving Private Ryan firing a handgun at a f'ing tank.

 

BTW I'm not a Dodgers fan. Thank you. The Orioles had the best record in baseball after 2 weeks a couple years ago or something. You gotta believe!

 

The Giants need to get what they can and replenish the farm. Sure it'd be a feel good moment for Bochy but let's not ignore logic and make the Giants bad for a really long time

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

If you're in the playoff chase you're a contender. Certainly not the favorite, but we've seen the underdog win a series many times before. Heck, this exact franchise has done it twice in relatively recent memory. I wouldn't bet on SF keeping this up and making the playoffs. If they somehow pulled off the miracle of miracles and made the playoffs I wouldn't think they'd go anywhere. But they're absolutely contenders right now. I think they'd be fools to pass on selling guys, but they can justify the decision if that's the route they go. And that's just from the baseball side - from the finance side there's probably some value in keeping fans interested rather than just selling everything and watching interest (sales) quickly drop.

 

*done it three times 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

This guy is hilarious. All hail the best hitter on the Giants: Evan Longoria finishing the year with 18 bombs and a 258 average. Tyler F'ing Beede for ROY. The  Reds have a better chance of making the playoffs and even that's a bit of a longshot. I can hear the chants now in San Francisco as Posey steps into the box with Herculean batting stats, appearing on the scoreboard, reminiscent of Carlos Zambrano, a pitcher... MVP MVP MVP 👌 

 

Were there any Giants actually drafted in standard leagues besides Bumgarner Posey and Smith? 2 of those guys are past their prime, and the other is having his best year yet. The farm system is terrible. Do the math. This feels like Tom Hanks near the end of Saving Private Ryan firing a handgun at a f'ing tank.

 

BTW I'm not a Dodgers fan. Thank you. The Orioles had the best record in baseball after 2 weeks a couple years ago or something. You gotta believe!

 

The Giants need to get what they can and replenish the farm. Sure it'd be a feel good moment for Bochy but let's not ignore logic and make the Giants bad for a really long time

 

I don’t get it. The Giants are clearly in a rebuild after a dynasty decade. Nobody is disputing. They are a mediocre team on paper. We know that. 

They are on a torrid hot streak right now, which brings up the question about whether they should trade. Any baseball fan knows the Giants aren’t for real. We are enjoying a little bit of life out of a team that was listless for months. 

So far the only thing the Dodgers have won is the pennant. Say whatever you want about their talent versus the Giants, but only one team has won. Don’t act like that isn’t relevant anymore because the Cubs, Red Sox, and Dodgers are better teams.  

 

 

 

Edited by Stickfig13
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stickfig13 said:

 

I don’t get it. The Giants are clearly in a rebuild after a dynasty decade. Nobody is disputing. They are a mediocre team on paper. We know that. 

They are on a torrid hot streak right now, which brings up the question about whether they should trade. Any baseball fan knows the Giants aren’t for real. We are enjoying a little bit of life out of a team that was listless for months. 

So far the only thing the Dodgers have won is the pennant. Say whatever you want about their talent versus the Giants, but only one team has won. Don’t act like that isn’t relevant anymore. 

 

 

 

 

This.

People forget that at the end of the day the question is,  "did you win and what did you win"?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this depends on the "haul" - if Giants are offered say an hitter who is a top 40-60 prospect who is a starter for them in 2020, I think they pull the trigger, if its a package of upside guys who are still 2-3 years away, they probably roll the dice and see where this ride takes them.  Bottom line, is that this team has miles to go to catch the Dodgers (overall team, not just this year division) so the reality is that the "rebuild" will probably still result in being in the Wild Card and not winning the division, well thats where you are this year, your in the wild card hunt.  So why give up this years wild card hunt for a wild card hunt 2-3 years from now?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, parrothead said:

I think this depends on the "haul" - if Giants are offered say an hitter who is a top 40-60 prospect who is a starter for them in 2020, I think they pull the trigger, if its a package of upside guys who are still 2-3 years away, they probably roll the dice and see where this ride takes them.  Bottom line, is that this team has miles to go to catch the Dodgers (overall team, not just this year division) so the reality is that the "rebuild" will probably still result in being in the Wild Card and not winning the division, well thats where you are this year, your in the wild card hunt.  So why give up this years wild card hunt for a wild card hunt 2-3 years from now?  

 

I mostly agree with this. I truly think Bum will resign with the Giants next year. Knowing that, nobody is giving up anything unless they believe he has something left for a playoff run. 

He has flashed signs in the last two starts of being the guy he was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

 

I mostly agree with this. I truly think Bum will resign with the Giants next year. Knowing that, nobody is giving up anything unless they believe he has something left for a playoff run. 

He has flashed signs in the last two starts of being the guy he was. 

Then why are you claiming u want something similar to Hamels deal? There's tons of teams ready to give up a top 50 player and a lottery or 2... for a 3 month rental? That's a pretty good score...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, parrothead said:

I think this depends on the "haul" - if Giants are offered say an hitter who is a top 40-60 prospect who is a starter for them in 2020, I think they pull the trigger, if its a package of upside guys who are still 2-3 years away, they probably roll the dice and see where this ride takes them.  Bottom line, is that this team has miles to go to catch the Dodgers (overall team, not just this year division) so the reality is that the "rebuild" will probably still result in being in the Wild Card and not winning the division, well thats where you are this year, your in the wild card hunt.  So why give up this years wild card hunt for a wild card hunt 2-3 years from now?  

Pirela would be a starter for them right now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Pirela would be a starter for them right now

 

Jose pirela?  No.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, parrothead said:

I think this depends on the "haul" - if Giants are offered say an hitter who is a top 40-60 prospect who is a starter for them in 2020, I think they pull the trigger, if its a package of upside guys who are still 2-3 years away, they probably roll the dice and see where this ride takes them.  Bottom line, is that this team has miles to go to catch the Dodgers (overall team, not just this year division) so the reality is that the "rebuild" will probably still result in being in the Wild Card and not winning the division, well thats where you are this year, your in the wild card hunt.  So why give up this years wild card hunt for a wild card hunt 2-3 years from now?  

 

Facing the Giants in the playoffs would be the Dodgers worst  nightmare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dkrocka said:

Then why are you claiming u want something similar to Hamels deal? There's tons of teams ready to give up a top 50 player and a lottery or 2... for a 3 month rental? That's a pretty good score...

 

I’m not claiming anything. I said Hamel and Bum are similar guys with similar resumes. A deal like that would be ultimate. Do I think they get it? No. 

Yeah, I do think teams are willing to give up prospects if they think they can win. Look at the guys in most of these multiple player deals. One or two usually works out. That Hamels deal hasn’t done anything for the Phils, but it gave them players to work with. Giants don’t have that and they need it. 

Edited by Stickfig13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

 

Jose pirela?  No.   

He would not only be a starter but their second best hitter just like Dickerson 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

 

But for real. Come on Brewers, break the ice and get a pitcher!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 96mnc said:

 

This.

People forget that at the end of the day the question is,  "did you win and what did you win"?

Correct .. they won the whole damn thing three times in this decade. Not too bad for a team that most thought got lucky every year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In regards to the whole Giants making the playoffs debate.. let’s just put it this way.. there’s no way they start selling pieces if they are still a game or 2 out of the WC or even holding a wild card spot bu the time the deadline is here. No GM is going to do that. The fans would riot and they would lose a huge part of their fan base. I can’t think of a time a team in the wild card spot or a game or 2 out selling. Believe what you want about there being much better teams in the league but the organization isn’t going to be like “welp the dodgers are better than us no way we can beat them let’s just give up”. Surely they’ll assess where they are at and act accordingly. Like many said maybe they do sell madbum and others if they get top prospects that will help then win next year but I don’t see them just giving up being so close to a wild card spot. They will need more pieces, and im sure they know that, so I doubt they give up without trying to improve their team to make a run. If this were a dynasty fantasy team then we would all probably start selling pieces but this is a real life team with the overall goal of winning a World Series. If they get in the playoffs they have just a good a chance as anyone. It’s baseball! 

Im not at all a Giants fan but I really disagree with some of the posts here. I can’t see any team selling off pieces if they are so close in the hunt. Internally, the organization views itself much higher than outsiders. They are going to try to go for it given they hold their position in the playoff race. 

On a side note, this IS the first yr of a single Trade deadline so it will be very interesting to see where some of the teams go from here. Big decisions to be made!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.