tommyGunZ

Joey Cantilllo - SP San Diego Padres

Another gem emerging from the seemingly bottomless treasure chest that is the San Diego Padre organization.  19 old lefty dominating Class A ball at Ft Wayne to the tune of 82 Ks in 63 innings, yielding just 17 BBs, 33 hits, and a 1.71 ERA.  He’s 6-4 and 220, so a big projectable frame.  

Don’t sleep - the Friars love this guy.  You should too.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very intriguing to say the least.  Based off of the data you provided, there is nothing not to like.  Thanks for the tout 

10 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Info on pitch mix?

Wondering the same and haven't been able to find it...

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Info on pitch mix?

throws a 4 seam (with a very nice spin rate which leads to allot of tail action on it), changeup (2nd best pitch which has him making low a hitters look silly), Curveball and slider. He also throws a cutter but has been mostly focusing on the first 4 pitches mentioned above.  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets rid of his slider all together and focuses on developing his cutter more. 

Edited by JakeSarna
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JakeSarna said:

throws a 4 seam (with a very nice spin rate which leads to allot of tail action on it), changeup (2nd best pitch which has him making low a hitters look silly), Curveball and slider. He also throws a cutter but has been mostly focusing on the first 4 pitches mentioned above.  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets rid of his slider all together and focuses on developing his cutter more. 

Does anyone know about his velo?

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Does anyone know about his velo?

low 90s. the last few starts I saw on Twitter that he was sitting between 91-93mph. But he gets a lot of tailing action on his fastball which plays it up. He's 19 and has a nice frame.  I could see him adding 2-3 mph more to his FB in the next couple of years as he fills out and gets stronger (but that is not a given). As with all young pitchers, Cantillo is gonna have to improve his 3rd pitch.  He has a 4 pitch mix but his curveball and slider are both below average. Like I mentioned before, the development of his cutter is gonna be huge. 

Edited by JakeSarna

Heres his latest scouting report i found on MLB pipeline. It has his pitching grades but i believe hiura fastball and changeup actually grade higher currently and still have room for growth in his future projection. 

Scouting grades: Fastball: 45 | Curveball: 45 | Slider: 40 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 50 | Overall: 45

Under general manager A.J. Preller, the Padres have had success with mid-to-late round pitchers. Cantillo might be the latest steal. A 16th-round selection from Kailua High School in Hawaii, the left-hander was one of the youngest players in the 2017 Draft. He signed for fifth-round value at $302,500, and it's been money well spent for the Padres, who pried him from his Kentucky commitment.

As an 18-year-old in rookie ball in 2018, Cantillo struck out 58 hitters over 45 1/3 innings while notching a 2.18 ERA. He finished the year with a singular start at Class A Fort Wayne, and he opened the '19 campaign there, where he continued to post excellent strikeout numbers while limiting baserunners.

A 6-foot-4 lefty with an athletic frame, Cantillo's frame has projection. His delivery is somewhat quirky, but he repeats it easily, and he's honed his mechanics nicely since his arrival in pro ball. Cantillo's fastball sits around 90 mph with movement, and his changeup is an excellent complement. He'll need to improve his command of his breaking pitches, however.

From prospectslive :-

Joey Cantillo, LHP (SD)
Last 30: 27 IP, 35 K/5 BB, 0.67 ERA, 0.67 WHIP in A-ball

I’ve seen Cantillo pop up more and more in the last couple of weeks and for good reason. Not only has his season’s work been great but he’s entered a particularly dominant stretch. Cantillo is not a “stuff” guy. Hell, he’s not even a pedigree guy. The Padres took him in the 16th round of the 2017 draft out of Hawaii. I’m attracted to the frame, a 6-foot-4, 220-pound body that’s built to eat innings. I don’t see much projection left, which will bum you out when you realize he sits 89-91 on his fastball. But it has movement and it plays well off his changeup, an above-average pitch. His third offering is an average curveball but the coaching staff has pushed him to get vertical with the changeup more and lower the curve usage. It’s an interesting wrinkle that I’m not quite sure how to approach. A two-and-half-pitch pitcher who throws in the low 90s is a little unexciting, but the Padres are a superb organization with their pitching.

He has a weird grip on his change, almost a “vulcan” grip, per Enos Sardis.