2ndCitySox

2019 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Csiebert5 said:

In regards to the whole Giants making the playoffs debate.. let’s just put it this way.. there’s no way they start selling pieces if they are still a game or 2 out of the WC or even holding a wild card spot bu the time the deadline is here. No GM is going to do that. The fans would riot and they would lose a huge part of their fan base. I can’t think of a time a team in the wild card spot or a game or 2 out selling. Believe what you want about there being much better teams in the league but the organization isn’t going to be like “welp the dodgers are better than us no way we can beat them let’s just give up”. Surely they’ll assess where they are at and act accordingly. Like many said maybe they do sell madbum and others if they get top prospects that will help then win next year but I don’t see them just giving up being so close to a wild card spot. They will need more pieces, and im sure they know that, so I doubt they give up without trying to improve their team to make a run. If this were a dynasty fantasy team then we would all probably start selling pieces but this is a real life team with the overall goal of winning a World Series. If they get in the playoffs they have just a good a chance as anyone. It’s baseball! 

Im not at all a Giants fan but I really disagree with some of the posts here. I can’t see any team selling off pieces if they are so close in the hunt. Internally, the organization views itself much higher than outsiders. They are going to try to go for it given they hold their position in the playoff race. 

On a side note, this IS the first yr of a single Trade deadline so it will be very interesting to see where some of the teams go from here. Big decisions to be made!

I think most Giants fans know what this team is. Riots aren’t happening if Bum goes elsewhere. If anything, it will bump off what’s left of the bandwagon. 

We need to be factual about what’s going on here anyway. The Giants are hitting the snot out of the ball and scoring runs. I’m not sure MadBum even matters in this scenario. 

Edited by Stickfig13
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, LoGo said:

Broken record here, but please revisit the 2018 Pittsburgh Pirates July and report back. 

Teams get hot, doesn't mean they are contenders. SFG would get boatraced in a series against Chc, Lad, Atl - assuming they could even get by Was, Phi, Stl, Mil in the WC game. 

Holy blue moon! I totally understand hot and cold streaks. I'm not making a claim the Giants will win the World Series. I even said so in my post (might not be World Champs, but it is impressive, regardless). I was trying to make the point what the Giants have done lately is very impressive, when you consider the talent they are putting on the field and the results. I feel like you're talking down to me, as in, I don't know MLB a single little bit. I'm not taking it personal, but many people in these forums will take one sentence out of a post attack it up and down and forget the rest of the post. I do understand it is not always easy trying to communicate in a message board forum/s. 

If you got out of my post I think the Giants will win it all,  I didn't write my post properly, or making my point wasn't very good.

4 hours ago, Sternes said:

You guys needed to be talking about the Tigers.  We are in the cellar and this is the only time anyone is going to talk about us this season. All you .500 teams debating selling or buying.  WE ARE SELLING!

tumblr_osi55xlL941r59rp1o7_r3_250.gif

Alex Avilia and his newly given extension are on notice.  

14 hours ago, Z06vette said:

Holy blue moon! I totally understand hot and cold streaks. I'm not making a claim the Giants will win the World Series. I even said so in my post (might not be World Champs, but it is impressive, regardless). I was trying to make the point what the Giants have done lately is very impressive, when you consider the talent they are putting on the field and the results. I feel like you're talking down to me, as in, I don't know MLB a single little bit. I'm not taking it personal, but many people in these forums will take one sentence out of a post attack it up and down and forget the rest of the post. I do understand it is not always easy trying to communicate in a message board forum/s. 

If you got out of my post I think the Giants will win it all,  I didn't write my post properly, or making my point wasn't very good.

Wasn't my intention, just quoted yours because it was there but plenty of discussion about the topic. I was trying to illustrate that less than sensational teams have gotten hot in July before and bought instead of sold. SFG should be selling if the right offer comes along. 

As hot as they are now, they were very cold earlier in the season. Recency bias kills teams. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, LoGo said:

Wasn't my intention, just quoted yours because it was there but plenty of discussion about the topic. I was trying to illustrate that less than sensational teams have gotten hot in July before and bought instead of sold. SFG should be selling if the right offer comes along. 

As hot as they are now, they were very cold earlier in the season. Recency bias kills teams. 

Fair enough. I can't disagree. Have to think *most* have a price. Some offers are too good to refuse, and maybe that happens with the Giants.

Edited by Z06vette

On 7/23/2019 at 1:43 PM, LoGo said:

Please please please please please have a great start tomorrow Jordan Lyles. 

Awful

• Haha 4

If the Jays move both Giles and Hudson, I’d think Phelps might be a nice pickup for possible saves. 

3 hours ago, pduce242424 said:

If the Jays move both Giles and Hudson, I’d think Phelps might be a nice pickup for possible saves. 

I've heard Toronto radio guys talking about Giles, Hudson AND Phelps all being moved. I think that means that Biagini would be next in line, and he's been having a pretty solid year.

Gotta wonder what the Snell injury does for Tampa. They have McKay but this puts more stress on the remaining arms and as of right now they'd miss out on a wild card game. They needed bats and now they could use another arm.

10 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Gotta wonder what the Snell injury does for Tampa. They have McKay but this puts more stress on the remaining arms and as of right now they'd miss out on a wild card game. They needed bats and now they could use another arm.

Excellent question.  My guess is they won't be buyers.  Probably be realistic that 2019 is a lost season.  

Depends also what additional information they have on Snell.

30 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Luciano time! Just kidding...a man can dream.

Avila will want one of Bart, Ramos or Luciano surely in any Boyd deal.  Luciano is 3-4 years off still, still only 17 yrs old until September. 

boyd in SF would be a plus 

2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Buyers?  Well then,  buy Puig.

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Luciano time! Just kidding...a man can dream.

That'd be a horrible mistake. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Buyers?  Well then,  buy Puig.

No thank you, let him stay at GABP

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

It really really really depends on how serious this Snell injury is.   He's your franchise arm.

With the info we have here?   Shut him down and trade Morton for a ton.

35 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

It really really really depends on how serious this Snell injury is.   He's your franchise arm.

With the info we have here?   Shut him down and trade Morton for a ton.

Morton has a pretty decent contract, and has seen a nice late career surge, I am not sure I would trade him, and just prep as a solid no 2 next year

14 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Morton has a pretty decent contract, and has seen a nice late career surge, I am not sure I would trade him, and just prep as a solid no 2 next year

Yeah I agree. Rays may be falling out of it this year but they're not not far off either.  Plus Glasnow and Snell are both probably going to be babied next year. They'll need a reliable starter pretty bad.

As always if they get blown away by an offer, obviously different issue.

The stros would be interesting.

This is a really weird comp but Robbie Ray reminds me of a left-handed, starting pitcher version of.... Ryan Pressly. 

14 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

The stros would be interesting.

This is a really weird comp but Robbie Ray reminds me of a left-handed, starting pitcher version of.... Ryan Pressly. 

Except for the HUGE difference that one rarely walks of gives up hits and the other is a WHIP killer..lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Except for the HUGE difference that one rarely walks of gives up hits and the other is a WHIP killer..lol

Pressly had a bb/9 of nearly 4 last season before being traded to the Astros. I wonder if they could help Ray solve his walk problem. 

I admit its a weird comp but i see some similarities

• Like 1