1972Miamidolphins

A.J. Green 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

If he wasn't a long-term hold, then they shouldn't have drafted him. Simple as that.

 

Also, what's your definition of "long term" hold? 5 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 weeks, or the 12 week mark?

By the time you get to the latter, that's right around the playoffs. You're going to trust AJ Green, Dalton, and the Bengals in his first game or two back on the team for a playoff game?

Just a hypothetical, but you get my point. There comes a point and time where it just becomes absurd with this state of limbo.

In my case, I don't have the luxury of an IR spot and we only have 4 bench spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bingo Bandanas said:

 

Also, what's your definition of "long term" hold? 5 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 weeks, or the 12 week mark?

By the time you get to the latter, that's right around the playoffs. You're going to trust AJ Green, Dalton, and the Bengals in his first game or two back on the team for a playoff game?

Just a hypothetical, but you get my point. There comes a point and time where it just becomes absurd with this state of limbo.

In my case, I don't have the luxury of an IR spot and we only have 4 bench spots.

Pack him up in a deal and try to upgrade then. I can see some people not being able to wait. I have the luxury of him being a flex. I just have a ton of WR depth. To me, the 8-week mark is when I'd start to get fidgety. That's if I had him on my bench. But still, not going to be many better options on the wire. Yeah, if he's playing he's going in my lineup. He's going right in Boyd's position right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Not really. I drafted him knowing I had an IR spot. However, I would have no problem right now having him on my bench. If you have a really shallow bench, then sure. I'm talking about "really" shallow. I drafted back in mid-August. I would have still selected him, with or without the IR spot. I would not be contemplating dropping him today. It's just ridiculous. Guys you contemplate dropping are DeSean Jackson types, not AJG types. Trade him if you have to, but dropping him, no. He will be back. He's UFA after this season and he will need a sample showing he's healthy and can still produce like before. Can't do that sitting out all season.

 

Same here, as to drafting him with or without the IR spot. The major difference back then was that most of us incorrectly assumed, and given all the medical information, that at worst he would be back by week 4 or 5.

Obviously it went the other way and turned upside down, but that's the way it goes.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

If he wasn't a long-term hold, then they shouldn't have drafted him. Simple as that.

 

This is a bit disingenuous.  The initial timeline (6-8 weeks) had him missing 4 games at most. Plenty of people likely drafted around that expectation, and are now having to re-calibrate (and that's if everything else has gone to plan). 

I still can't imagine many scenarios where he is not a hold, but if you need to win now and your WRs are trash, I could see being forced to trade.  But most people in this scenario should have been stashing WRs off waivers... that's what I've been doing as a Hill/Green owner.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, owenmills said:

 

I'm not advocating dropping him, I don't have big enough hangars to do that. But it is very possible the dude isn't back in the lineup getting major snaps for 6 weeks, and even then may not put up elite numbers(although I think he will). Even though I wouldn't do it I can see plenty of scenarios where it would look like a good move in hindsight. The only thing I've really learned with certainty over the many years of playing FF is I'm wrong a lot. 

Concur, I have been an idiot many times in this game.

But there aren't many safer bets than this guy in the history of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bingo Bandanas said:

 

It's difficult to pinpoint trade value for him, that was my entire point. You can't put definitive value on a player given all of the circumstances already mentioned.

 

I agree, but you don’t need to pinpoint trade value for him. Trade value is whatever someone else is willing to give you. Tell people in your league Green is on the block, and see what offers you get... Or send out offers yourself.  Either way, it only takes one owner to value Green as an eventual WR1 for you to get something good back.  I’m sure there is someone like that in every league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Either way, it only takes one owner to value Green as an eventual WR1 for you to get something good back.  I’m sure there is someone like that in every league.

 

There probably is.  I personally think that Green is going to spend most of his time watching Dalton get sacked though.  That line, unless it improves, is killing all fantasy value on the Bengals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brownsfan74 said:

 

There probably is.  I personally think that Green is going to spend most of his time watching Dalton get sacked though.  That line, unless it improves, is killing all fantasy value on the Bengals.

 

Their line has always been bad, and AJ still produces... Don’t underestimate the connection he has with Dalton.  

I know it looked hopeless on Monday Night, but two years ago they had the worst line in the league (it improved slightly last year), and Green did fine when he was healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bingo Bandanas said:

 

It's difficult to pinpoint trade value for him, that was my entire point. You can't put definitive value on a player given all of the circumstances already mentioned.

I'm not saying he should be dropped, only that it has to be considered if there's no progression to getting back on the field.

I mean we've seen clips of him running and jumping around in his rehab, and quite honestly he's looking spry on that ankle.

This is looking more and more to be mostly about getting a new contract.

 

What is definitive trade value for ANY player?   Completely depends on the league and owners.   If you get a live fish that will give u...say....Golladay, or Shady McCoy then I’d consider trading him.   

 

But most owners wouldn’t go for that.  The smart move is a hold and wait.   I don’t think this has anything to do with a contract.   He’s getting paid by Cincy or someone else as long as he demonstrates health at some point.  

 

Edited by Impreza178

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread will be more fun when it's like "OK guys, he's finally got the green light, who's starting him this week?" can't wait!! 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BallinOnnaBudget said:

This thread will be more fun when it's like "OK guys, he's finally got the green light, who's starting him this week?" can't wait!! 

I can tell you right now, I've been holding him this long, I'm starting him regardless when he returns. There will be no question.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BallinOnnaBudget said:

This thread will be more fun when it's like "OK guys, he's finally got the green light, who's starting him this week?" can't wait!! 

Straight into my lineup as soon as he suits up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BallinOnnaBudget said:

This thread will be more fun when it's like "OK guys, he's finally got the green light, who's starting him this week?" can't wait!! 

He's already said he won't play unless he's 100%.... why would you not play him when he comes back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

Straight into my lineup as soon as he suits up.

Yeah I'm not hitting the Assistant Coach thread for any WDIS questions between AJ and Diggs, I got this one fellas.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BallinOnnaBudget said:

he's finally got the green light, who's starting him this week?" can't wait!! 

He's gonna pound when he suits up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JohnD said:

He's already said he won't play unless he's 100%.... why would you not play him when he comes back?

Because it'll be a calendar year or close to it since he's been on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SuperMarksBros. said:

Because it'll be a calendar year or close to it since he's been on the field.

 

Hes been in camp, meetings, and workouts.   For a vet who knows how to train it’s not a stretch to see him back to 7+ targets week 1

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

 

Hes been in camp, meetings, and workouts.   For a vet who knows how to train it’s not a stretch to see him back to 7+ targets week 1

 

Exactly.

We saw Antonio Brown this year in 5 days get a new QB, coach, teammates, playbook and score a TD in a game and he's certifiable.

We're really questioning how much ramp up time AJ Green needs when healthy?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

 

Exactly.

We saw Antonio Brown this year in 5 days get a new QB, coach, teammates, playbook and score a TD in a game and he's certifiable.

We're really questioning how much ramp up time AJ Green needs when healthy?

Yes.  AB was healthy and in game shape.  The 2 situations are completely different. Far too many times guys have missed significant time and then be eased back into action or even used as decoys.  Greens time missed is very significant.

To each his own.

Edited by SuperMarksBros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as the topic of a potential trade and/or re-signing with Cincinnati, these quotes from AJ himself might be relevant:

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SuperMarksBros. said:

Yes.  AB was healthy and in game shape.  The 2 situations are completely different. Far too many times guys have missed significant time and then be eased back into action or even used as decoys.  Greens time missed is very significant.

To each his own.

Completely reasonable concerns.   The flip side is you’re the guy who benched AJG in his glorious return.  

 Guess we see 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Green has been the definition of eased back. Assuming he even plays this year he's immediately locked and loaded in my lineup. You don't need a ease-in game when you took 50% more than the long end of the timeframe to get healthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take your time AJ, just be there in the playoff push and beyond

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we still expect a top 10 wide out once he's healthy? He was certainly trending that way last year before he got hurt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there even an ETA for his return? Seems like "maybe soon" is all we have to go by, so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.