Sign in to follow this  
osb_tensor

Brendan McKay 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I’m not entirely sure how many times they can move him back and forth, but I’ll assume he’ll again be back up next week.

So looking at the rule, he must be down now for 10 days, unless he’s 26th man (as he was last Saturday) or if he’s replacing someone else on the IL. Makes it a little murkier I suppose, though it appears the Rays are playing the same game the Dodgers played last season, so I’m guessing someone goes IL next Friday and he gets called to pitch. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats the rule for him to be called up for the 26th man? Yahoo saying he's gonna start Friday against the Jays, but if he's not pitching next week I wanna drop him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 2:23 PM, BMcP said:

Maybe they’d prefer to carry some relievers in the interim

This.

With the way Cash deploys openers/followers, it pays to have as many arms in the pen as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 5:34 PM, Backdoor Slider said:

So looking at the rule, he must be down now for 10 days, unless he’s 26th man (as he was last Saturday) or if he’s replacing someone else on the IL. Makes it a little murkier I suppose, though it appears the Rays are playing the same game the Dodgers played last season, so I’m guessing someone goes IL next Friday and he gets called to pitch. 

 

Interesting info, thanks. Has there been any word that he will be called up to start tomorrow? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It’s looking like he’ll pitch Friday against the Blue Jays but hasn’t been confirmed. At this point i think he pitches once a week moving forward.

Edited by Stoper54
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw this. No other confirmation, but I did see this account post about him before (before others announced) and it was accurate. So take it FWIW:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

With Snell's injury (out four weeks), will McKay stick around full time?

Certainly possible but the pitch count would still be strict and there is a chance the Rays just move on past this year. Tough to really predict with that organization

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Figure it’ll be McKay for sure, but saw this and thought odd to announce an opener tomorrow. Will McKay be “bulk” guy to limit innings? Hurts for QS leagues, helps in W leagues?

EDIT: Unless of course he’s up Saturday, duh. Brain fart by me.

 

Edited by Backdoor Slider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They had him pitch 4 innings in AAA tonight. He gave up 3 hits, 0 ER, and got 6 strikeouts. If anything, he might get a call up on the 31st or 1st at Boston. Definitely disappointing considering all the chatter around him being up tomorrow or day after.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SpartyinFoCo said:

They had him pitch 4 innings in AAA tonight. He gave up 3 hits, 0 ER, and got 6 strikeouts. If anything, he might get a call up on the 31st or 1st at Boston. Definitely disappointing considering all the chatter around him being up tomorrow or day after.

 

 

You realize when they demote him he has to stay down for 10 days right? So tomorrow or the day after was never happening.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

You realize when they demote him he has to stay down for 10 days right? So tomorrow or the day after was never happening.

Yep. The silver lining to the Snell injury is now that now once McKay gets recalled, he will stay up on the MLB team ROS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

You realize when they demote him he has to stay down for 10 days right? So tomorrow or the day after was never happening.

I hope you realize this as well which is taken straight from MLB.com. If he were to replace Snell after he was placed on IL, he could be called up before the 10 days. 

Players who are optioned to the Minor Leagues typically must remain there for a minimum of 10 days before they are eligible to be recalled to the Major League roster, but if a player is serving as the 26th man for a doubleheader or replacing a player who has been placed on the injured list, he can be recalled without having spent a minimum of 10 days in the Minors after being optioned.

Here's a reference for ya: http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/26th-man

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

what are all of you doing with this guy?

I’m in a keeper league, so completely different set of circumstances than redraft. But even in redraft I gotta think when he’s called up next week (he’s gotta get called up next week, right?), he’s up to stay considering Glasnow and Snell both down. Not sure how they’ll limit him (already only going ~85 pitches/outing...maybe bulk guy?) but there’s too much upside. I think everyone needs to hold until next week and see how this plays out. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have any updates on if being called back up this week? Would like to add but don’t want to waste a add and a spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m holding in a 12 team but if he gets send back down after his next call up I don’t think he’s worth keeping around. I don’t think he will get enough innings to be valuable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I’m holding in a 12 team but if he gets send back down after his next call up I don’t think he’s worth keeping around. I don’t think he will get enough innings to be valuable.

I have a hard time believing they will send him right back down yet again whenever they finally call him back up, even if they end up trading for a SP before the deadline.  I understand limiting the innings and such, but doing this frequently doesn't really do much good.  It would make more sense to bring him up and let him pitch until they feel they are ready to shut him down instead of jerking him around the rest of the season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

I have a hard time believing they will send him right back down yet again whenever they finally call him back up, even if they end up trading for a SP before the deadline.  I understand limiting the innings and such, but doing this frequently doesn't really do much good.  It would make more sense to bring him up and let him pitch until they feel they are ready to shut him down instead of jerking him around the rest of the season.

Don’t they have to worry about wasting all of his minor league options at some point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Don’t they have to worry about wasting all of his minor league options at some point?

Options decrease by 1 once a player is sent down that season. He's already been called up so that's already happened. Next time he'd lose options would be next season if he was sent down.

Edited by Lebanasty
A word
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if they sent him down to basically do the minimum to stay stretched out and effective, so that they can actually use him as a viable SP. (Not 100+ pitches ... but maybe more than 80ish if called for)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.