PaddyAustralia

R.J Barrett 2019-2020 Fantasy Outlook

Posted (edited)

I think this kid is the best player in the draft tbh. He is versatile, can defend (when he wants to) has great form even though he needs to shoot it a bit better, but my favourite part of his game is that he is absolutely fearless. In 3 years time he has the potential to be leading the league in scoring, because this dude is a monster. He instantly becomes the best offensive option on the Knicks and will get the biggest green light to shoot as much as he wants. His efficiency and conditioning are a couple issues that come to mind when thinking about drafting him and i believe that himself (along with countless other talents from the draft) will be forgotten as everyone races to pick Zion as early as possible. He should fall in a lot of drafts but if you want him you will likely have to pick him in the 5th round or even earlier because everyone loves taking rookies too early in fantasy.

I predict his stats looking something like: 23.2 PTS, 6.2 RBS, 4.2 ASTS, 0.7 STLS, 0.2 BLCKS, 1.7 3s on 43 FG%, 79 FT% 32 3P% with 4.3 TO's a game.

He is not someone im drafting unless im punting fg% and TO's but i believe he has a real chance to be ROTY as he is a big timee player playing for a big time team!

Edited by PaddyAustralia
  • Confused 2

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, PaddyAustralia said:

I predict his stats looking something like: 23.2 PTS, 6.2 RBS, 4.2 ASTS, 

...playing for a big time team!

You had me until the end...well that and the expectation of a 23.3/6.2/4.2 popcorn stat line as a rookie playing alongside chuckers and ball-hogs like DSJ, Knox, and Mudiay...

Edited by Jake the snake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Jake the snake said:

You had me until the end...well that and the expectation of a 23.3/6.2/4.2 popcorn stat line as a rookie playing alongside chuckers and ball-hogs like DSJ, Knox, and Mudiay...

Yikes, my bad i meant big time city haha. But the popcorn stats aren't that unrealistic, Barrett will run the offence and he loves his drives and pull up shots so i see him taking the bulk of the shots for NYK. I see what you mean by him being surrounded by chuckers and ball hogs but hey if Fizdale lets those ball hogs fire away, fire Fizdale in my opinion, this has just become R.J's tream.

Update: Cant edit original post again for some reason, but i meant to say "big time city", i stand by my stats prediction.

Edited by PaddyAustralia

4 hours ago, PaddyAustralia said:

Yikes, my bad i meant big time city haha. But the popcorn stats aren't that unrealistic, Barrett will run the offence and he loves his drives and pull up shots so i see him taking the bulk of the shots for NYK. I see what you mean by him being surrounded by chuckers and ball hogs but hey if Fizdale lets those ball hogs fire away, fire Fizdale in my opinion, this has just become R.J's tream.

Update: Cant edit original post again for some reason, but i meant to say "big time city", i stand by my stats prediction.

Do you know how many dudes have averaged 23 points a game as a rookie in the modern era? It's like two or three guys. He's a rookie guard and his shot will be too inconsistent. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

Do you know how many dudes have averaged 23 points a game as a rookie in the modern era? It's like two or three guys. He's a rookie guard and his shot will be too inconsistent. 

Make it 4 after R.J does at the end of next season.

5 hours ago, PaddyAustralia said:

Make it 4 after R.J does at the end of next season.

Maybe. Highly doubtful though.

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2019 at 4:28 AM, PaddyAustralia said:

I predict his stats looking something like: 23.2 PTS, 6.2 RBS, 4.2 ASTS

Huh??

• Like 6

OP clearly on drugs for this one.

Bad shooting numbers across the board with low stock potential.

Wish Barrett all the luck in the world but he's going to need to make a ton of strides to become a valuable fantasy commodity.

• Like 4

I predict his stats looking something like: 23.2 PTS, 6.2 RBS, 4.2 ASTS, 0.7 STLS, 0.2 BLCKS, 1.7 3s on 43 FG%, 79 FT% 32 3P% with 4.3 TO's a game.

...in 3 years. FTFY

Also pretty pointless trying to predict what someone like him will do until things shake out in FA. Even if the Knicks strike out, which I fully expect them to, they're going to at the very least bring in a few bigger name guys who will, in all likelihood, steal usage and opportunity away from RJ.

On 6/24/2019 at 4:28 AM, PaddyAustralia said:

I want what you’re smoking 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Feel like the Knicks (Fiz) may do the same thing to Barrett as they did to Knox (Learn how to play off the ball first, good shot/bad shot). It’s worked out for both Knox and MRob who steadily improved throughout the course of the season.

Fiz straight up benched Marc Gasol back then, so he won’t likely tolerate RJ just chucking or consistently spacing out on D.

Not sure what to expect but mid teen scoring with poor-average efficiency categories are the mark of most young wings. Mudiay, Burke and Nti as your point guards won’t help him either. Will let somebody else gamble on him this season

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikhov said:

Feel like the Knicks (Fiz) may do the same thing to Barrett as they did to Knox (Learn how to play off the ball first, good shot/bad shot). It’s worked out for both Knox and MRob who steadily improved throughout the course of the season.

Fiz straight up benched Marc Gasol back then, so he won’t likely tolerate RJ just chucking or consistently spacing out on D.

Not sure what to expect but mid teen scoring with poor-average efficiency categories are the mark of most young wings. Mudiay, Burke and Nti as your point guards won’t help him either. Will let somebody else gamble on him this season

Yeah not a bad shout at all my man. I hope they don't and they let him loose early but discipline him throughout the year. He is a star in the making with the right coaching staff and support group around him. He probably does end up with terrible numbers throughout the course but im a optimist and RJ is my favourite player from the draft, so i may have been a bit too nice to him in my predictions haha.

Oh well ball is literally in his court now to turn around this knicks team (who also had a terrible start to free agency today) and bring back showtime to the big apple haha

• Like 1

Coming from a realistic Knicks fan, RJ will never be a superstar. He will be good, maybe a guy whos always a borderline all star snub, but never will he be a superstar. I dont envision him ever scoring 23 a game at any point in his career. I also expect him to put up 15, 5, 4 with horrific efficiency as a rookie.

• Like 1

He looks really bad, 7-33 fga, 10 turnovers in 2 games. I know it´s summer league and we shouldn´t base our predictions and expectations on that but damn he´s struggling

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GmGodine said:

He looks really bad, 7-33 fga, 10 turnovers in 2 games. I know it´s summer league and we shouldn´t base our predictions and expectations on that but damn he´s struggling

IM not gonna lie, my prediction could at this stage be like comparing lin to curry haha, hope he can turn it around though.

He's making great moves to the basket, but not finishing with the contact and is missing his threes. He's on my DND list, maybe a last two round pick in my 9 cat H2H league. Hard pass in my roto league though.

I think he'll be a good player but he clearly needs time to develop. He looks way less explosive on the NBA floor than he did in college and HS. Shows the competition improvement at this level and these aren't even the best of the best.

There's gonna be a lot of sophomores that go under the radar because they don't have the hype factor that these rookies have. Draft them instead.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2019 at 10:34 PM, Mikhov said:

Kevin Knox never improved last year. I'm not sure what you are talking about here. 

This thread is outstanding. Bizarrely irrational confidence from OP, OP getting dunked on by reality, and it's gonna be the first thing people see when they look at this outlook all year when Barrett falls JUST A SMIDGE short of those projections. I do think he can get to 4.3 TOs, though, maybe.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2019 at 7:38 AM, terribleswedes said:

This thread is outstanding. Bizarrely irrational confidence from OP, OP getting dunked on by reality, and it's gonna be the first thing people see when they look at this outlook all year when Barrett falls JUST A SMIDGE short of those projections. I do think he can get to 4.3 TOs, though, maybe.

I mean i agree that it's a lot of confidence but it isn't irrational. Even though it was summer league his last 2 games he looked like a stud and played a hell of a lot better than he originally did. If he could get his efficiency into the 42 FG%, 73FT% and 30+ 3P% he could definitely be averaging somewhere close to what i predicted. But at the same time, i was a bit hyped about this kid and may have been a bit generous to his points and assists. Even though knicks signed a bunch of players that need the ball in their hands, he did promise RJ that he would get all his shots that he wants and that he also wants him to run the offence at times, so the ball will be in his hands. Sure 23 points could be too high but stranger things have happened.

Anyway we should really be worrying about what he has been doing, not what i predicted him to do. 

His last game he looked like a different player all together. Played with confidence, didn't settle for shots and he was actively looking for teammates. The biggest thing i take out of this game was how RJ and MitchRob look like they already have some chemistry and could make for a deadly pick and roll combo in the future. I just hope DSJ doesn't get in the way of Knox and RJ's development haha

Edited by PaddyAustralia

Posted (edited)

Kid has serious problem in not being able to get past his defenders. Even in G-league.

The physicality and energy level is much, much higher in the actual NBA, where the big boys play.

Look at Jarrett Allen. I know that he is already an established NBA player, an above-average one to be honest, and he is absolutely dominating the summer leagues (he plays even better than his stats). 

The expectation level of this thread suggests Barrett to be at least an average NBA player.

I don't see that. The strengths he is showing at the Summer League isn't that impressive to be honest, and his weaknesses are going to be even more exploited. 

I'm not saying thay his ceiling is low or anything, but I beleive him to be more of a long-term project.

Maybe draft him in keepers,

But a big no for redrafts.

Edited by jhsong916
  • Like 3