Sign in to follow this  
osb_tensor

Brendan McKay 2019 Outlook

4 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I think he'll be a solid once a week pitcher ROS. Average line of 6 inn, 2 ER, 4 K, 1.1 Whip.

I don’t see why he can’t go a K per inning 

25 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I don’t see why he can’t go a K per inning 

So far (2 starts) he's at 6 K's through 11 innings.

But I don't disagree that he could improve on that. 

• Like 1

Last year McKay threw 78.1 innings. To date he's at 77.2 innings. With 30 -35 innings left in the tank how much of an asset can he be?

17 minutes ago, pan55 said:

Last year McKay threw 78.1 innings. To date he's at 77.2 innings. With 30 -35 innings left in the tank how much of an asset can he be?

He pitched 109 and 129 innings each of the last two seasons prior to that. I would think that should count for something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheForearmShiver said:

He pitched 109 and 129 innings each of the last two seasons prior to that. I would think that should count for something. 

I'm sure they do. Maybe not as much arm stress as professional baseball, but pitching for Louisville certainly required high effort. Good point.

1 hour ago, pan55 said:

I'm sure they do. Maybe not as much arm stress as professional baseball, but pitching for Louisville certainly required high effort. Good point.

Looks like he averaged just over 100 pitches per appearance in 2017 so he was not getting babied there. 

8 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Looks like he averaged just over 100 pitches per appearance in 2017 so he was not getting babied there. 

If you are expecting the Rays not to baby his arm, you will be disappointed 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BMcP said:

No. But I’m not expecting them to use him for less innings than he’s already been ramped up for. 

• Like 2

He should be activated as the 26th man on Saturday the 13th to pitch one of the doubleheader games against BAL.

6 hours ago, BMcP said:

They still baby their established starters (Snell, even Morton), so yeah, they'll baby anybody.  Can't fault them though because their manager is a genius, creating the opener, which is the greatest thing to happen to MLB since....  well, nope, can't do it.  I can't spew that much bs.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, STLSU said:

He should be activated as the 26th man on Saturday the 13th to pitch one of the doubleheader games against BAL.

Official, FYI 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just noticed McKay is now available as a two-way player on CBS with SP/U eligibility. Found that interesting as I believe he’s only batted in one game. 

Speaking of the impending McKay innings limit... Once he reaches whatever that limit will be, will they opt to keep him on the MLB roster as a bat? Does he go back down to work on hitting until the AAA Durham season ends on September 2nd - if he runs out of innings in August?

6 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Speaking of the impending McKay innings limit... Once he reaches whatever that limit will be, will they opt to keep him on the MLB roster as a bat? Does he go back down to work on hitting until the AAA Durham season ends on September 2nd - if he runs out of innings in August?

I’m not certain they’ll shut him down. I think they’ll do one of two things:

1) He’s going to start once a week. So we’re talking 12 starts ROS, 5-6 IP each. And they let him get to ~140-145 IP. 

2) They move him at some point to bullpen (even opener) to save his innings, and with plans to continue to use him assuming they make playoffs.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

giphy.gif

I don't see them keeping him up for just the batting. Maybe they're going to save a few innings for him to be an opener or used out of the pen down the stretch. But they may just plan his starts accordingly so he starts the remainder of the season.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

If they are in the playoff mix I can't see them pulling some stupid "save Stephen Strasburg's arm for next year" crap.  (BTW, Nats, how did that work out?).  Pitch counts and innings stuff is a group think for small minds who think they are some magic formula since the era of Cy Young (*cough*) and they come before any and all things like wining a World Series -- the whole goal of eve playing baseball at all -- or plain old common sense.

34 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I’m not certain they’ll shut him down. I think they’ll do one of two things:

1) He’s going to start once a week. So we’re talking 12 starts ROS, 5-6 IP each. And they let him get to ~140-145 IP. 

2) They move him at some point to bullpen (even opener) to save his innings, and with plans to continue to use him assuming they make playoffs.

Probably a combination of the 2, TBH. 

4 hours ago, pjoner said:

who is rolling him out tomorrow?

If you can't play him against the Orioles he's not rosterable 

• Like 2

This kid good. O's always a nice matchup to show you can get K's.

Only 5 innings though at 86 pitches?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

This kid good. O's always a nice matchup to show you can get K's.

Only 5 innings though at 86 pitches?

What do you expect these days in the era of pitch counts, season innings limits and babying young arms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, professorbaseball said:

Is he starting again in 5 days? or in the next week? If not might drop him and stream.

no

optioned