tonycpsu

2019 MiLB Bench Coach Thread (TRIAL)

15 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Exactly. I mean the guy has been out for over a month at this point. That must be some crazy fatigue or they're just not disclosing a more serious situation.

I think it's probably as much of a mental breather as it is physical and they're trying to recharge his batteries in addition to making sure he's fully healthy before throwing again. Of course that's pure speculation, so if a 2020 keeper decision needs to made in the coming weeks, I'd prefer to keep high upside options that are less cloudy for 2020 value.

I would take Ohtani and Adell.  Mize may have promise, but he'll be on a bad team.  Adell and Ohtani should produce and be valuable pretty immediately

30 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Luzardo or Whitley long term? 

I'm taking Luzardo today.

Okay, I'll try this out. Great idea, btw. 

12-team, traditional 5x5 keeper league. In our keeper rules, players are kept in the round they were originally drafted in, and they can be kept for two consecutive years (owned for three consecutive years) before being tossed back into the draft. With "NA" players, however, they can be kept for as long as the owner wants as long as they're in the minor leagues. Their three-year ownership clock doesn't start until their first call-up to the Majors. At that point, their keeper round is determined by their original drafted round or our FA rounds (rd23 and later...30-man roster). Oh, and we can keep up to two NA players each spring without them counting against our 8-man keeper list as long as they've never appeared in an MLB game.

So hoping I was clear on that, lol...which one of these guys would you be looking to carry in one of those NA slots:

Alex Kirilloff...has struggled this year and has battled injuries. He was originally thought to be a guy who could break camp in 2020, but that seems doubtful now.

Jarred Kelenic...power and speed combo seems pretty darn good, but the whole Seattle-prospect-juju-working-against-him thing gives me pause. 

Taylor Trammell...can he be a 2020 guy with ~10 HR and 30+ SBs?

Vidal Brujan...intriguing speed with potentially developing power. 

My other NA guy right now is Jo Adell, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he won't be called up this September, lol. 

Kirilloff and Kelenic have the most upside

Kiriloff is stuck at 1b/DH most likely so if his bat doesn't come around, he may not be worth it.  If you don't want to waste it on that, I'd go with Brujan

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Okay, I'll try this out. Great idea, btw. 

12-team, traditional 5x5 keeper league. In our keeper rules, players are kept in the round they were originally drafted in, and they can be kept for two consecutive years (owned for three consecutive years) before being tossed back into the draft. With "NA" players, however, they can be kept for as long as the owner wants as long as they're in the minor leagues. Their three-year ownership clock doesn't start until their first call-up to the Majors. At that point, their keeper round is determined by their original drafted round or our FA rounds (rd23 and later...30-man roster). Oh, and we can keep up to two NA players each spring without them counting against our 8-man keeper list as long as they've never appeared in an MLB game.

So hoping I was clear on that, lol...which one of these guys would you be looking to carry in one of those NA slots:

Alex Kirilloff...has struggled this year and has battled injuries. He was originally thought to be a guy who could break camp in 2020, but that seems doubtful now.

Jarred Kelenic...power and speed combo seems pretty darn good, but the whole Seattle-prospect-juju-working-against-him thing gives me pause. 

Taylor Trammell...can he be a 2020 guy with ~10 HR and 30+ SBs?

Vidal Brujan...intriguing speed with potentially developing power. 

My other NA guy right now is Jo Adell, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he won't be called up this September, lol. 

Choices like these is why I never like playing in keeper leagues with small minor league rosters. All of them are probably going to be really good and it's hard in my opinion to differentiate an all star from an above average regular while they're in the minor leagues.

That being said, I'd cross out Brujan first since he has the least power of the group. I feel like most of his fantasy appeal is based off of speed and that that will eventually wear off since most teams aren't as run heavy. With him being a SB threat potentially gone, his power may not be enough to keep him fantasy relevant in comparison to the other three names. It wasn't too long ago that George Springer had a 37/45 season with a .303 clip in the minors and fantasy outlets had him pegged as a guy who could potentially be a 1st round pick in redraft because of his tools and minors success. Unfortunately for us, real life managers don't care about fantasy and funny enough in his 6 year career Springer has exactly 45 steals (with 30 of them in his first three seasons).

Besides that I think it's a bit of a wash since the other three guys are all really really talented hitters and have some power to back it up. I'm going to contradict myself here but give me Trammell because of the speed. My thinking here is that Cincy will let their speedsters go wild on the basepaths, especially if they don't have much to play for. In his first four years he didn't have a season under 50 steals. I think all three of these guys will be so good though it's hard to make a bad choice.

• Thanks 1

Hello Guys,

I have 2 picks in my future Dynasty Draft in one week (1 and 11): The following players will be available, how do you ranked and who should be 1 and who should be 11.

I have Joey Bart in my Roster as a future catcher and Corey Seager, Gavin Lux, Peter DeJong as SS. 

Adley Rutschman
Marco Luciano
Julio Rodríguez
Kristian Robinson

In a vacuum I'd probably rank them Adley/Luciano/Rodriguez/Robinson - as always, that can change based on individual team needs/depth. Even with Bart in the fold, given Adley's proximity and position he should be highly coveted. You might even want to draft Adley and shop around Bart (or vice versa if you prefer) as you should be able to get a nice return for either. SS is always such a premium position even with the names you listed on your roster (though Lux I believe will likely end up at 2B).

Honestly though, it's hard to go wrong with any order there given the upside of each player. I just often find that OF's are easier to shore up than catcher or middle infield positions, especially when every prospect has stud potential. Good luck!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2019 at 4:34 PM, JCS said:

I have Joey Bart in my Roster as a future catcher and Corey Seager, Gavin Lux, Peter DeJong as SS. 

Just think some good advice in general is to not care about positions, take the best guy. You don't know who pans out and who doesn't. Even if you have Bart and you really like Adley take him. You can always trade if you get two great guys.

I'd go Adley, Julio, Kristian, Luciano.

Edited by brockpapersizer

Posted (edited)

Thanks guys, i just changed Bart for another first round pick (7th). Probably i could get Luciano and Julio, besides Adley. Let you know.

Edited by JCS
  • Like 1

Kind of vague but: who should be stashed in redraft leagues/small keepers at this point?  Like above I'm in a league where you can keep 3 guys based on their draft price (last round if picked up as a FA) so while it's not a dynasty "hitting" on a top prospect for a cheap price can net you an elite trade chip (eg Soto last year, Alvarez this year etc). 12 teams.

As of right now the only guys owned that haven't already been called are Urias and Mize. Should anyone else be stashed now or are you still taking a wait and see method still with guys like Robert and Adell?

Posted (edited)

Mize is hurt and won't get called up this year most likely.  Robert and Adell may get called up, but also are likely the types of guys that will start the season in AAA next year and won't get called up until June no matter how good they are doing because the teams want to save on arbitration.

Luis Urias I'd grab.  It's only a matter of time before he replaces Kinsler.  And when he does, he's here to stay.  Kyle Tucker is the other.  Both should come up shortly and both should be starters for their teams out of the gate next year.

And yes, both stunk in their time in the majors. a .220/.281/.390 line with 30ks in 123 AB is awful.  But you know what?  That's not either of their production this year.  That's Mike Trout's line when he came up to the majors in 2011 before he put up a .963 OPS the next season.

Bo Bichette, Carter Kieboom are two other hitters that fit that mold.  And Michael Kopech missed this year with TJ surgery, but was one of the best pitching prospects in baseball before he did, and will likely start the season in the White Sox rotation.

Edited by The Man

Okay I'll give this thread a try.  Michel Baez (SP - SD org).  What happened to him?  Just floatsum in the SD system now or just hidden behind better and/or more advanced arms?

Also is Kyle Muller worth getting given all the other arms in the Atlanta farm system?

Muller needs to gain command of his stuff, 57 bbs in 95ip isn't going to cut it as a starter in the majors. The k's are nice, K9+, as is the ba against, .211, but those bb's..he's a flyball pitcher too, if that matters to some, I personally moved on in 1 of my dynasty's due to the command issues, as well as how deep that farm system is with potent arms.. Might regret it down the road, but after a few moves, I settled on Tarik Skubal over Muller...time will tell, but if Muller doesn't harness his stuff, could see him in a Haderesq type of role....

Brett Conine, P hou, is putting in some good work in in the Carolina league. A little old for the level,22, but he was a 2018 draftee out of Cal St Fullerton. Deeeeep dynasty's take notice, he could be good if his secondaries continue to develop....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Drafted Cabello in my dynasty league, but I'm thinking I should drop him for any of the following since he is still ways away. If these guys are still available, then I should feel pretty safe about letting Cabello go and grabbing him later.. no?

10 team points dynasty with minimum 11 minors slots.

Triston Casas, Edward Cabrera, Oneil Cruz, Alek Thomas

Full team in sig.. I inherited a last place dynasty team and went full Hinkie by trading everyone I had for future assets.. Here is hoping. 

Edited by jerrysarms

Who you guys prefer generally, Brennen Davis or Alexander Canario?

Would you trade Stanton (and Addison Russell - though he's more of a throw in) for Julio Urias and Tyler Mahle in a dynasty league where you can keep players forever (with a cap of 22 players a year)

I'm hesitant in giving up a superstar like Stanton for really only Urias and a questionable Tyler Mahle (who has awful career splits and that matters in my sim league)

On 7/15/2019 at 4:05 PM, tucker26 said:

Who you guys prefer generally, Brennen Davis or Alexander Canario?

Brennen Davis.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, The Man said:

Would you trade Stanton (and Addison Russell - though he's more of a throw in) for Julio Urias and Tyler Mahle in a dynasty league where you can keep players forever (with a cap of 22 players a year)

I'm hesitant in giving up a superstar like Stanton for really only Urias and a questionable Tyler Mahle (who has awful career splits and that matters in my sim league)

Assuming your league isn't crazy deep, I definitely wouldn't do it. Urias and mahle are both question marks for sure.

Posted (edited)

Just wanted your opinion. Who do you prefer between Ethan Hankins, Franklin Perez, Kevin Smith and Jose Cantillo? 

Edited by Italian_guy

Rank these three in a keeper points league.

Luis Robert

Bo Bichette

Gavin Lux

I have more confidence in Lux as a hitter, but Robert could have a good bit of steals, so I'd probably lean Robert there.  Bichette is well behind the other two.