JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

Posted (edited)

Tom Caron of NESN reporting that sources have told him Red Sox will be converting Nate Eovaldi to closer when he returns to the IL. Hopefully will provide some clarity in that dumpster fire....

[Ed: Looks like a good post to christen the July Closer thread.]

Edited by tonycpsu
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, JameisofThrones said:

Tom Caron of NESN reporting that sources have told him Red Sox will be converting Nate Eovaldi to closer when he returns to the IL. Hopefully will provide some clarity in that dumpster fire....

As a Sox fan, it would be nice to have some stability back there, but I worry about the wear and tear on his fragile arm coming out of the bullpen. (Plus, the rotation kind of needs him, too)

Just now, JameisofThrones said:

As a Sox fan, it would be nice to have some stability back there, but I worry about the wear and tear on his fragile arm coming out of the bullpen. (Plus, the rotation kind of needs him, too)

When is he expected back?

3 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

As opposed to his wear and tear as a starter?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Think 60 day DL has him out until mid month. 

He was supposed to be back around now but a minor setback pushed the time table to after the break. Currently rehabbing but guessing that it won't take him as long to build up arm strength if he is being used out of the pen.

11 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

That is interesting and Caron is the pre and post game host on NESN that John Henry/Red Sox owns so it could well be true. 

But if true it is probably because they are really worried about his arm right now and fear using him as a starter because as much as the bullpen has been a dumpster fire the fill-ins for Eovaldi's spot in the rotation have been more than putrid aka just as bad or worse.  And sometimes they are the same arms that suck in the bullpen asa well.

But I guess they decided he can't handle more than about an inning at a time due to his arm's condition.

3 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

As opposed to his wear and tear as a starter?

I guess its debatable what puts more stress on your arm, 110 pitches every five days or pitching 15-20 three or four times a week. I would be hesitant to use him in back-to-backs with his arm history. I could see them using him as a multiple inning guy to shut down games, then stay away from him the next night,

Nay, Eovaldi would be the closer.  He has the stuff for it.  Not a Hader type which would be far worse for his arm.  If he pitched multiple innings he would stay a starter.

Also, I see Jose Alvarado got the Save for TB tonight.

• Like 1

Tweet says Eovaldi will close when he’s healthy.   What year will that be in?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Alvarado converts a clean save after Pagan setting him up. Maybe this is a glimpse of the pecking order going forward? Or still 50/50?

Just now, bigboyish said:

Alvarado converts a clean save after Pagan setting him up. Maybe this is a glimpse of the pecking order going forward? Or still 50/50?

Castillo due to be activated on Friday, and it looks like he will, so you can probably throw him back into the mix as well

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JameisofThrones said:

Castillo due to be activated on Friday, and it looks like he will, so you can probably throw him back into the mix as well

W the Rays having been a lil shaky as of late this might be time for some continuity and consistency...if Alvarado strings together another chance or two this week he could reclaim the closer belt...Castillo n Pagan will be there but the way Cash was chattin Alvarado up I think its more 67%-33% if not more JA's job to lose for the time being...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

He will what?  Pitch the 7th or the 8th because he was terrible before his injury.

Multiple sources have told NESN’s Tom Caron that Nathan Eovaldi will serve as the closer for the Red Sox when he returns from the injured list. They also told Caron that he will serve as a traditional closer, and not as part of a bullpen-by-committee. ...

In addition to helping the bullpen, the Red Sox believe bringing Eovaldi back as a reliever will get him back on the roster sooner, meaning they won’t have to wait for him to get stretched out in multiple starts over a long rehab stint.

There you go.  A traditional closer.  Almost an extinct species comes back alive.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He will what?  Pitch the 7th or the 8th because he was terrible before his injury.

Was he terrible before the injury or terrible because of the injury? He had a 1.59 ERA on May 29 and it was still 2.48 with a WHIP of 1.13 before his last two appearances bloated it to 3.93/1.31 -- then they shelved him. Was likely pitching hurt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

That is interesting and Caron is the pre and post game host on NESN that John Henry/Red Sox owns so it could well be true. 

But if true it is probably because they are really worried about his arm right now and fear using him as a starter because as much as the bullpen has been a dumpster fire the fill-ins for Eovaldi's spot in the rotation have been more than putrid aka just as bad or worse.  And sometimes they are the same arms that suck in the bullpen asa well.

But I guess they decided he can't handle more than about an inning at a time due to his arm's condition.

They must feel ok about his arm to announce his role two weeks before he gets back.  If they were worried about it, you'd think they'd ease him back in with some low leverage spots.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

[Ed: Looks like a good post to christen the July Closer thread.]

And this post deserves more likes. 

1.  Breaks news of a closer

2.  A closer being announced weeks in advance.

3.  Not even part of a committee

4.  On a good team.

5.  One that I can stash in a DL spot.

6.  And with good stuff.

This is kind of unheard of.

Edited by 89Topps
  • Like 5

Yikes. I wouldn’t drop Liam just yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As a Smith owner, I am guessing Dyson is a must own with all the trade winds blowing so hard and his name all over the place

5 minutes ago, CharlesHustle said:

As a Smith owner, I am guessing Dyson is a must own with all the trade winds blowing so hard and his name all over the place

Watson has been pitching the 8th, while Dyson has been getting the 7th lately. That usage might suggest that he’s next in line. Personally I think all 3 will be wearing new uniforms in a month.

11 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

Apparently Cash now indicating that Castillo's return is being pushed back to first series after the break. Would be nice to see Alvarado get a couple more saves in than time and maybe solidify the role a little, although that doesn't seem to be the way the Rays operate.

San Francisco, I'd probably grab either Melancon or Moronta.  Dyson, Watson, Smith all should get dealt if the Giants can get anything for them.

12 hours ago, 89Topps said:

They must feel ok about his arm to announce his role two weeks before he gets back.  If they were worried about it, you'd think they'd ease him back in with some low leverage spots.

(Eovaldi)  Why two weeks?  Maybe right after the All Star break.  I mean they said part of the reason is they wouldn't have to stretch him out over a number of rehab games.  Stretch him out as a starter and it would be a lot longer.  Have him throw one inning in a few games in a row and he is ready to roll.

The injury he was playing through effected his control, never ever his velo which was up hitting a hundred since day one this season.  And no one in the Sox bullpen has any control at this point so why not put him in at closer right away.  He is a big boy, not some green rookie.  He has proven in the stretch drive and playoffs he actually flourishes in crucial situations on the mound unlike Matt Barnes.

So he can't do any worse and he can do a lot better so no reason to baby him.  In fact he probably would hate being babied.  If he has to move from starter to the bullpen for the good of the team for the rest of the year  he sure as hell doesn't want to pitch middle innings.  He wants the ball in the 9th.

Take what you want from these Alex Cora quotes, but it looks like Eovaldi's role is going to be fluid,,,,

“We’ve been talking about Eovaldi to the pen for the last few weeks, for him to contribute as soon as possible it makes sense for everyone. It’s been an ongoing dialog the last 15 days, he gave us his blessing. We are not closing the door on him starting later this season.”

“We’re about to find out if he is built for high leverage situations, this is a new role for him. Eovaldi will embrace it. We will take care of him. Funny, everyone is saying closer…but he’ll help in the bullpen. Haven’t made that decision.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3