1972Miamidolphins

A.J. Green 2019 Outlook

Anyone feel he will play it very very safe in his return, as in timetable?  One argument could be that he would want to rush back to prove to a team he is worth the money next year. But he’s still AJ Green. I wonder if he’s going to wait it out longer than we think so he doesn’t pull up even more lame before, especially with his recent injury history piling up a bit. 

I need to find the article but I think there was something on the Bengals site posted five days ago where he said something cautionary like this, that the reports of 6-8 weeks were generous and he was going to take every precaution. 

Edited by rizon

7 minutes ago, rizon said:

Anyone feel he will play it very very safe in his return, as in timetable?  One argument could be that he would want to rush back to prove to a team he is worth the money next year. But he’s still AJ Green. I wonder if he’s going to wait it out longer than we think so he doesn’t pull up even more lame before, especially with his recent injury history piling up a bit. 

I need to find the article but I think there was something on the Bengals site posted five days ago where he said something cautionary like this, that the reports of 6-8 weeks were generous and he was going to take every precaution. 

8 weeks will be this Saturday. His recovery is taking longer than expected but he's still going to be back before week 6, as most of us thought. 

1 minute ago, rizon said:

Anyone feel he will play it very very safe in his return, as in timetable?  One argument could be would want to rush back to prove to a team he is worth the money next year. But he’s still AJ Green. I wonder if he’s going to wait it out longer than we think so he doesn’t pull up even more lame before, especially with his recent injury history piling up a bit. 

I'm leaning this way as well.   I dont really see him rushing back for an 0-2 team, and he doesn't need production to get a deal, he needs health.   AJ's been a great receiver and there should be no question of what he can do when he's on the field, nothing left to prove there.  Age and health are the only negatives he should run into.   

4 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

8 weeks will be this Saturday. His recovery is taking longer than expected but he's still going to be back before week 6, as most of us thought. 

Yes. That article is horribly written and not explained. 8 weeks from the original injury is this Saturday as you stated. So late September/early October is already “longer than 6-8 weeks.”

17 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I'm leaning this way as well.   I dont really see him rushing back for an 0-2 team, and he doesn't need production to get a deal, he needs health.   AJ's been a great receiver and there should be no question of what he can do when he's on the field, nothing left to prove there.  Age and health are the only negatives he should run into.   

He's in a contract year, and he's gonna have to prove he's still got "it" after this recent injury if he wants to cash in one more time. I think you're right that the guy isn't gonna rush back (and he shouldn't), but I don't think the teams record has anything to do with it. 

23 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Crazy to say this but the Bengals have a legit shot at making the playoffs this year only due to schedule and how bad the AFC is. Bills, Steelers, and Cards are the next three games and all are very winnable.

Week 1: @ Seattle Seahawks, on Sept. 8 at 4:05 p.m. ET, CBS

Week 2: vs. San Francisco 49ers, on Sept. 15 at 1 p.m. ET, Fox

Week 3: @ Buffalo Bills, on Sept. 22 at 1 p.m. ET, CBS

Week 4: @ Pittsburgh Steelers, on Sept 30 at 8:15 p.m. ET, ESPN

Week 5: vs. Arizona Cardinals, on Oct. 6 at 1 p.m. ET, Fox

Week 6: @ Baltimore Ravens, on Oct. 13 at 1 p.m. ET, CBS

Week 7: vs. Jacksonville Jaguars, on Oct. 20 at 1 p.m. ET, CBS

Week 8: @ Los Angeles Rams, on Oct. 27 at 1 p.m. ET in London, CBS

Week 9: BYE

Week 10: vs. Baltimore Ravens, on Nov. 10 at 1 p.m. ET, CBS

Week 11: @ Oakland Raiders, on Nov. 17 at 4:25 p.m. ET, CBS

Week 12: vs. Steelers, on Nov. 24 at 1 p.m. ET, CBS

Week 13: vs. New York Jets, on Dec. 1 at 1 p.m. ET, CBS

Week 14: @ Cleveland Browns, on Dec. 8 at 1 p.m. ET, CBS

Week 15: vs. New England Patriots, on Dec. 15 at 1 p.m. ET, CBS

Week 16: @ Miami Dolphins, on Dec. 22 at 1 p.m. ET, CBS

Week 17: vs. Browns, on Dec. 29 at 1 p.m. ET, CBS

I think a fairly realistic scenario would be October 6th at home against the Cards. 

4 minutes ago, Prettyklever said:

Crazy to say this but the Bengals have a legit shot at making the playoffs this year only due to schedule and how bad the AFC is. Bills, Steelers, and Cards are the next three games and all are very winnable.

Bills are decent, and overall better than cincy. steelers will beat cincy because that's what they do. and the cards game will be closer than u think

Edited by Chippa

2 minutes ago, Chippa said:

Bills are decent, and overall better than cincy. steelers will beat cincy because that's what they do. and the cards game will be closer than u think

Like I said all very winnable games. The bills are still terrible, they were fortunate to play the 0-2 Jets and the 0-2 Giants the first two games. Overall, teams are very down this year.

3 minutes ago, Prettyklever said:

Like I said all very winnable games. The bills are still terrible, they were fortunate to play the 0-2 Jets and the 0-2 Giants the first two games. Overall, teams are very down this year.

You do realize that half the reason both teams are 0-2 is because the Bills beat them?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, hoppychokes said:

You do realize that half the reason both teams are 0-2 is because the Bills beat them?

Obviously, but the Jets and Giants are both bottom 5 teams.

Giant's may see some improvement that they finally changed Quarterbacks however.

Looks like most people missed the most important quote from the article.

What about the Monday nighter in Pittsburgh? That would be about ten weeks.

“That'd be a great game to come back. But like I said, we don't have a timeline,” Green said.

MNF would be Week 4 of the season.

14 minutes ago, Prettyklever said:

Obviously, but the Jets and Giants are both bottom 5 teams.

Giant's may see some improvement that they finally changed Quarterbacks however.

By your logic, the 0-2 Bengals can beat the Bills because the Bills have only beaten 0-2 teams and are thus terrible. 

At the very least, the Bills are good at beating bottom 5 teams...like the Bengals.

1 minute ago, hoppychokes said:

By your logic, the 0-2 Bengals can beat the Bills because the Bills have only beaten 0-2 teams and are thus terrible. 

At the very least, the Bills are good at beating bottom 5 teams...like the Bengals.

In my opinion I think the Bengals are just a better team. They have just had to face two tougher teams which is the reason they are 0-2.

23 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

This is a little ominous. 

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamnit.

Totally pointless to keep him stashed away on my bench now.

1 hour ago, Prettyklever said:

They'll be lucky to be 4-7 after 11 games.  If I'm management I put out the "tank" order now.

25 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Really don't like the sound of that. 

I was expecting him back soon after reading AJ's quote about returning for the Monday night game against the Steeler's and already doing side work at practice with cleats on.

28 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Is it?

Green talked for the first time since the injury before Wednesday’s practice, ending his 46-day silence a few days shy of seven weeks. Remember those breathless breaking news tweets of six to eight weeks?

"I don’t know where they got the six to eight weeks from. It’s going to be longer than that,” Green said. “It’s just one of those things that has to heal on its own. When I feel I’m healthy enough to play at the level I’m used to playing, I just want to make sure it’s at 100 percent."

So last week he basically said, I'm not playing right now because the 6-8 weeks wasn't accurate. I don't think he really said anything that blew up the current expectations/hopes, that he's 2-3 weeks away. It's really an educated guess though, nobody knows how quickly the last phase of his rehab will go, probably even him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Is it?

Green talked for the first time since the injury before Wednesday’s practice, ending his 46-day silence a few days shy of seven weeks. Remember those breathless breaking news tweets of six to eight weeks?

"I don’t know where they got the six to eight weeks from. It’s going to be longer than that,” Green said. “It’s just one of those things that has to heal on its own. When I feel I’m healthy enough to play at the level I’m used to playing, I just want to make sure it’s at 100 percent."

So last week he basically said, I'm not playing right now because the 6-8 weeks wasn't accurate. I don't think he really said anything that blew up the current expectations/hopes, that he's 2-3 weeks away. It's really an educated guess though, nobody knows how quickly the last phase of his rehab will go, probably even him.

Yeah I 100% agree. I don't think it changes anything from what we already knew when figuring his draft price, we've already hit the original timetable and he's basically confirming that it'll be at least week 4 as we all expected. Plus knowing the amount of injuries he's had the last couple years, he's restating that every injury is different and can't always go on timetables. SO yes, it could be longer, but I don't think anyone knows it will be longer than week 4 until we get there, not even him. I wouldn't read into that quote too much.

He's about 8 weeks from the injury right now. So, yeah, it's going to be more than that. Nothing changed on that front. I drafted him thinking he wouldn't be back till week 6.

Thankfully I came here and read what you guys were saying since I was about to drop him thinking he was out an additional 6-8 weeks. Phew! 

Yeah, the quote is slightly concerning, but the way I read it, he was just saying the total timeline is longer than 6-8 weeks. I actually used the negative tone of the write up to trade for him tonight... so I’m invested now, whereas before I was just an interested outside party.

I’m hoping Week 5, anticipating Week 6.