JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

11 hours ago, Hatfieldodger said:

Dropping all my closers except Yates and Vazquez

Hansel is so hot right now though.  Only one run allowed since June 1st.  Let’s show him some love.

• Like 5

Baez or Kelly might technically be "next in line" in LA, but I definitely see Urias getting the next save chance. He's been beyond lights out, has a couple of saves already, and doesn't appear to be getting stretched out for starting role.

Urias has very few appearances of less than 2 innings. I highly doubt they'd have him close just because they're still very hopeful he'll be an ace or #2 level starter.

they're not yanking Jansen out of the closer role relax yall until you see more blowups

6 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

they're not yanking Jansen out of the closer role relax yall until you see more blowups

I think there may be concern about a possible injury, not getting pulled from the role because of performance. Something was said last night about taking a shot off the foot and it feeling numb after the game...or something. I’m too lazy to go back and look right now. Lol. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

I think there may be concern about a possible injury, not getting pulled from the role because of performance. Something was said last night about taking a shot off the foot and it feeling numb after the game...or something. I’m too lazy to go back and look right now. Lol. 

Yea he took a Liner off the foot, said he probably shouldn't have stayed in because he couldn't really push off like he normally does due to pain cause ya know, it hurts hah

which also explains why he was getting hit more as that was the first batter of the inning

i repeat relaxxxxx fellas, i highly doubt dude fractured anything on that liner and thats worst case and the only concern anyone should have, as not being able to push off explains why he was hit so performance isnt an issue in this case

Edited by kmoore1521

2 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Yea he took a Liner off the foot, said he probably shouldn't have stayed in because he couldn't really push off like he normally does due to pain cause ya know, it hurts hah

which also explains why he was getting hit more as that was the first batter of the inning

i repeat relaxxxxx fellas, i highly doubt dude fractured anything on that liner and thats worst case and the only concern anyone should have, as not being able to push off explains why he was hit so performance isnt an issue in this case

A 10-day IL stint for a team 14 games up in the NL West isn’t out of the question. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

A 10-day IL stint for a team 14 games up in the NL West isn’t out of the question. 

most definitely however in which case there would need to be a few save opps to figure out who even is the guy, so you gotta speculate on a few diff options wasting adds and roster spots, and then if you wait, by the time you add the guy seemingly taking over you might get one save out of it (probably missed another one as you were waiting to see who the add was) before Jansen would return

just doesnt seem like a fruitful endeavor for save chasers imo, much rather use the spot on a takeover candidate for a trade especially in h2h, roto i could see maybe just because every save counts but even then i wouldnt waste my energy on the LAD situation expecting saves

Edited by kmoore1521

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Pre-Deadline Recap or my take at least

ARZ - Holland and a bunch of trash, dont see much changing at the deadline

ATL - Cool Luke Jackson gots it ROS i think

BAL - Avoid - committee on bad team

BOS - looks like eovaldi

CHW - Colome and id be watching ole Bummer if hes dealt, prob my top RP add if the sox sell 

CIN - headcase Iglesias comin at ya, no movement at the deadline 

CLE - Hand and i do not think they sell him

COL - Davis and Oberg, everyone wants Oberg to get it but we will see, both probably owned already

DET - Greene if hes traded Jimenez is the only guy who seems to make sense as the replacement

KC - Doubt kennedy gets moved with that contract, i see them moving diekman 

LAA - our boy Hansel staying hot, should be solid ROS

MIA - if Romo is dealt id speculate on nick anderson i guess, not a lot of options there

MIN - Rodgers but i can see them dealing for a closer easily

NYM - cant see them dealing Edwin after all they gave up in that deal, the SP's are whos moving on the Mets

OAK - Hendriks ROS

PHI - Neris and i doubt they deal for a RP

SD - could deal yates but i dont think so

SEA - strickland once hes back gets it

SF - Wil Smith is def getting dealt, if Dyson stays id want him if both dealt its moronta for me

STL - Cmart ROS i think

TB - yikes id avoid, its castillo and pagan but they need to deal for an arm

TEX - think kelley keeps it ROS but leclerc is always looming i suppose

TOR - Giles if hes dealt id go D-hudson as the add

Take all this FWIW just my 2 cents on what im thinking could happen, Giles - Wil Smith - Colome - Greene are the top RP's with best chance to get dealt IMO, any other RP i wouldnt be too confident they get moved with TB - MIN - BOS - ATL  being the most need heavy teams for a nice RP that would become the clear closer

Quality assessment. My only gripe is that I wouldn't call Yoan Lopez trash. Outside of a couple of recent solo HRs he has been pretty good and looks firmly entrenched in the eighth and poised to take over if something happens to Holland -- trade, injury or ineffectiveness. Much like SF, the DBacks have gotten hot at the right time, or wrong time depending on your perspective, and are in trade deadline purgatory. But if they are listening to offers on Robbie Ray, as has been reported, surely they would move Holland. And right before the break Holland was one more blown save away from getting the boot.

Edited by JameisofThrones
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

nobody is saying he is getting yanked because of last nights blowup...he is as safe as anyone in the league

people are worried because he got drilled by a linedrive in the foot for the 1st out of the inning last night

3 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Blast from March, but Hunter Strickland is throwing 'impressive' pens and should head out on a rehab assignment shortly. Have to believe they give him the closer role soon after his return? I am sure DiP will trade Elias and anything else he can from the pen too...

have had him stashed in an IL spot all season, i hope he takes the gig back...lol

2 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

most definitely however in which case there would need to be a few save opps to figure out who even is the guy, so you gotta speculate on a few diff options wasting adds and roster spots, and then if you wait, by the time you add the guy seemingly taking over you might get one save out of it (probably missed another one as you were waiting to see who the add was) before Jansen would return

just doesnt seem like a fruitful endeavor for save chasers imo, much rather use the spot on a takeover candidate for a trade especially in h2h, roto i could see maybe just because every save counts but even then i wouldnt waste my energy on the LAD situation expecting saves

Are you serious? Of course it's a fruitful endeavor for save chasers to pick up the interim closer for one of the best teams in baseball.

Saying "relaaxxx" as if Jansen's backup is irrelevant or unimportant to this thread is ridiculous when such information is actually the entire point of this thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Are you serious? Of course it's a fruitful endeavor for save chasers to pick up the interim closer for one of the best teams in baseball.

Saying "relaaxxx" as if Jansen's backup is irrelevant or unimportant to this thread is ridiculous when such information is actually the entire point of this thread.

- No Clear 2nd option (ive seen urias baez etc mentioned)

- youll be wasting a roster spot/add speculating, which then leads to the possibility you get the wrong guy anyway 

- only relevant if Jansen goes to IL which unless its a fracture or some, will be a very short stay anyway

- and if you do try and wait to see who takes over youll probably miss a save assuming they get an opp, then maybe get another 1 or 2 also assuming they get an opp, and then boom Jansen is back

- Jansen has gotten 2 save opps since 6/20 so nearly a month for 2 opportunities (yes saves come in bunches some time and you cant predict them really)

- Hence i arrive at my rationale of not seeing much use in a short term fill if Jansen even needs a 10 day IL stint (which i dont think he does)

Just expressing my opinion that people chasing saves are better suited to use their resources elsewhere, sorry if you disagree

• Like 1

RE: Padres 

I could absolutely see Yates being moved.  It is the right move.  Padres are fading by the day.

They might be contenders for a Wild Card spot but are they really going to go deep in the playoffs?

They might not move him unless the price is right (npi).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmoore1521 said:

- No Clear 2nd option (ive seen urias baez etc mentioned)

- youll be wasting a roster spot/add speculating, which then leads to the possibility you get the wrong guy anyway 

- only relevant if Jansen goes to IL which unless its a fracture or some, will be a very short stay anyway

- and if you do try and wait to see who takes over youll probably miss a save assuming they get an opp, then maybe get another 1 or 2 also assuming they get an opp, and then boom Jansen is back

- Jansen has gotten 2 save opps since 6/20 so nearly a month for 2 opportunities (yes saves come in bunches some time and you cant predict them really)

- Hence i arrive at my rationale of not seeing much use in a short term fill if Jansen even needs a 10 day IL stint (which i dont think he does)

Just expressing my opinion that people chasing saves are better suited to use their resources elsewhere, sorry if you disagree

While I agree that Baez likely isn't the top add over some of these stash guys in hopes their current closer is traded, I do think that there could be value in some leagues by adding Baez (I think he's the guy based on usage if Jansen misses time) even if he were to give you a just a save or two. It's just completely dependent on team/league settings and makeup. If you're in a tight weekly h2h matchup in which you need an extra save to win the cat he could be a good add and the same goes for anyone in a tight race for that cat in a season long roto. It just depends. 

2 hours ago, B&F said:

RE: Padres 

I could absolutely see Yates being moved.  It is the right move.  Padres are fading by the day.

They might be contenders for a Wild Card spot but are they really going to go deep in the playoffs?

They might not move him unless the price is right (npi).

Having him next year wouldn't suck though,  and they're on the rise.  I doubt he gets moved. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Having him next year wouldn't suck though,  and they're on the rise.  I doubt he gets moved. 

Did you remember to say Amen after that prayer?

If by "on the rise" you mean less of a disaster than last year, I guess you're right. Last year they were the worst team in the league, aside from the Marlins. So far this year they've added the Reds, Pirates, and Mets to that list.

Personally, it seems clear to me they should sell because they certainly shouldn't be buying. Now, who they sell and for how much is another question. But they're obviously not buyers at this point in my opinion.

Posted (edited)

Trying to figure out who might get the call with Neris on the shelf and its kind of a mess. Closer Monkey says JD Hammer next in line so I do a little investigating and out of 19 appearances this year he has pitched exactly once with Phily in the lead by three runs or less (and it was in the seventh). Needless to say I'm skeptical....

Edited by JameisofThrones
  • Thanks 1

So I sit Neris for May today...

Actually Neris appealed. So he's available tonight. Maybe they want him to be available vs. the Dodgers tonight and tomorrow and then drop the appeal for the series @PIT 

1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

Did you remember to say Amen after that prayer?

If by "on the rise" you mean less of a disaster than last year, I guess you're right. Last year they were the worst team in the league, aside from the Marlins. So far this year they've added the Reds, Pirates, and Mets to that list.

Personally, it seems clear to me they should sell because they certainly shouldn't be buying. Now, who they sell and for how much is another question. But they're obviously not buyers at this point in my opinion.

The Padres have a young team and one of the best farm systems in baseball. They're very much on the rise.

At 4 games under .500 they're unlikely to make the playoffs this year, but next year looks fairly promising. Yates still has one more arbitration year and if they sell him now, they probably end up paying more to a free agent closer to replace him. It also doesn't make much sense to sell because they don't need more prospects. They have a lot of promising minor leaguers blocked as it is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1