1972Miamidolphins

A.J. Green 2019 Outlook

25 minutes ago, cerdo said:

FYI, i'm a patient AJG owner hoping i'm sitting on a GOLD MINE. tick tock...

I do still think he ends up being worth the draft pick, but I'd be shocked if it's in a Bengals uniform without a new deal. 

The nice thing is this has dragged on so long with so little info most people probably barely even remember they have him. It's not like a M Gordon or D Adams situation. It's essentially a forgotten bench spot that could be a WR1 in a few weeks. 

1 minute ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It's just impossible to say what is going on here. Nobody but AJ knows, and he ain't saying anything...but I sure wouldn't be expecting him back this week

This. He ain’t playing this week. I’ll be surprised if he plays next week too. 

Would be a bummer if he doesn’t play this week, especially now that the Jags traded Ramsey. With Cooper likely being out and Keenan playing like trash lately, I could really use him.

And I hate to say it guys, but it honestly wouldn’t surprise me to see him come back in Week 10 after the Bengals’ bye in Week 9. If they’re serious about not trading him, there’d be no reason why he’d *have* to come back and play before the trade deadline. New offensive system, missing all of the preseason, etc. All the Bengals really need to see is how he looks in a Zac Taylor offense and whether they want to pay him or not. And he wouldn’t necessarily need an extended run to give them that information.

Edited by kraftwrk_5

42 minutes ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Would be a bummer if he doesn’t play this week, especially now that the Jags traded Ramsey. With Cooper likely being out and Keenan playing like trash lately, I could really use him.

And I hate to say it guys, but it honestly wouldn’t surprise me to see him come back in Week 10 after the Bengals’ bye in Week 9. If they’re serious about not trading him, there’d be no reason why he’d *have* to come back and play before the trade deadline. New offensive system, missing all of the preseason, etc. All the Bengals really need to see is how he looks in a Zac Taylor offense and whether they want to pay him or not. And he wouldn’t necessarily need an extended run to give them that information.

Does he actually want an extension with the Bengals though? I just can’t understand why he would stay with this pathetic organization. 

5 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

No contract, no trade, no play. Book it.

i'll go the opposite. trade, contract, beast. ink it.

2 minutes ago, cerdo said:

i'll go the opposite. trade, contract, beast. ink it.

That would be wonderful but it's the type of bold move the Bengals are known to NOT make. They'd rather see him walk in 2020 for no compensation than actually try to do something about the situation. I truly believe that. 

PS - just to clarify the post you responded to - I was referring to conditions to his playing, as I believe he's likely ready to go. If he gets no contract and he's not traded -  I think he remains sidelined. A "quiet holdout". In this case the team he has considerable leverage over is winless through 6 weeks.

Edited by SuperJoint

Why would AJ walk when he can be catching passes from Tua next year?

6 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

Does he actually want an extension with the Bengals though? I just can’t understand why he would stay with this pathetic organization. 

He's been injury prone the last X years and he probably realizes no one else will give him as much $$$ as the organization that he had the most success with.

25 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

That would be wonderful but it's the type of bold move the Bengals are known to NOT make. They'd rather see him walk in 2020 for no compensation than actually try to do something about the situation. I truly believe that. 

PS - just to clarify the post you responded to - I was referring to conditions to his playing, as I believe he's likely ready to go. If he gets no contract and he's not traded -  I think he remains sidelined. A "quiet holdout". In this case the team he has considerable leverage over is winless through 6 weeks.

i wouldn't categorize it as a bold move. it's really a no brainer and sound business decision. trade him to get what they can before he walks and risk getting nada. OR lock him up so he retires a bengal.

my gut tells me he's a class act and genuinely wants to go larry's route and retire a bengal. that said, he won't rush back if he's not feeling like he's ready to go full speed. think the competitor in him wants to just get back out there, do AJG things, and show the world that he is an ace wr.

here's the latest news:

"And, wide receiver A.J. Green (ankle) didn't practice Wednesday after going limited twice last week. Taylor said they aren’t waiting for after the bye week (Nov. 10 against Baltimore at PBS) to bring back Green. But he said they want to make sure he plays more games than not when he returns and are putting him on a day-to-day basis to see how the ankle responds after each workout. On Wednesday he just watched the first part of practice and then apparently did nothing the rest of the way. He had planned to run routes for the first time in Baltimore last Sunday during pregame but didn't. He said after the game that he was OK."

https://www.bengals.com/news/injury-update-starting-cbs-out-this-week-green-not-full-go-yet-glenn-cleared

i'm cautiously optimistic he's back soon. let's see what transpires tmrw.

tick tock...

Edited by cerdo
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Why would AJ walk when he can be catching passes from Tua next year?

AJ getting traded to Miami? Cause Miami is getting Tua

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, rocket said:

He's been injury prone the last X years and he probably realizes no one else will give him as much $$$ as the organization that he had the most success with.

And he’s 31 and injury prone, why would the bangles want him? They need a total rebuild, it’s a disaster. 

6 minutes ago, JrsKars said:

AJ getting traded to Miami? Cause Miami is getting Tua

I wouldn't be so sure about that

I'm gonna lol so much at this thread if he gets in a full tomorrow or Friday and plays Sunday.

Guys, let's just stop pretending like we understand what's going on here and just see what happens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that

They didn’t just go for two on Sunday, they went for Tua.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I'm gonna lol so much at this thread if he gets in a full tomorrow or Friday and plays Sunday.

Guys, let's just stop pretending like we understand what's going on here and just see what happens.

Obviously no one knows for sure, but this isn't normal behavior, nor a normal timeline a month following the long end of the injury timeframe. Only logical conclusion is there's more to the story. The complete lack of coverage on this has been bizarre as well. 

18 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

And he’s 31 and injury prone, why would the bangles want him? They need a total rebuild, it’s a disaster. 

The Bengals seem to like keeping and paying their own.  If they didn't want to keep (and pay) him, it would make no sense not to trade him.  Management has been told many times over the years they need to rebuild and fire Marvin Lewis.  After the start they got off to this year, they might have some second thoughts about that.    Andy Dalton has had a heck of lot of years as the starter, when he's a lower tier guy.  The Bengals do it their own way, even if it doesn't seem to make sense to the rest of us.   

6 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Obviously no one knows for sure, but this isn't normal behavior, nor a normal timeline a month following the long end of the injury timeframe. Only logical conclusion is there's more to the story. The complete lack of coverage on this has been bizarre as well. 

He got in limited practices last week.

He's got a new coach with a new scheme after what, eight years of the same guy?  And he hasn't played in a game for him yet.

One possible explanation is he is observing how guys are running it.

Another possible explanation is that they are limiting the practices reps of a guy who has one contract left and is coming off of major foot surgery.

This is not the only logical conclusion.  It's a possibility, but to pretend like we've whittled it down to "trade, extension or bust" seems extremely premature to me on Wednesday.

Edited by JE7HorseGod

4 hours ago, Pooskay said:

With Josh Gordon banged up, NE is looking like a likely spot for Green.

Isnt AJ Green banged up too?

• Haha 2

I'd much rather he go to GB where he's actually needed than NE.

I said on this board back in the day NE didn't need Antonio when they signed him - they don't need AJ either. I want AJ where he's needed.

4 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

I'd much rather he go to GB where he's actually needed than NE.

I said on this board back in the day NE didn't need Antonio when they signed him - they don't need AJ either. I want AJ where he's needed.

He's needed on my fantasy team, why are these players so selfish and not thinking about my fantasy team?

2 hours ago, trolltoll said:

He's needed on my fantasy team, why are these players so selfish and not thinking about my fantasy team?

real money>fantasy money

Today and tomorrow practices will be telling but after practicing limited last week and running routes before the game Sunday if he goes backwards this week with no explanation that’ll be super bizarre

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Today and tomorrow practices will be telling but after practicing limited last week and running routes before the game Sunday if he goes backwards this week with no explanation that’ll be super bizarre

Concur.

We got a really small window in with some videos of him running around some bags and he looked like he was able to cut and plant.

Preposterous to try and glean anything from that I know, but one possible explanation to me would be that it's more new scheme related than a physical issue.