2ndCitySox

2019 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Halo Fan said:

According to MLBTR, Dodger, Braves, and Rays all interested in Boyd.

 

Padres, Astros, and red Sox, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Halo Fan said:

Per Rotoworld:

07.11: According to MLB.com's Jon Morosi, the Cardinals are "poised to pursue" Will Smith at the trade deadline. 

(Per Morosi, the Cardinals were involved in "serious discussions" for Smith during the offseason and figure to have renewed interest in the left-hander leading up to the July 31 deadline. Carlos Martinez has filled in seamlessly at closer for Jordan Hicks, who was lost to Tommy John surgery, but St. Louis could certainly use another left-hander to bolster its pen. Smith, who has converted all 23 of his save chances this year, figures to be among the most coveted relievers available at the trade deadline.)

 

I think it's more likely Watson ends up there than Smith.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

 

I can't see why the Tigers would want Renfroe, who will be 28 to start next season.

This reason was given: However, the sides could find common ground on a proposal that sends a Major League position player from San Diego to Detroit as part of the deal. Hunter Renfroe or Franmil Reyes, both of whom are under control for longer than Boyd, would address the lack of power among the Tigers’ projected outfielders for 2020 and beyond.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dfstout said:

This reason was given: However, the sides could find common ground on a proposal that sends a Major League position player from San Diego to Detroit as part of the deal. Hunter Renfroe or Franmil Reyes, both of whom are under control for longer than Boyd, would address the lack of power among the Tigers’ projected outfielders for 2020 and beyond.

 

No, I get that he brings power, has a good arm & more years of control but I don't see how he will help their rebuild more than keeping Boyd would because of his age.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Detroit wants a power bat behind Miggy Cabrera, to offer up some protection.  Renfroe makes sense, but I think given his age that there would need to be a top 10 prospect type coming as well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Detroit wants a power bat behind Miggy Cabrera, to offer up some protection.  Renfroe makes sense, but I think given his age that there would need to be a top 10 prospect type coming as well.  

 

I'm not sold that the reason they want a power bat is to protect Miggy in any way.  He's a shell of who he was. 

They need a power bat because they don't have any on the team.  But, I don't see dealing for Renfroe as the right play for them given where they are at in their rebuild...it just doesn't make sense. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Detroit wants a power bat behind Miggy Cabrera, to offer up some protection.  Renfroe makes sense, but I think given his age that there would need to be a top 10 prospect type coming as well.  

 

NOBODY is pitching around miggy anymore..the stats don’t lie

father time wins all battles 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, pduce242424 said:

 

I'm not sold that the reason they want a power bat is to protect Miggy in any way.  He's a shell of who he was. 

They need a power bat because they don't have any on the team.  But, I don't see dealing for Renfroe as the right play for them given where they are at in their rebuild...it just doesn't make sense. 

 

29 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

 

NOBODY is pitching around miggy anymore..the stats don’t lie

father time wins all battles 

 

He's also owed $154M through the 2023 season and ain't going anywhere so they need to try and make it work.  He's been complaining about not seeing any pitches because there is nobody behind him.  The Tigs should see if that is the case.  They better hope it is. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

 

 

He's also owed $154M through the 2023 season and ain't going anywhere so they need to try and make it work.  He's been complaining about not seeing any pitches because there is nobody behind him.  The Tigs should see if that is the case.  They better hope it is. 

It's a bad contract now...there is no way to make that work.  I think you keep him rostered so long as he doesn't block any young talented players.  Given that they have the DH available, they can park him there for the remainder of the deal, if he can make it that long. 

He's not going to admit that he's not that good anymore.  I don't think many professional athletes have that in their DNA.  I think you compile the problem by trying to cater to an older player who has lost a lot of his skillset, because then you're ignoring the facts that show that he's declining.  The answer is to make him adjust, whether that's moving full time to DH, or hitting lower in the lineup, or playing part time, or trading him for pennies on the dollar while paying the majority of his salary. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boyd isn’t a kid either . 28 and will be 29 just before the start of ST 2020

That would make him 31 before the start of his last year of control . Still young enough to get a big contract if he has three good seasons . I think the days of throwing big money at players is over in Detroit . They still have Zimmerman along with Cabrera they are on the hook for . It wasn’t that long ago they stopped paying Easily and Sheffield and how long have they been gone? 

I agree with what somebody said about Trout out performing his contract. SD and Philly are going  to get stuck bigly .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, motown magic said:

Boyd isn’t a kid either . 28 and will be 29 just before the start of ST 2020

That would make him 31 before the start of his last year of control . Still young enough to get a big contract if he has three good seasons . I think the days of throwing big money at players is over in Detroit . They still have Zimmerman along with Cabrera they are on the hook for . It wasn’t that long ago they stopped paying Easily and Sheffield and how long have they been gone? 

I agree with what somebody said about Trout out performing his contract. SD and Philly are going  to get stuck bigly .

disagree with SD, Philly for sure, they gave him a 13 year no out contract

Manny is a 10 year that puts him at 35 with an opt out at 30, he should be able to remain a 5 WAR player until hes at least 32

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

honestly if the brewers don't trade for a good pitcher, they deserve to miss the playoffs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First starter to be traded:

Quote

Red Sox acquired RHP Andrew Cashner from the Orioles for OF Elio Prado and INF Noelberth Romero.

Cashner has enjoyed a rebirth this season, posting a 3.83 ERA and 1.19 WHIP over 96 1/3 innings while earning nine wins on a bad Orioles team, and he'll now try to carry that over to Boston. The 32-year-old right-hander doesn't generate many strikeouts, which limits his fantasy appeal, but he should get a slight boost with the move to a contending team. He's owed around $5 million through the end of this season and carries a $10 million club option for 2020. Prado and Romero are both 17-year-old prospects.

Source: Roch Kubatko on TwitterJul 13, 2019, 5:34 PM ET

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like the Red Sox are out on Boyd now. They didn't have enough in the system to get him anyway . This is a low risk trade for them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kramjam24 said:

Anyone think the mets and Astros could do a Syndergaard for tucker trade?

I do not, Mets don't need OF help, (Correct me if I am wrong) plus I believe they would want more than Tucker,

I know if I was the GM for the Mets, I would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Topgun said:

I do not, Mets don't need OF help, (Correct me if I am wrong) plus I believe they would want more than Tucker,

I know if I was the GM for the Mets, I would.

Conforto, Dom Smith, McNeil, Nimmo at some point.  Yeah they probably don’t.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Topgun said:

I do not, Mets don't need OF help, (Correct me if I am wrong) plus I believe they would want more than Tucker,

I know if I was the GM for the Mets, I would.

Conforto is the best one and he's been ok, not turning into the offensive stud the Mets thought he would be.  Nimmo sucks and should've been move with Rosario for Realmuto but that's another rant.  Smith, McNeil, and JD Davis aren't outfielders.  They only play there because they can hit and there's no room in the infield (well there is but Rosario Fraizer and Cano play everyday for some reason).  Lagares can't hit and Cespedes is in the witness protection program so the Mets could definitely use outfield help especially a stud like Tucker.  I would love if they make that trade but BVW will probably trade Synergaard for a closer or someone signed with CAA.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Conforto, Dom Smith, McNeil, Nimmo at some point.  Yeah they probably don’t.

Id do Noah for Tucker in a second.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Slatykamora said:

Id do Noah for Tucker in a second.

I would too.  I think Houston could fix Noah.  Guess you worry about log jam later.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I would too.  I think Houston could fix Noah.  Guess you worry about log jam later.  

I don’t think there’s anything in Lunhow’s history of moves to suggest he’d move a guy like Tucker and I also don’t think BVW would accept anything less than Tucker + or he’d be in danger of being run out of town. Though I’d love to see Thor adopt the Astros philosophy of high spin rate four seamers and pitch tunneling while ditching the sinker. I can just imagine how many calls BVW is getting right now by GM’s wanting to be the next in line to fleece him. It’s like the days of Dave Stewart or Ruben Amaro Jr all over again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meghan Montemurro, The Athletic: Amid another ugly fall, a grim question: Should the Phillies be sellers?

Quote

The trade deadline is 18 days away. It’s getting to the point where it’s worth asking: Should the Phillies be sellers?

Team president Andy MacPhail acknowledged Friday afternoon this group is not one player or trade away from being legitimate World Series title contenders. But have the Phillies shown enough in the past six weeks to suggest even marginal upgrades should be considered? There is no doubt the team has talent. This group has players who have earned All-Star appearances and won annual awards, and youngsters with real potential. [...]


What would the Phillies, a team that added roughly $470 million in guaranteed contracts this past offseason, look like as sellers? Breaking apart the core of talented position players they’ve amassed in the past few months would present challenges and send the organization back on the path toward another rebuild. Instead, there are three obvious candidates to move: reliever Tommy Hunter, left fielder Jay Bruce and

third baseman Maikel Franco. Collectively, they could help the Phillies net some prospect value, while opening up more opportunities for players such as Haseley. (Update: The Phillies put Hunter on the injured list Sunday morning with a forearm strain, the same injury that forced him to miss the first three months of the season.)

 

So, three "obvious" trade candidates becomes two with the Hunter injury.  Franco has been nearly worthless for most of the season except for a brief run at the beginning.  Bruce is fine, but also exactly the kind of guy the team needs if they want to make a run next year.  And given how little the Phillies gave up for him, what do they think they'd get for him at the deadline?

The team is simply stuck right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.