1972Miamidolphins

A.J. Green 2019 Outlook

29 minutes ago, phegotgame14 said:

Agreed...Whats the incentive here for green to even play a snap this season?

Literally millions of dollars.

I mean, think about it.

If you were a GM, and you were deciding what kind of money you wanted to give to a 31 year old future hall of Famer, knowing that most receivers are past their prime at 34, wouldn't you feel more comfortable giving him one last crack if he showed you something the last few games, even in a terrible situation, than if he sat out the whole year?

His market is immensely richer with just one big game this year if he comes away healthy.

• Like 2

The funny thing about this whole situation is that if AJ had come back when he was originally due to return around Week 3 or so, he and Dalton would have made some beautiful music together, the Bengals would have lucked into at least a couple of wins, and Dalton likely wouldn’t have gotten benched. So AJ’s injury and painstakingly slow “recovery” is at least partially responsible for Dalton getting benched. Dalton probably doesn’t think it’s all that funny though.

Edited by kraftwrk_5
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Peyton's Daddy said:

Not abandoning...just going to rot on the back of my bench behind Tate and Stills.

PD

Behind Stills?!!! Lol

Once AJ is healthy, he’s back in my lineup, period. Backup QB or no. He’s A.J. freaking Green.

• Like 1

Right, just look at how JuJu is tearing it up with a backup QB!  :lol:

No way would I start Green unless I was hard up for a WR starter, maybe a flex. See how it goes. He may not do much more than Boyd at this point, if that. You know teams will pay more attention to him than Boyd.

4 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

Boyd will probably be the play. Luckily I have him too. I'm holding out hope that AJ can produce with this change. It isn't like Dalton was very accurate this season.

?? He's got a 60% completion rate. Not amazing in today's NFL but not bad.

IMO having Green right now is like having Mixon. You can't just dump him due to upside but you're afraid to play him due to a pathetic O. So he rots on your bench lol

• Haha 1

Just now, bomont said:

No way would I start Green unless I was hard up for a WR starter, maybe a flex. See how it goes. He may not do much more than Boyd at this point, if that. You know teams will pay more attention to him than Boyd.

JuJu Smith-Schuster, while talented, is not AJ Green.

I think going into this year with JuJu, you were hopeful that his act could still work from last year without AB.  It was a brilliant year for a 24 year old kid, betting 1400 yards and 7 TDs.  It being his second NFL season, you certainly had a reason for optimism, even after Rothlesberger went down.

For frame of reference though, AJ Green has played SIX seasons in the past with comparable per game numbers to what JuJu had last year.

I would defy you to look at the Bengals depth chart from his entire tenure and compare anyone he has ever played with in terms of drawing coverage away from him with Antonio Brown.

And when we're talking about this immense step down, remember you're comparing the situations of stepping down from Ben Roethlisberger vs stepping down from Andy Dalton.

In short, one of these things does not lend itself to the other.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bomont said:

Well Dalton has basically been a backup QB masquerading as a starter for years, and Green has still been able to produce. And he’s done so even when there was very little else on the Bengals’ offense for the defense to pay attention to. Now at least there are some other guys who can make plays. It’s not like Finley is having to step in and try to fill Rodgers’ or Mahomes’ shoes, or even the example you cited, of the dropoff between Roethlisberger and Rudolph. It’s Andy Dalton. 😆

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Literally millions of dollars.

I mean, think about it.

If you were a GM, and you were deciding what kind of money you wanted to give to a 31 year old future hall of Famer, knowing that most receivers are past their prime at 34, wouldn't you feel more comfortable giving him one last crack if he showed you something the last few games, even in a terrible situation, than if he sat out the whole year?

His market is immensely richer with just one big game this year if he comes away healthy.

I think he will get paid regardless

• Like 1

Just now, phegotgame14 said:

I think he will get paid regardless

Maybe.

But he puts any doubt about being washed to bed by going out there and putting up a monster game with Ryan Finley in there.

If he doesn't show up at all, it almost certainly raises that potential suspicion with some folks.  The worm can turn pretty quick when people haven't seen you play for a year past 30.

31 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Maybe.

But he puts any doubt about being washed to bed by going out there and putting up a monster game with Ryan Finley in there.

If he doesn't show up at all, it almost certainly raises that potential suspicion with some folks.  The worm can turn pretty quick when people haven't seen you play for a year past 30.

inversely if he doesn't play a game this season he has a long history of top production and future teams could see him taking the whole season off, forgoing 16 games of wear and tear, as a plus. sitting out the season might be beneficial to him as far as getting a larger contract. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yossarian said:

inversely if he doesn't play a game this season he has a long history of top production and future teams could see him taking the whole season off, forgoing 16 games of wear and tear, as a plus. sitting out the season might be beneficial to him as far as getting a larger contract. 

That's a possibility, but I doubt that "taking a gap year for load management" paints as strong a picture as "coming back strong from an ankle injury to show that I'm still AJ Green, Dalton or no."

I could be wrong.

guys, Green is all class. Believe it or not, I think he wants to finish his career in Cincy. He's mentioned multiple times how he wants to emulate Larry Fitz.

• Like 1

People are forgetting Green missed most of 2018 too. Dude is a walking injury. He needs to play to establish some value. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Well Dalton has basically been a backup QB masquerading as a starter for years,

?  That's pretty ridiculous. He's no Peyton Manning or Rodgers, but he's a good QB. Not great but good. 

and Green has still been able to produce. And he’s done so even when there was very little else on the Bengals’ offense for the defense to pay attention to.

I see so that applies to Green but not Dalton :lol: OK!

1 hour ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Well Dalton has basically been a backup QB masquerading as a starter for years, and Green has still been able to produce. And he’s done so even when there was very little else on the Bengals’ offense for the defense to pay attention to. Now at least there are some other guys who can make plays. It’s not like Finley is having to step in and try to fill Rodgers’ or Mahomes’ shoes, or even the example you cited, of the dropoff between Roethlisberger and Rudolph. It’s Andy Dalton. 😆

Pffffff lmao

4 minutes ago, bomont said:

?  That's pretty ridiculous. He's no Peyton Manning or Rodgers, but he's a good QB. Not great but good. 

This

6 hours ago, bomont said:

IMO having Green right now is like having Mixon. You can't just dump him due to upside but you're afraid to play him due to a pathetic O. So he rots on your bench lol

And I have both which is just fantastic. I do agree on Mixon cause he gets game scripted out so often. Fortunately that will never happen with AJ so I do think he'll be startable upon return. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Getting ready for his 20 targets a game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Pretty much what we knew...Good news is Cincy still has to throw it and Boyd i believe is 3rd in the NFL in targets. Those are AJG targets if not a couple more. Lets just hope Finley realizes AJG has the best hands and the best option for him to make a case as a starting QB. Clear hold but im not throwing him out there week 10. 

Just now, TheFantasyFootballGods said:

He just returned to practice right now and is on track to play vs Baltimore! Lets GOOOOOOOOO. Hes on my fantasy team

If he’s active for Cincy, he’s active for me.   The guy is ready 

• Like 2