2ndCitySox

2019 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

3 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Yeah, Padres will probably be the first team ever to have all their prospects come up and pan out. No busts at all. Makes sense. 

they might not, which is why I listed 8 guys in the first place, 5 of which have already shown to be solid+ major leaguers

then there are free agents, and surprise minor leaguers (Pedro Avila) for example, or other guys they can trade for

I just dont see why they would add a potential no 3 in Boyd, an ACE sure (which Thor isnt either)

1 hour ago, osb_tensor said:

Trade deadline is 4pm ET, right? What's 11pm?

drinkin time

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Having Puig get involved in a scuffle last night, when he wasn't really even on the team anymore, got me thinking. 

What are people's thoughts on not starting games on the day of the deadline until after the deadline passes? So today, its 4EST or whatever. No one can start until 5:00, which would likely be 7:00 anyway. 

Kind of like having all teams start game 162 at the same time? 

Probably a bit difficult to do, especially with a situation like this year where it falls on a getaway day, but seems logical to me. 

knowing the white sox luck, they'd trade for a pitcher, mid-pitch, as he was blowing out his elbow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Golden Spikes said:

they might not, which is why I listed 8 guys in the first place, 5 of which have already shown to be solid+ major leaguers

then there are free agents, and surprise minor leaguers (Pedro Avila) for example, or other guys they can trade for

I just dont see why they would add a potential no 3 in Boyd, an ACE sure (which Thor isnt either)

Have you not paid attention to state of pitching in the jucied ball era? You are way too optimistic those padre pitching prospects wont get slaughtered like lambs when they crack the majors. Its always been a process for pitching prospects to turn themselves into useful MLB pitchers. That is only talking of the guys that do make and not the countless pitching prospects that fail.

Why bother signing Manny if your are going to wait years on pitchers figuring things out? Boyd is ready now, is an above average SP who has years of control.

• Like 1

It's almost noon and my feed is quiet...

Image result for cookie monster waiting gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I thought with the whole "waiver trade deadline" thing being gone the actual trade deadline would be super hot this year.  Boy was I wrong.

Edited by cizastro

No more Thor, Stroman, Bauer, or Boyd. Looks like the 8 contending teams looking for starting pitching are suddenly stuck in a bidding war for Mike Leake.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

No more Thor, Stroman, Bauer, or Boyd. Looks like the 8 contending teams looking for starting pitching are suddenly stuck in a bidding war for Mike Leake.

I wouldn’t say that Boyd is unavailable now.... the price is just very high

10 minutes ago, cizastro said:

I thought with the whole "waiver trade deadline" thing being gone the actual trade deadline would be super hot this year.  Boy was I wrong.

I'm in the same boat, but makes sense that the first year would be a calibration/benchmark year. Sellers are likely asking for too much, buyers are balking at the prices, and here we are. Maybe if this season does set the bar, GMs will know what they're up against in the years to come. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

12 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Wheeler is still available as well. 

2 minutes ago, LoGo said:

I'm in the same boat, but makes sense that the first year would be a calibration/benchmark year. Sellers are likely asking for too much, buyers are balking at the prices, and here we are. Maybe if this season does set the bar, GMs will know what they're up against in the years to come. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Rentals don't have much trade value and too many teams are still in contention. So they will just ride it out.

1 hour ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

What are people's thoughts on not starting games on the day of the deadline until after the deadline passes? So today, its 4EST or whatever. No one can start until 5:00, which would likely be 7:00 anyway. 

Kind of like having all teams start game 162 at the same time? 

Probably a bit difficult to do, especially with a situation like this year where it falls on a getaway day, but seems logical to me. 

A million times no! 

One of the most fun things in baseball is to see a player suddenly being summoned off the field in the middle of a game and getting hugs in the dugout.  The internet then lights up and people rush to post to where he is going and what it all means and things have a bit of an electric feel to them.  We need more electricity in baseball; not less.

Seems Wheeler is the main SP contenders will have the option to trade for at a reasonable price

Speaking for the White Sox, Ivan Nova is available for anyone who wants him.  Make an offer!   

Attention: Yankees.  It’s time to bring your favorite son home. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I have a hot take... the Yankees WS fate is being decided in next 4 hours. Because if they go into the playoffs with that slop of a rotation, they will get bounced.

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

A million times no! 

One of the most fun things in baseball is to see a player suddenly being summoned off the field in the middle of a game and getting hugs in the dugout.  The internet then lights up and people rush to post to where he is going and what it all means and things have a bit of an electric feel to them.  We need more electricity in baseball; not less.

You're only removing this from the equation on the deadline day itself. You wouldn't have been deprived of watching grown men embrace, NTTIAWT, ala Eric Sogard the other day. 

18 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Speaking for the White Sox, Ivan Nova is available for anyone who wants him.  Make an offer!   

Attention: Yankees.  It’s time to bring your favorite son home. 

They got rid of Nate Jones somehow. 

11 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

problem is though that Boyd just isnt that good, control yippee, in 2021 I dont even know if Boyd would be able to be more than a 5th starter for the Padres

I truly think a rotation of

Gore, Paddack, Quantrill, Patino, Morejon, is going to be set and forget, and that leaves out Lamet, Lucchessi, and Lauer

As someone whose nl dynasty has the first 4 you listed, I hope you are right.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Ham Porter said:

I still think Bumgarner ends up somewhere else by the end of the day. 🤞

I could see him in Houston.  Or the Dodgers. 

I think Houston trades for a rental when it's all said and done so they can keep Tucker.

Houston - Wheeler

Dodgers - Bumgarner

Edited by Baseball Jonze

Mariners have a better shot at making the playoffs than the Giants and Dodgers making a trade together.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1