Sign in to follow this  
osb_tensor

Brendan McKay 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Well, that came out of nowhere.  [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to believe this is mostly because they used so many RP, including Beeks who is a bulk reliever and Yarborough who is a starter/bulk reliever. So even if he does well what chances does he have of staying in the rotation? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Theschill38 said:

I have to believe this is mostly because they used so many RP, including Beeks who is a bulk reliever and Yarborough who is a starter/bulk reliever. So even if he does well what chances does he have of staying in the rotation? 

I know it's the Rays, but there's no reason not to leave him in the rotation if he does good on Saturday, especially now that there's a real shot Glasnow never comes back this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Theschill38 said:

I have to believe this is mostly because they used so many RP, including Beeks who is a bulk reliever and Yarborough who is a starter/bulk reliever. So even if he does well what chances does he have of staying in the rotation? 

About 100% if he does well.  Super 2 is past so there is no advantage for TB in sending him back down.  And since he can DH some days he isn't pitching as well they basically get a 2 for 1.  (And Yahoo split him in 2 JUST in time as well with only days to spare).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

About 100% if he does well.  Super 2 is past so there is no advantage for TB in sending him back down.  And since he can DH some days he isn't pitching as well they basically get a 2 for 1.  (And Yahoo split him in 2 JUST in time as well with only days to spare).

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, what about the fact that he had a 65 pitch limit most if the year, and recently had it increased to 85. How do we know he gets to throw any more than that? Would really limit the upside especially for those of us in QS leagues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has ace potential.  Anyone know if they will use an opener?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Theschill38 said:

Ok, what about the fact that he had a 65 pitch limit most if the year, and recently had it increased to 85. How do we know he gets to throw any more than that? Would really limit the upside especially for those of us in QS leagues. 

No guarantee that he’ll start (there may be an opener), and no guarantee he sticks at this point. Could be a spot start. 

https://t.co/8NL9ooq0Yc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely worth the risk. Huge upside and like someone said above, with Glasnow not back for a while and him past Super 2, I don’t see why they wouldn’t keep him as a starter in the rotation. Could pull what Walker Beuhler pulled last year and crush the second half.. Mind you his bats pretty meh 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Theschill38 said:

Ok, what about the fact that he had a 65 pitch limit most if the year, and recently had it increased to 85. How do we know he gets to throw any more than that? Would really limit the upside especially for those of us in QS leagues. 

I think they were keeping him at a 65 limit until they stretched him out in preparation of his eventual promotion. I imagine that process got sped up once Glasnow's injury got re-aggravated. Have to wait and see. He'll have a tough first test against the Rangers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KidDynamite420 said:

I think they were keeping him at a 65 limit until they stretched him out in preparation of his eventual promotion. I imagine that process got sped up once Glasnow's injury got re-aggravated. Have to wait and see. He'll have a tough first test against the Rangers.

I love the matchup with all of those lefties

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, KidDynamite420 said:

I think they were keeping him at a 65 limit until they stretched him out in preparation of his eventual promotion. I imagine that process got sped up once Glasnow's injury got re-aggravated. Have to wait and see. He'll have a tough first test against the Rangers.

Texas is 23rd in the league with a wRC+ of 86 against lefties. Factor in that it’s in Tampa and I wouldn’t be scared of that matchup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

4IP

3ER (2 HR)

5K

1BB

Edited by FritzLn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kramjam24 said:

In theory could he pitch and be the DH in the same game ?

No, but he could pitch and hit like they do in the NL and not use a DH for that game, but that is extremely unlikely. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Theschill38 said:

No, but he could pitch and hit like they do in the NL and not use a DH for that game, but that is extremely unlikely. 

Yes to all of that.  Once he comes out of the game it he hit then TB would have to play NL-ball all the rest of the way in the game as well with all that silly paint-by-numbers boring double switch crap against a team using the DH.

I doubt he even will DH at all at first.  Or even this season.  Keep him focused at one task and don't jerk his attention around too much.  TB has a lot of good hitters this season they are having trouble making room for in the line-up as it is.  They really don't need him batting.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It isn't unusual in college for pitchers to be good hitters. so if he DH/pitch when he gets pulled from the mound the new pitcher has to bat in his spot and he has to come out of game or go to a position like 1B and that guy leaves game and the pitcher takes the 1B batting slot while Dh keeps his original lineup slot as batter. I think they pinchhit Mckay at first on nonpitch days if a bat is needed like a long extra inning game or a blowout either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, KidDynamite420 said:

Definitely worth the risk. Huge upside and like someone said above, with Glasnow not back for a while and him past Super 2, I don’t see why they wouldn’t keep him as a starter in the rotation. Could pull what Walker Beuhler pulled last year and crush the second half.. Mind you his bats pretty meh 

 

Who is this imposter?!? Haha just kidding. Nice avatar. 

 

I agree, he’s definitely worth the risk even with the chance he follows an opener. I know that limits his upside in QS leagues so I’d pay less and expect less for him but he’s still got ace stuff. Play the talent I say. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

No guarantee that he’ll start (there may be an opener), and no guarantee he sticks at this point. Could be a spot start. 

https://t.co/8NL9ooq0Yc

 

I hope he doesn't start. He is more valuable as a bulker, with the exception of QS leagues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We consider McKay the SP a must add ?

 

I had never heard of him until recently. Found some minors numbers which looked very good. Wasn't sure where we rank him among guys like Luzardo and Gallen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this