2ndCitySox

2019 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

So is this the complete story with this trade now because I thought it was SD who was the one really hot for Bauer.  So when I heard 3-team deal I assumed Cincy was being the middleman to get Bauer to the Padres in return for some really nice prospects.

I’m banking on SD making another move. I agree it feels off. Acquiring more fire power, I wonder if they flip Urias and/or Trammell or whoever and go get Syndergaard. Just a wild guess.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Donniebaseball23 said:

So the only top line pitcher to be traded, goes from a contender to a non contender 

perfect sense 

Well the only 2 "name" starters traded so far BOTH go to non-contenders.  Stroman to Mets.  Bauers to Reds.  Loving it.

16 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I’m banking on SD making another move. I agree it feels off. Acquiring more fire power, I wonder if they flip Urias and/or Trammell or whoever and go get Syndergaard. Just a wild guess.

I agree...As a Padre fan, I am hoping that this move for Trammell, is part of a larger plan to acquire a front line/Ace starter. Thor’s price tag is a little rich for my blood. Was hoping Boyd would cost less and be the guy we get but I think Detroit wants as much or possibly more than the Mets want for Thor. Boyd’s team friendly contract and is controlled through 2022, so I’m sure the Tigers want the moon & the stars for him. 

• Like 1

I am just shaking my head, trading a 50 homer guy and a top 100 SP for a top 30 prospect, who has done nothing yet in the minors, and profiles as a light hitting left fielder

I mean I fully trust AJ and all, but this one

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Unoslacker said:

I agree...As a Padre fan, I am hoping that this move for Trammell, is part of a larger plan to acquire a front line/Ace starter. Thor’s price tag is a little rich for my blood. Was hoping Boyd would cost less and be the guy we get but I think Detroit wants as much or possibly more than the Mets want for Thor. Boyd’s team friendly contract and is controlled through 2022, so I’m sure the Tigers want the moon & the stars for him. 

problem is though that Boyd just isnt that good, control yippee, in 2021 I dont even know if Boyd would be able to be more than a 5th starter for the Padres

I truly think a rotation of

Gore, Paddack, Quantrill, Patino, Morejon, is going to be set and forget, and that leaves out Lamet, Lucchessi, and Lauer

Edited by Golden Spikes

3 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

problem is though that Boyd just isnt that good, control yippee, in 2021 I dont even know if Boyd would be able to be more than a 5th starter for the Padres

Gore, Paddack, Quantrill, Patino, Morejon, is going to be set and forget, and that leaves out Lamet, Lucchessi, and Lauer

Quantrill seems like trade bait to me. I think Lamet and Lucchesi will be rotation pieces but agree with the overall point: Padres should only be looking for a top flight ace. I do not think Thor is that guy and I know Boyd isn't

7 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

Quantrill seems like trade bait to me. I think Lamet and Lucchesi will be rotation pieces but agree with the overall point: Padres should only be looking for a top flight ace. I do not think Thor is that guy and I know Boyd isn't

I really have a hard time wrapping my head around why there are so many non-believers in regards to Boyd.

Surprise breakout players pop up every single season.... why is Boyd so easily written off as not one of these players?  Why is he not a Whit Merrifield  / Kirby Yates “where the hell did this guy come from” type of breakout player?  

Everything he has done this year is supported by elite underlying metrics / hes not due for major regression due to be lucky to date .  We all can agree that he’s not worth a Torres level young star in return / the level of return that Avila is reportedly asking for...... but the bottom line is Matt Boyd has been extremely good this year and has a very high fair market value.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, afgolfman666 said:

I really have a hard time wrapping my head around why there are so many non-believers in regards to Boyd.

Surprise breakout players pop up every single season.... why is Boyd so easily written off as not one of these players?  Why is he not a Whit Merrifield  / Kirby Yates “where the hell did this guy come from” type of breakout player?  

Everything he has done this year is supported by elite underlying metrics / hes not due for major regression due to be lucky to date .  We all can agree that he’s not worth a Torres level young star in return / the level of return that Avila is reportedly asking for...... but the bottom line is Matt Boyd has been extremely good this year and has a very high fair market value.

Because he has a ERA near 4, a lifetime ERA near 5 (4.8), pitches half his games in Comerica National Park, has never been an elite pitcher before and has a horrible road ERA this year.  Add in that a rebuilding team talks about unloading a pitcher with a numbers of years of control left and you have to think even Detroit management does not believe he is that great and is selling while the market and Boyd are at highs.  Nothing is certain when evaluating talent (esp. pitching), but I would want no part of him esp. in Yankees Stadium in the AL East.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, afgolfman666 said:

I do not think he is bad at all but my words were more geared to what the Padres need (an front line ace) and how I don't think Boyd is it. Regarding your comparisons, I am much more open to believing in a hitter breaking out late in their careers than a pitcher, especially one with Whit Merrifield's style of play. As for Yates, his breakout 100% comes to adding his splitter. Without that pitch, he goes from an elite closer back to a journeyman reliever. Have not seen that Boyd added anything new to his arsenal in the offseason. Mostly, I just see him worth nowhere near the Tigers demands or as a fit for the Padres. Makes sense for a team like the Astros who is looking for a number 3 and some insurance in case Cole leaves (though who knows: Tigers may ask for Bregman and Yordan or something)

2 hours ago, mocha4313 said:

I do not think he is bad at all but my words were more geared to what the Padres need (an front line ace) and how I don't think Boyd is it. Regarding your comparisons, I am much more open to believing in a hitter breaking out late in their careers than a pitcher, especially one with Whit Merrifield's style of play. As for Yates, his breakout 100% comes to adding his splitter. Without that pitch, he goes from an elite closer back to a journeyman reliever. Have not seen that Boyd added anything new to his arsenal in the offseason. Mostly, I just see him worth nowhere near the Tigers demands or as a fit for the Padres. Makes sense for a team like the Astros who is looking for a number 3 and some insurance in case Cole leaves (though who knows: Tigers may ask for Bregman and Yordan or something)

Actually he's become more slider heavy this year.   And if he gets feel for his change up back look out. 

Boyd would be an excellent #3 for SD.  He's past the injury nexus phase of his career, can actually go 7, and still has upside.  The Padres #1 is Gore and their #2 is Paddack.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

I am just shaking my head, trading a 50 homer guy and a top 100 SP for a top 30 prospect, who has done nothing yet in the minors, and profiles as a light hitting left fielder

I mean I fully trust AJ and all, but this one

I hope he's adding ammo to get Boyd.   I don't love Trammell either but Allen is beyond meh.  Losing Franmil hurts but he and Renfroe are redundant except Renfroe is a vastly better fielder (Reyes has way more offensively upside though).  Reyes really should be a DH most of the time unless he goes crazy this off-season increasing his athleticism.  Still,  he was a great clubhouse guy and a beloved player.   Sucks to see him go. 

Edited by 96mnc
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

Yeah, Padres will probably be the first team ever to have all their prospects come up and pan out. No busts at all. Makes sense. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Now that the Padres, Mets, and Reds have bought maybe some other contenders can pick up a few pieces today 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Now that the Padres, Mets, and Reds have bought maybe some other contenders can pick up a few pieces today 

Table has been set for Houston to ship Cole 🤣

If Houston doesn't want to move Tucker than I think Thor and Boyd are off the table.  Wheeler to Houston would make sense.  I think Yates will be moved because this time next year SD could be a playoff team and then can't move him and they likely don't want to pay him as a elite closer when he hits UFA either.  Sell high on him now for controllable pieces. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Happy Deadline Day! Let’s hope GMs everywhere are coming off their unrealistic prices and/or holding of prospects and making this phone call today 

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Still waiting on Wheeler to HOU

Still waiting on Yates/Smith to ATL/BOS

Still waiting on Syndergard to NYY

Still waiting for 11PM

Edited by dkrocka

4 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

Still waiting on Wheeler to HOU

Still waiting on Yates/Smith to ATL/BOS

Still waiting for 11PM

Trade deadline is 4pm ET, right? What's 11pm?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

You have a better chance of winning the Powerball than of the Mets trading Syndergaard to the Yankees imo.

Right now, if I had to guess, the Yanks are looking at Robbie Ray and Bradley of Arizona in some sort of deal involving Clint Frazier, but that is only a guess on my part.  There really is no other place to go for a starter unless the Giants become sellers at the last minute.  If the D'backs would eat a decent part of Greinke's deal, I could see them pursuing that also, but that is not likely as Greinke is owed so much money and has a no trade clause he likely would not waive for NY imo.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

Trade deadline is 4pm ET, right? What's 11pm?

Eastern European time.

Edited by Max Rockatansky
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Teams with day games that could see players traded between innings -

Atlanta vs Washington

Pittsburgh vs Cincy

Arizona vs NYY

Toronto vs KC

Dodgers vs Rox

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Teams with day games that could see players traded between innings -

Atlanta vs Washington

Pittsburgh vs Cincy

Arizona vs NYY

Toronto vs KC

Dodgers vs Rox

Having Puig get involved in a scuffle last night, when he wasn't really even on the team anymore, got me thinking. 

What are people's thoughts on not starting games on the day of the deadline until after the deadline passes? So today, its 4EST or whatever. No one can start until 5:00, which would likely be 7:00 anyway. 

Kind of like having all teams start game 162 at the same time? 

Probably a bit difficult to do, especially with a situation like this year where it falls on a getaway day, but seems logical to me.