bomont

Greg Olsen 2019 Outlook

Poor old guy, no thread.

Injuries have killed what used to be TE fantasy gold. Can he recapture at least some of that to be worthwhile, or is he done? 

Olsen is one of the best values out there. At a very thin position, he's a late-rounder who can easily produce TE1 stats if he's 100%. You know Cam is going to make an effort to get him the ball -- possibly (and most likely) at the expense of other receivers, primarily DJ Moore and McCaffrey. In the years he's been healthy, he's been Cam's 1A or 1B receiver (along with Steve Smith or Kelvin Benjamin). 

I have stashed Olsen on my IR for most of the last 2 seasons, and now have him as my TE2 behind OJ Howard.
I wouldn't be shocked at all if Olsen turns out to be my weekly starter. 

If his foot holds up, he's a good bet for around 1000 yards and 5-7 TDs. 

• Like 1

I agree he is a good value if his current ADP holds.  Even if he has to miss the season after 4 games, it won't cost you much.  But Cam should be better after surgery and who knows how long Olsen's foot will hold up.

Hats off to a great player.   No thanks to a fantasy pick.     He's at the 3-30 stage of his career- that's about what he averaged last season when he played.  4 TD's in 9 games is solid at least, but he's not a TE1 when he's playing.    With the youth spread around that roster there's no reason he should vacuum targets as he did a few years back.  McCaffrey and Samuel are more effective players, Moore should get plenty of looks as well.   

You're probably right, but none of those WRs have stepped up to say the least and I'm unconvinced any will this year. I think the looks will be there for Olsen, and while his glory days are obviously gone, if he's healthy, solid second-tier TE stats are easily reachable.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bomont said:

none of those WRs have stepped up to say the least

DJ Moore had 950 yards starting only 10 games, on a gimpy Cam too. In a rookie season. 4 games of 80+ yards, 2 of them over 120.

• Like 1

History has shown that Cam and this offense supports a max of 2 receivers.
He's not throwing for 4000 yards. We're looking at 3500 max with about 25 TDs. 

We're essentially looking at around 1000 and 7 TDs each for Olsen and DJ Moore. 
McCaffrey will add another ~700 and 5 TDs, with Samuel, and the other options comprising the rest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AirForceOne said:

History has shown that Cam and this offense supports a max of 2 receivers.
He's not throwing for 4000 yards. We're looking at 3500 max with about 25 TDs. 

We're essentially looking at around 1000 and 7 TDs each for Olsen and DJ Moore. 
McCaffrey will add another ~700 and 5 TDs, with Samuel, and the other options comprising the rest. 

Good thinking, but Olsen is not going to get 1000 in my book. Otherwise I'm all with you.

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

DJ Moore had 950 yards starting only 10 games, on a gimpy Cam too. In a rookie season. 4 games of 80+ yards, 2 of them over 120.

? He went 55-788-2 and may have only started 10 but played in all 16. I'm not a Moore hater but he's IMO still quite unproven.

Regardless I'm not seeing 1000 for Olsen either, but 750ish is quite reachable, again if he stays healthy. 

5 minutes ago, bomont said:

He went 55-788-2 and may have only started 10 but played in all 16. I'm not a Moore hater but he's IMO still quite unproven.

And 172 yard rushing.

ah OK. I don't count on any significant rushing stats from a WR or think it really impacts anyone else.

5 minutes ago, bomont said:

ah OK. I don't count on any significant rushing stats from a WR or think it really impacts anyone else.

With end arounds and sweeps getting more popular you're going to see that more and more. Check also the stats of Woods, Diggs, Cooks, Hill, etc.

Samuel was effective at it too but only got a handful of attempts.    They had 23 WR rushes last year for nearly 300 yards.and 3 TD's among three guys.   I can't imagine they won't increase this next year.   They probably want Cam running even less, and they dont really have a solid back RB, so this can help.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

With end arounds and sweeps getting more popular you're going to see that more and more. Check also the stats of Woods, Diggs, Cooks, Hill, etc.

Are they? Interesting.  

So hand off to Olsen!   :)

15 hours ago, bomont said:

Are they? Interesting.  

So hand off to Olsen!   :)

Ugh, I lost a week once in 2016 by just a few points because Coby Fleener ran for a touchdown.  He caught one too.   Scored 2 other TD's total all year

Curious any info on this guy lately. Got stuck with him in an auction. Haven’t seen much of anything about him. I know Ian Thomas is injuried but is Olsen serviceable this year at all?

5 minutes ago, UcanTry said:

Curious any info on this guy lately. Got stuck with him in an auction. Haven’t seen much of anything about him. I know Ian Thomas is injuried but is Olsen serviceable this year at all?

Serviceable may be the right word for it. I'd be looking for someone with more upside, but Olsen and Jordan Reed are about the same at this point. If they stay healthy, they always have the potential to be a top 10 TE. But holding Olsen and watching all the waiver wire TEs with potential getting snatched up would be a hard thing for me to do.

13 minutes ago, UcanTry said:

Your guess is as good as anyone's

My bet is he is good for 30 yards and about a TD every 4 games.   Year stats..about 450-500 yards, 4 -5 tds...IF he stays healthy.  My guess is he is out by mid year.  That broken foot has been a problem for years and he is practically a fossil already.   He will work if you missed the top 3 TE but you will have to watch the waiver wire and be pro active.

Picked him up in Round 10 when someone snatched Delanie Walker a few picks before. Last team to draft a tight end. It was either him, Jordan Reed or Hockenson. Figured Olsen has the best QB. Hoping he holds up. Darren Waller and Chris Herndon (Susp) on the WW to keep an eye on for when Olsen goes down.

There’s no reason if Olsen is healthy that he can’t produce better than other tight ends picked before him. We’re not drafting him as the big 3 of tight ends. But the amount of value we’re getting for drafting him so late makes it worth it.

This guy was a top 5 TE for years,  He is back and healthy.

No respect

He had 9 targets and caught 4. Most weeks I'd be happy with my tight end getting 9 targets. But 4/36 make me wonder if it was just Cam throwing it in his general direction while under duress or what happened with the other 5 targets.