nine9s

Royce Freeman 2019 Outlook

Posted (edited)

Mile High Sports news today:  https://milehighsports.com/training-camp-preview-three-storylines-to-keep-an-eye-on-at-broncos-practices/

Royce Freeman getting more work in the backfield than Phillip Lindsay:

Phillip Lindsay shocked the football world last season when he went from an undrafted, unknown prospect to being the face and star of Denver’s offense over the course of two and a half months.

Now, Lindsay is ready for an encore season but will likely come out of the gates slower than expected as he is still nursing the wrist injury he suffered in Week 16 last year. As training camp gets underway, watch for running back Royce Freeman to get the majority of his work with the first team and for that trend to continue into the preseason.

It’s widely expected that Freeman will get the majority of the team’s carries in 2019, while Lindsay still might get the majority of overall touches. Envision a situation similar to that of what Vic Fangiosaw every week in practice last year with the Bears.

Freeman will be the Broncos’ more dynamic and athletic version of Jordan Howard, while Lindsay takes on the mismatch nightmare role of a suped-up Tarik Cohen and is used heavily in the passing game.

Howard averaged almost 16 carries a game last season. If Freeman got 250 carries, as Jordan did, he would probably be in the 1100 yard rushing range with 30 receptions for 300 yards, and 10 TDs.

Edited by nine9s
  • Like 1

I personally think he is gonna be the lead back and be a nice flex play. I wanna grab Royce, rashaad penny, and Ronald Jones late everywhere in Hopes they can become lead backs.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2019 at 10:02 AM, nine9s said:

Freeman will get the majority of the team’s carries in 2019, while Lindsay still might get the majority of overall touches. 

? How does that even make any sense? 

Fluff and speculation here IMO. I know Freeman was dinged up, but my money stays on Lindsey until I hear something substantial. This could end up a 1a/1b thing too... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bomont said:
On 6/29/2019 at 9:02 AM, nine9s said:

It’s widely expected that Freeman will get the majority of the team’s carries in 2019, while Lindsay still might get the majority of overall touches.

Fluff and speculation here IMO. I know Freeman was dinged up, but my money stays on Lindsey until I hear something substantial. This could end up a 1a/1b thing too... 

it's a misprint. should have said,

freeman will get the majority of the backfield's hype, while lindsay will get the majority of the backfield's production.

phillip-lindsay.jpeg?quality=85&strip=al

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bomont said:
On 6/29/2019 at 10:02 AM, nine9s said:

Freeman will get the majority of the team’s carries in 2019, while Lindsay still might get the majority of overall touches.

Say you have 25 carries/game; say Freeman gets 15 of those vs Lindsay 10; say Freeman gets 4 recs; how many recs does Lindsay need to get the majority of touches?

VSPOUA.gif

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

My bad, I was equating touches to rushes. 

And I hate that I'm old enough to know who that guy above is. 

17 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Who is it? 

Looks like Charles Nelson Reilly to me.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, bomont said:

It is. So you're old too eh :)

Indeed. 

• Like 1

I reiterate what I said in the Lindsay thread... I think the Broncos O-Line has a chance to make the surprise jump to elite this year, the way the Colts did last year and the Rams the year before. Given how good I expect their defense to be, I expect them to do plenty of running and while I like Lindsay better, I think they’ll be able to sustain both RBs as fantasy viable. I wouldn’t be shocked by a Kamara/Ingram situation.

Report just came out that the coaches are extremely happy with Freeman and they really wanna do a 50/50 time share this year. I'd make the assumption freeman will get most if the redzone and goal line looks. Could be a nice steal for a flex and bye week rb

• Haha 1

he'll drop lindsays production for sure but with lindsay still around it looks like RB3/flex play this year

How does Theo Reddick signing affect his value? I think some of us were hoping to see him more involved in the passing game this year, but this signing really dampens that possibility. But ultimately Royce's path to flex value is some work between the 20s and GL carries so I don't think it really lowers his value very much.

After doing some research on this guy I'm starting to really come around on the Broncos RBs in general. The OC scrangerello uses the "Shanahan" system which is always favorable to RBs. The oline coach, Mike munchak is one of the 2 or 3 best oline coaches in football and the HC is a defensive oriented coach who wants to have strong defense and grind out some clock. He also wants to do a 50-50 split with Freeman and lindsay. 

Lindsay will probably still outperform Royce but Freeman is going pretty late in drafts and is near 240 lbs. You would assume he gets the goal line touches. He also a excelled as a pass catcher In college but I'd imagine lindsay will get most passing duty. 

If the 185 lb lindsay does get hurt again then Freeman could be in line for a great year. And at worst will probably be a good flex play that you can get later in drafts

On 8/1/2019 at 9:52 AM, Fierylady said:

I reiterate what I said in the Lindsay thread... I think the Broncos O-Line has a chance to make the surprise jump to elite this year, the way the Colts did last year and the Rams the year before. Given how good I expect their defense to be, I expect them to do plenty of running and while I like Lindsay better, I think they’ll be able to sustain both RBs as fantasy viable. I wouldn’t be shocked by a Kamara/Ingram situation.

I think the Broncos line will be improved but no where near elite. They also lack depth.

The Broncos are changing their blocking scheme to a more zone blocking. Last year the gap blocking scheme favored the more swift Lindsay. 

Freeman wasn't 100% healthy last year battling a high ankle sprang. 

I would absolutely fade Lindsay and take Freeman several rounds later.

3 minutes ago, mongidig said:

I think the Broncos line will be improved but no where near elite. They also lack depth.

True but so do the Colts and the Rams when they made their jumps to elite. Part of making that jump is staying healthy, I admit, I just think it’s impossible to predict injuries, so I don’t.

10 minutes ago, Fierylady said:

True but so do the Colts and the Rams when they made their jumps to elite. Part of making that jump is staying healthy, I admit, I just think it’s impossible to predict injuries, so I don’t.

I just don't think they have the personnel to be elite. Bolles is still a work in progress. Mcgovern is still transitioning to center.They lost matt Paradis who is one of the top centers in the league. I can see them being top 15 but not elite.

14 minutes ago, mongidig said:

I just don't think they have the personnel to be elite. Bolles is still a work in progress. Mcgovern is still transitioning to center.They lost matt Paradis who is one of the top centers in the league. I can see them being top 15 but not elite.

You would have likely said the same thing about the Colts last year (especially as they were coming off a five-year run of being one of the worst offensive lines in the league) and the Rams a couple of years back. That said, you are far more likely to be right than I am, I am simply saying it is within the realm of possibility. Every year one or two offensive line units improves vastly, and the Broncos tick all the boxes. Especially since they’re bringing in Munchak.

14 minutes ago, Fierylady said:

You would have likely said the same thing about the Colts last year (especially as they were coming off a five-year run of being one of the worst offensive lines in the league) and the Rams a couple of years back. That said, you are far more likely to be right than I am, I am simply saying it is within the realm of possibility. Every year one or two offensive line units improves vastly, and the Broncos tick all the boxes. Especially since they’re bringing in Munchak.

I agree it's a possibility. I just haven't seen evidence of it yet but it's early. Munchak is a massive upgrade as far as coaching goes. 

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Fierylady said:

We’ll see-  big changes plus unproven pieces up and down this denver offense.  Risner, James, McGovern(full time center), Munchak in..paradis and Watson out.  

This was an effective unit most of the season until Sanders/Lindsay went down and their offense took a dump.  To be better running the ball in 2019 would be an accomplishment indeed....

Edited by Impreza178

4 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

We’ll see-  big changes plus unproven pieces up and down this denver offense.  Risner, James, McGovern(full time center), Munchak in..paradis and Watson out.  

This was a very effective unit most of the season until Sanders/Lindsay went down and their offense took a dump.  To be better running the ball in 2019 would be an accomplishment indeed....

I thought James was great in Miami, and McGovern played so well replacing Paradis at center they let the latter go. Risner is an unknown for sure but so was Quenton Nelson in Indy last year and he pretty much proved to be the reason they turned it around so much. Risner is unlikely to have that sort of effect but he can be a major upgrade (he was my favorite interior lineman in the draft, personally). Munchak is widely considered the best or 2nd-best o-line coach in the league, that can only help. It’s also within the realm of possibility that Fangio gets that defense playing at an elite level, making the running game even more viable.

I’m not predicting all of this to happen, I’m saying given what we’ve seen the past couple of years with dramatic o-line improvement and looking at the factors that caused that improvement, Denver ticks the most boxes. I’d be least surprised if they turned out to be excellent, let’s say.

• Like 2