2ndCitySox

2019 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

Posted (edited)
On 7/19/2019 at 3:16 PM, Golden Spikes said:

problem is, most pitchers are on WC teams at least, hell even Bumgarner and the Giants might not be sellers

Who isn't in the "Wild Card Hunt" in the NL?  Only the Mets, Reds, and Marlins are more than 5.5 games out. Cards, Phillies, DBacks, Giants all 2.5 games or less.

The Giants, and any of these WC chasing teams, are foolish if they trade legitimate assets for short-term help to get a 1-game playoff where anything can happen.

Edited by sportsfreak2744
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Why?

According to Jon Morosi of MLB.com, the Rays have "inquired" on the availability of Hunter Pence.

Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio was the first to mention Tampa Bay's interest in Pence, who has posted an impressive .290/.349/.581 batting line with 15 home runs and 48 RBI over 60 games this season for the Rangers. The 36-year-old is set to become a free agent in November and Texas has quickly fallen out of contention, so it seems likely that he is moved before the July 31 trade deadline.

Source: Jon Morosi on Twitter    Jul 22, 2019, 3:30 PM ET

Again, why?  Pssst, Rays.  You have like a zillion decent hitters now trying to find ABs even with Kiermaier going on the IL.  You don't need Old Guy too.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Why?

Again, why?  Pssst, Rays.  You have like a zillion decent hitters now trying to find ABs even with Kiermaier going on the IL.  You don't need Old Guy too.

I know this Makes 0 sense. It make More sense if they tried to make a trade with SD to get Wil Meyers back.And Yes your right they already got guys who need ABs 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

i could see the "seasoned vet for the stretch run" angle

Plus it always depends on the price. If you can get a good hitter for almost free, why not? Figure out the rest later.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

i could see the "seasoned vet for the stretch run" angle

Just letting you know I "laughed" at this because it is such a tired and extremely and silly trope in baseball.  Not at you quoting it. 

9 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Most boring deadline since 1994 when we didn’t have one 

So far...

Teams are being cautious. New territory here without the waiver deadline. This is it. I’m expecting a flurry of deals in the last couple days. Just waiting for the first domino to fall. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Most boring deadline since 1994 when we didn’t have one 

It will go crazy in the last few days of July.  Selling teams are holding out to try and up the bidding price for their guys as contending teams get more and more antsy they will somehow miss out on some real or even imagined needed piece.

Then as the clock ticks down the sellers will get worried they might have held out too long and might be stuck with said player(s).

Last few hours it will be sellers and buyers playing chicken with each other.  That should be fun.

PS:  Also what Backdoor Slider said about the first domino.  That might start the panic attack a few days early even.

• Like 1

Even if there’s a flurry of action, who are the big names getting dealt?  Nick Castellanos and Michael Givens?  

All but 3 teams in the NL are in the playoff hunt. I can understand why those teams are waiting until the last minute to decide if they should buy or sell. That's holding up the market.

4 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Even if there’s a flurry of action, who are the big names getting dealt?  Nick Castellanos and Michael Givens?  

GMs don’t even know who are buyers and sellers yet. They don’t know if there are 3 closers available and 5 teams buying, or 5 closers available and just 3 buying. Teams will be deciding this coming weekend and that will shape the market. No one wants to overpay/get too little back today without knowing what the market is. There’s risk.

Closers and starting pitching. Like always. I’m sure you know the names. No, I don’t think any Machado or Verlander types are moving this summer. Greinke might be biggest name. But still could be big, particularly prospect capital on the move.

• Like 1

Yah I understand there’s going to be more action towards the deadline.  There always is.  I just don’t think it will be as much or as significant vs our expectations.  Teams waiting until the last minute hinder the market.  It’s tough to show up at the last minute and try to get a trade done. That doesn’t mean you can’t, but it’s more difficult.  At some point you have to s*** or get off the pot.

Outside of Bumgarner, there won’t be any big names dealt unless the Dbacks can find a sucker to take Greinkes contract . 

We’ll see.  I’ve been wrong before but I think it’ll be a dud. 

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

GMs don’t even know who are buyers and sellers yet. They don’t know if there are 3 closers available and 5 teams buying, or 5 closers available and just 3 buying. Teams will be deciding this coming weekend and that will shape the market. No one wants to overpay/get too little back today without knowing what the market is. There’s risk.

Closers and starting pitching. Like always. I’m sure you know the names. No, I don’t think any Machado or Verlander types are moving this summer. Greinke might be biggest name. But still could be big, particularly prospect capital on the move.

I think its a hard sell to your fan base if your 3 games out or less which about 12 teams in the NL are, to go ahead and sell your top players away and quit on this season. This is why I think Bauer and Hand are staying in Cleveland cause how do you explain to your fanbase why your not trying to win your division this yr.

3 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Yah I understand there’s going to be more action towards the deadline.  There always is.  I just don’t think it will be as much or as significant vs our expectations.  Teams waiting until the last minute hinder the market.  It’s tough to show up at the last minute and try to get a trade done. That doesn’t mean you can’t, but it’s more difficult.  At some point you have to s*** or get off the pot.

Outside of Bumgarner, there won’t be any big names dealt unless the Dbacks can find a sucker to take Greinkes contract . 

We’ll see.  I’ve been wrong before but I think it’ll be a dud. 

GMS for all teams are going to be burning up the phones wheeling and dealin all behind the scenes making trade proposals. 90 % of them the public may not even ever know about because the GMS keep all that stuff to themselves.

1 minute ago, Trexpenniebaker said:

I think its a hard sell to your fan base if your 3 games out or less which about 12 teams in the NL are, to go ahead and sell your top players away and quit on this season. This is why I think Bauer and Hand are staying in Cleveland cause how do you explain to your fanbase why your not trying to win your division this yr.

They let Brantley go without so much as a qualifying offer despite really needing the outfield help, they shopped their starters, and they've told the fans to "enjoy it while they can" about Lindor. I don't think the Cleveland franchise is particularly concerned with how the fanbase views their actions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

They let Brantley go without so much as a qualifying offer despite really needing the outfield help, they shopped their starters, and they've told the fans to "enjoy it while they can" about Lindor. I don't think the Cleveland franchise is particularly concerned with how the fanbase views their actions.

Cleveland fans are the most abused fans in sports

• Like 2

Dodgers honing in on anyone in particular? I mean, they HAVE to have their sight on a RP, right?????

18 minutes ago, lavaman said:

Dodgers honing in on anyone in particular? I mean, they HAVE to have their sight on a RP, right?????

I’ve heard some FVazquez, but because of cost I’ve also heard SGreene (and also Castellanos, apparently because he can hit lefties.

I’m kind of surprised they need pitching. Seems like a 4-man rotation of Buehler, Ryu, Kershaw, Maeda, then Stripling, Urias, and maybe RHill back to get you to Jensen? 🤷🏽‍♂️