JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

1 hour ago, Dislimb said:

Heath Hembree gets the save for Boston today. Anything to see here?

Well he came into the game and he pitched.  That's what I saw.  😎

It was his second appearance since returning from the IL and his last chance to get in work in a game before the All Star break.  He didn't look all that good which means he is on par with everyone else tin Boston's pen but he got the Save.

His velocity isn't back up all the way but close.  He is considered an end of the bullpen guy with about 4 or 5 others all of whom run around with sweaty, longish beards.  Given how bad they have been doing maybe they should hold a "shave circle" to change the mojo.

24 minutes ago, rcarena said:

I don't see Kennedy traded only because of his contract. Doubt he'd be at the top of many teams' lists, though he has been effective. 

You're right, his contract is definitely a hindrance. Not quite as bad as Melancon but with another year after this one at $16.5 it will limit their options. Will have to either find someone that is basically willing take him for a bag of balls just to dump the money, or eat a significant portion if they want to get any kind of return. But I think they will be willing to do either if they find right team since they have basically found lightning in a bottle with him as a reliever so its probably now or never to move him.

17 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well he came into the game and he pitched.  That's what I saw.  😎

It was his second appearance since returning from the IL and his last chance to get in work in a game before the All Star break.  He didn't look all that good which means he is on par with everyone else tin Boston's pen but he got the Save.

His velocity isn't back up all the way but close.  He is considered an end of the bullpen guy with about 4 or 5 others all of whom run around with sweaty, longish beards.  Given how bad they have been doing maybe they should hold a "shave circle" to change the mojo.

To be fair,  hembree has only given up 2 earned runs in his last 19.1 innings 

like I said earlier, nobody has run and claimed the role as of yet..lol

Without DL spots I am thinking Alvarado is just a drop, am I wrong?

He has looked so out of control since the return and even is healthy I guess it looks to be a 60/40 split at best

2 minutes ago, henchforlife said:

Without DL spots I am thinking Alvarado is just a drop, am I wrong?

He has looked so out of control since the return and even is healthy I guess it looks to be a 60/40 split at best

This is my thinking too. Especially if this oblique injury is 6 weeks. 

Castillo back right after the break. He or Pagan will share duties unless one of them runs with it. Of course the rays could make a trade for a closer . But who ? Greene? Giles ? Trienen ?

4 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

This is my thinking too. Especially if this oblique injury is 6 weeks. 

Yeah ab and RP seems to be a death nill

I am out, he gone! I mean it is not like he was killing it anyway and the ceiling was capped due to TB and the pen management

2 hours ago, CraftyRighty said:

Yeah ab and RP seems to be a death nill

I am out, he gone! I mean it is not like he was killing it anyway and the ceiling was capped due to TB and the pen management

I am going to take a shot on Hembree at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, motown magic said:

Castillo back right after the break. He or Pagan will share duties unless one of them runs with it. Of course the rays could make a trade for a closer . But who ? Greene? Giles ? Trienen ?

In addition to Castillo and Pagan I think Colin Poche may also be an option 

15 hours ago, Dislimb said:

Heath Hembree gets the save for Boston today. Anything to see here?

Boston said Nathan Eovaldi will be the closer once he returns.

Greg Holland with the save. is it worth holding onto Hirano or Lopez? with a 4-0 lead yesterday Hirano pitched the 7th.

this tweet says Twins are in on both Brad Hand and Kirby Yates.

I've heard Yates, and Giles.

Indians are now only 5.5 games back, likely not trading Hand as of now.

Padres are only 2 games back int he wold card. would they trade Yates?

I see this just updated today..

http://rotoprofessor.com/trade-deadline-primer-looking-at-the-closers-who-could-be-dealt-who-could-replace-them/

High Likely To Be Dealt

Ken Giles – Toronto Blue Jays
Next Up – Daniel Hudson

Updated 07/08/19 – The last time we checked in Giles was on the IL, but he’s since returned and pitched well in the process (over 6.0 IP he’s allowed 2 ER on 3 H and 2 BB, striking out 11). It just re-enforces the likelihood that he gets dealt prior to the deadline, perhaps to a team looking to improve their bridge to their established closer, as he’s a key piece for the Blue Jays to help further their rebuild. As for who steps in after the trade Hudson appears to have emerged (2.72 ERA) over Joe Biagni, making him the pitcher to stash.

Previous – He’s currently on the Injured List, but there’s been talk that he won’t need to miss much time and therefore will become a highly sought out commodity.  The Blue Jays are trying to build towards the future and considering how successful he’s been this season (1.08 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, 42 K over 25.0 IP) he could be sought after as a setup man for a winning team.

Mychal Givens – Baltimore Orioles
Next Up – Paul Fry

Updated 07/08/19 – You could argue that Givens isn’t even “the man” right now, with Fry picking up the most recent save. He’s the name to stash in case of a trade, though whoever fills the role won’t hold much value given the limited number of opportunities.

Previous – Givens has had his moments, but he also has generally failed to impress (5.28 ERA, 1.38 WHIP).  He is arguably the best bullpen arm Baltimore has and the team is clearly in a deep rebuild, so they likely will be willing to move him for a potential future piece.

Will Smith – San Francisco Giants
Next Up – Tony Watson/Sam Dyson/Mark Melancon

Updated 07/08/19 – Rumors are beginning to swirl that any of the Giants’ veteran relievers could be moved before the deadline. It’s hard to envision all four being traded, but it’s not impossible (which would open the door for Reyes Moronta. Our guess would be at least one sticks in San Francisco, but unfortunately we’ll have to wait and see how things play out.

Previous – It seems like a foregone conclusion that Smith gets dealt ahead of the deadline.  He’s left-handed, a free agent at year’s end and pitches for a team clearly undergoing a rebuild.  He will likely be one of the most sought after commodities and the Giants should be able to extract significant value in return.

Possible Trade Candidates

Alex Colome – Chicago White Sox                
Next Up – Aaron Bummer

Colome will be arbitration eligible and is getting paid $7.325 million before thriving in the closers role.  That could make him a candidate to be dealt for a rebuilding team, but at the same time how many more young pieces does Chicago need?  They seem to want to turn the corner and compete, and having a locked in closer could be an important part of that.

Shane Greene – Detroit Tigers
Next Up – Joe Jimenez

Updated 07/08/19 – There are rumors surfacing that Jimenez could be traded as well, which could really bring turmoil to the Detroit bullpen. If both Jimenez and Greene are traded maybe Buck Farmer gets an opportunity?

Previous – The Tigers had the option to trade Greene last year, but ultimately decided to hold onto him.  Will they move him this time around?  It will depend on the type of return that they can get, as well as how comfortable they are with Jimenez assuming the role.

Raisel Iglesias – Cincinnati Reds
Next Up – Michael Lorenzen

He was signed to an extension prior to ’19 and one that is fairly cost efficient moving forward (he’ll earn $9 million in ’20 and $9.125 in ’21).  That could make him an intriguing trade piece for a contender, though it also will raise the price tag.  We’ve heard his name bandied about before and the Reds have opted to hold onto him, and they also made an effort to turn the corner with veteran additions this offseason.  That makes you think that they think they can compete in short-order. You also could argue that he’s already out of the closers role, though that remains to be seen.

Ian Kennedy – Kansas City Royals
Next Up – Jake Diekman

Updated 07/08/19 – Kennedy has been moved down from “Highly Likely to be Dealt”, and it’s more based on his contract than anything. He’s owed $16.5 million in 2020, and while he’s looked good in a relief role that’s a hefty sum for any team to take on (especially since he’d be dealt to a contender, who may be looking to him to be used as a setup man). The Royals would need to eat a significant amount of the money owed to broker a deal, making it harder to envision.

Previous – Kennedy’s transition to the bullpen is going well, with 38 K vs. 5 BB over 29.0 IP.  He’s settled into the closers role for the Royals, though that likely only enhances his potential allure to an opposing team.  With bullpen arms always in high demand, the Royals likely could strike and get some reward for what appeared to be a previously useless piece.

Sergio Romo – Miami Marlins
Next Up – Nick Anderson/Tayron Guerrero

Romo is a free agent at the end of the year, and that alone is going to limit the return they get offered.  The Marlins may also prefer to keep Romo as opposed to turning things over to a younger option, helping to keep costs down later on in arbitration.

Long Shot Candidates

Sean Doolittle – Washington Nationals
Next Up – Fernando Rodney

If Doolittle were an impending free agent it would seem much more likely that a trade would happen.  That said Doolittle has a team friendly option for 2020 ($6.5 million) and you know Washington will have World Series aspirations next season.  Trying to find a replacement a few months from now doesn’t make sense, unless they get overwhelmed with an offer.

Brad Hand – Cleveland Indians
Next Up – Nick Wittgren

Are the Indians ready to start turning the page and looking towards a rebuild?  There has been talk that they’d be willing to listen on Hand, but for a team that’s always looking to compete it seems hard to envision.

Felipe Vazquez – Pittsburgh Pirates
Next Up – Kyle Crick/Francisco Liriano

Maybe he’s a luxury, but he’s one signed to a team friendly contract ($5.25 million in ’20, $7.25 in ’21 as well as options in ’22 and ’23).  That brings valuable stability for a team that features a young rotation, and that’s something that can’t easily be replaced.

Kirby Yates – San Diego Padres
Next Up – Craig Stammen

The Padres could probably get a bounty for Yates, but already owning one of the deepest farm systems in baseball is there a real benefit in moving him for potential future pieces?  The signing of Manny Machado shows that they are looking to win sooner rather than later, and Yates should be a part of that.

Edwin Diaz – New York Mets
Next Up – Seth Lugo

Added 07/08/19 – With the Mets’ looking at a lost season and many pointing to the trade to acquire Diaz and Robinson Cano as a significant mistake, there’s speculation that Diaz could be moved. That’s extremely hard to believe, but it’s not impossible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Boston said Nathan Eovaldi will be the closer once he returns.

That was the front office.  Now Cora says he has a "plan" for Eovaldi but isn't giving it away he said.  Aka he has no idea what Eovaldi will do and wants to keep his options open.  Could be closer, could be fireman, could be slowly stretched to return to rotation.  Hell, a currently un-stretched Eovaldi could even be used as an "opener" since his spot in the rotation since he has been out has been a bigger dumpster fire than the bullpen even featuring a bunch of totally inept fill-ins.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Stammen seems like the consensus next man up if Yates is dealt.

ALOT of reports about giles more than likely being dealt...who do we like as "next up" if that happens

hudson or biagini?

my lean is hudson

12 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

ALOT of reports about giles more than likely being dealt...who do we like as "next up" if that happens

hudson or biagini?

my lean is hudson

I've seen Hudson, multiple times.  Biagini, zero.

1 hour ago, bigboyish said:

Stammen seems like the consensus next man up if Yates is dealt.

Taylor Rogers has been lights out as the closer. Are the Twins looking to acquire them as closers or a bridge to Taylor?

19 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Alvarado our 6-8 weeks. An obvious cut now. 

Castillo or Pagan?

4 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

Taylor Rogers has been lights out as the closer. Are the Twins looking to acquire them as closers or a bridge to Taylor?

As nice as he has been Rogers will for sure be demoted to set-up man.

3 minutes ago, tekashi26ix said:

Castillo or Pagan?

good question

24 minutes ago, bigboyish said:

As nice as he has been Rogers will for sure be demoted to set-up man.

With the way Rocco manages, I could see him using Rogers still. He is in the camp of using the best reliever when necessary. If they get Giles and say Stanton, Judge, Sanchez are due up in the 8th of a close game, he would have no issue using Giles in the 8th.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

With the way Rocco manages, I could see him using Rogers still. He is in the camp of using the best reliever when necessary. If they get Giles and say Stanton, Judge, Sanchez are due up in the 8th of a close game, he would have no issue using Giles in the 8th.

But Rogers is a good enough reliever to take care of the top of the order on any team IMO. I can see him getting chances if there are lefties coming up in the 9th and that's about it. You're right though, Rocco has been pretty unpredictable.

Edited by bigboyish

47 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

If it's Giles he's likely just part of the mix. 

If it's Yates he's likely the guy. 

44 minutes ago, tekashi26ix said:

Castillo or Pagan?

In a saves or holds league obviously roster both. 

In a saves only league I am going Pagan for the time being but it most likely will end up being a frustrating mix of both of them. 

• Thanks 1

Indians are currently a playoff team. 

SD is only 2.5 games back.

CWS are getting better and want to contend next year.   

I think all those clubs would have to completely collapse or be blown away to deal their closer.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

That was the front office.  Now Cora says he has a "plan" for Eovaldi but isn't giving it away he said.  Aka he has no idea what Eovaldi will do and wants to keep his options open.  Could be closer, could be fireman, could be slowly stretched to return to rotation.  Hell, a currently un-stretched Eovaldi could even be used as an "opener" since his spot in the rotation since he has been out has been a bigger dumpster fire than the bullpen even featuring a bunch of totally inept fill-ins.

They probably do want him to be a closer - I would think if Eovaldi agreed to go into relief, that would make it a bit more palatable for him, and there is no set guy - but we've seen this before with managers all over. They'll not commit to anything unless they're certain, because they want options. If he says Eovaldi's the closer, then if he fails or looks shaky, or if Boston finds a guy right now, or etc. etc. etc., he doesn't have to walk it back publicly.