Sign in to follow this  
osb_tensor

Brendan McKay 2019 Outlook

17 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Would prefer MIA at home...oh well.

I like it. It shows the confidence they have in him. Maybe they'll keep him up this time. 

6 hours ago, rcarena said:

I wonder if they sent him down to basically do the minimum to stay stretched out and effective, so that they can actually use him as a viable SP. (Not 100+ pitches ... but maybe more than 80ish if called for)

Probably more bout options and sending him down allowed an extra arm to be carried for the bullpen.

Posted (edited)

Not starting for the Rays today; going with Kitteridge as the opener

edit: I thought today was Thursday. don't mind me! lol ---I realize now he is starting tomorrow vs Boston. sorry!

Edited by WTP333

7 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Probably more bout options and sending him down allowed an extra arm to be carried for the bullpen.

Yeah but it seems silly to waste his bullets this season at the MiLB level when the Rays are competing.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, smeeze said:

Yeah but it seems silly to waste his bullets this season at the MiLB level when the Rays are competing.

Yeah. My thought was they wanted to hold off on using him much for now, so they can actually count on him with a few less restrictions for the final weeks. Sending him down costs the MLB team 4 of his innings toward his cap, but it also doesn't tie Cash's hands for 2 weeks with a guy he can't really use. 

Edited by rcarena

3 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Is anyone contemplating using him tomorrow vs Boston? 

With Benintendi and Betts catching fire to go along with Martinez, Bogaerts, Devers, etc....

Definitely not worth the risk.

7 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Just now, Tommy Lee Jones said:

With Benintendi and Betts catching fire to go along with Martinez, Bogaerts, Devers, etc....

is McKay definitely starting tomorrow?

20 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

I did see someone post that Boston has been consistently been struggling vs rookie pitchers this year for some reason. Not sure if that’s entirely true but something to consider. No way am I sitting this guy though.

33 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I did see someone post that Boston has been consistently been struggling vs rookie pitchers this year for some reason. Not sure if that’s entirely true but something to consider. No way am I sitting this guy though.

I commend you for your courage.  I simply don’t have the guts to do it.  Kind of like how I benched Plesac vs the Astros yesterday.  Nice young pitcher going up against an unfairly stacked, World Series caliber lineup. 

I'm yoloing him today simply because my ratios are already effed this week courtesy of Luke Jackson.

I should add that Plesac’s FIP numbers are hot garbage in a 12 start sample size, but his minor league track record is really good, albeit not phenomenal like McKay.

21 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

As of right now, I have him in there because I don't have anybody else to put in instead of him, but I'm tempted to make the effort to get him out of there.  I like McKay obviously, but it's really rough with it being in Fenway.  Boston isn't as good against LHP (most teams aren't), but it would have been a lot better if it was in Tampa rather than Boston.

Posted (edited)

His only blemish was a 3/3, 2 homer game to Xander. Other than that, he was pretty good. Encouraging to see Cash allow him to throw 90 pitches. Really think we’re gonna see a strong finish to the season from this kid. I would think he should be up for good this time around. 

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

His only blemish was a 3/3, 2 homer game to Xander. Other than that, he was pretty good. Encouraging to see Cash allow him to throw 90 pitches. Really think we’re gonna see a strong finish to the season from this kid. I would think he should be up for good this time around. 

I sure hope so. Obnoxious if he's sent down. My fear is that Trevor Richards is being groomed to take his spot.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

His only blemish was a 3/3, 2 homer game to Xander. Other than that, he was pretty good

This kind of rationale is hilarious. Every single pitcher in baseball has tons of "pretty good" games if you dont count the 2 home runs hit off them.

I love McKay and think he has a bright future, but if you look at it objectively, the only good think about this game was his K:BB ratio. He gave up more hits than inning pitched, couldn't make it out of the 6th, and gave up 2 HR. Thats pretty mediocre, which was 100% expected given the matchup.

Edited by cs3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Got a win so I’m stoked 

Yep, I'll take that and the 7 strikeouts.  He's very poised on the mound.

Edited by Slimzy17
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cs3 said:

This kind of rationale is hilarious. Every single pitcher in baseball has tons of "pretty good" games if you dont count the 2 home runs hit off them.

I love McKay and think he has a bright future, but if you look at it objectively, the only good think about this game was his K:BB ratio. He gave up more hits than inning pitched, couldn't make it out of the 6th, and gave up 2 HR. Thats pretty mediocre, which was 100% expected given the matchup.

He gave up 7 hits, and 3 of them to Xander. That’s only 4 hits to the rest of the potent Sox lineup. What’s so “hilarious” about my statement? You don’t think 4 hits to the rest of the team is “pretty good?” 

Like I said, Xander had his number. And the 2nd HR, he had no business hitting that out. Pitch was up neck level. All you can do is tip your cap. 

Anyway when I see a pitching line where only 1 player does the damage and everyone else is held in check, while I may not like the final line I’m usually encouraged by the performance and feel optimism moving forward. If you watched any of the gane you’d probably feel optimistic too. 

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Like 5