JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

Is it normal to already have a boner at the thought of Eovaldi saving some games this weekend 

1 minute ago, Kramjam24 said:

Is it normal to already have a boner at the thought of Eovaldi saving some games this weekend 

Yes.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Lol..NO

11 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

No. Eovaldi will the be the closer.

Lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Right.  Only...he has.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Right.  Only...he has.

Well,  obviously he filled a bullpen role in the postseason, but 152 of his 160 career appearances in the regular season have been starts, so he has no extensive experience as a reliever. (And I am not a Pete Abe fan so not trying to defend him, but it is true for the most part)

Edited by JameisofThrones
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Well,  obviously he filled a bullpen role in the postseason, but 152 of his 160 career appearances in the regular season have been starts, so he has no extensive experience as a reliever. (And I am not a Pete Abe fan so not trying to defend him, but it is true for the most part)

I hear you.  It just seemed a bit odd that Pete would overlook his most important role on the team to date.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Lol..NO

Well, with the news this afternoon, I’m glad I got Workman for $1 yesterday.

59 minutes ago, BklynBlue said:

Enjoy you new set-up guy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Luke Jackson may be back on the bubble...

Painfully obvious who's stashed Eovaldi in here.

God forbid we try to be objective in here.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, GriffeySwag said:

Agree. I think if BOS can keep winning, it could obviously give both guys a good amount of save chances. 

Thoughts on Pagan? Does he start to take more save opportunities or is TB closer role a toss up?

Anyone picking up / stashing Strickland?

Edited by DarinB300

55 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Luke Jackson may be back on the bubble...

If he doesn't get thing straightened out soon, Carlos Martinez might be too.  Yet another ugly appearance tonight, even though he converted again.

2 hours ago, BklynBlue said:

Does your league count holds?

I'm an Eovaldi owner, and a Sox fan, and I wouldn't be dropping Workman anytime soon. Every time the subject comes up, Cora seems to go out of his way to avoid terming Eovaldi as a closer, just saying that he gives them another option late in games. Just my opinion, but I think that Cora still believes that managing the bullpen by matchups and what part of the order is coming up can still work and that he just didn't have the personnel to pull it off. If Judge and Sanchez are coming up in the eighth in a one-run game, I don't think that Cora is going to hold back Eovaldi for the ninth because he is the "closer" if he thinks that he best option to face those guys.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GriffeySwag said:

Or who stashed Workman more like it.  Cora is playing the diplomat but the plan has been and still is that Eovaldi will close barring going back to back at first.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Does your league count holds?

No, saves.  With Cora's failure to anoint E, the closer, upon his return, I think it will be Workman for the foreseeable future.  If that is not the case, I can always drop him.  

• Like 1

Anyone holding out for Castillo still over Pagan?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Or who stashed Workman more like it.  Cora is playing the diplomat but the plan has been and still is that Eovaldi will close barring going back to back at first.

Eovaldi will be injured in a week. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Nice night for 2 of my boys kimbrel and kenley..2 innings, 2 saves, and 6 punch outs 

Yes it was.

What I read from numerous posters your kenley supposed to go on the 10 day IL 

You have to wonder what would the Sox record be if they had a legitimate closer. lol 

• Like 1

Re: the Eovaldi/Workman discussion, I own neither. And the issue is not each “side” making their case, which often happens. The difference I see is the Eovaldi owners proclaiming things definitively—“Eovaldi WILL be the closer. ZERO chance for Workman.” That’s just false, and anyone who’s played this game for more than a season knows this. 

It may well be that Eovaldi ends up the closer. It may be 90% likely. But we all know things can change quickly. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CraftyRighty said:

Anyone holding out for Castillo still over Pagan?

I am.  Only cuz there is nothing else on the wire.  Personally I think that teams closer situation blows for fantasy.  If they had Mo Rivera they'd probably bring him into a game in the 6th and then bust out a dart board to figure out who'd close when the 9th came along.

• Haha 1

I don't think the Redsox are sticking their $68 million man in the bullpen to set up, or pitch the in the 6th inning.  They might break him in slow due to his coming off an injury, but the plan is to make him the closer.    That being said, stranger things have happened, and with his injury history and relative newness to relieving, I'd hold Workman till the situation sorts itself out.

16 hours ago, Kramjam24 said:

But don't the Red Sox have to have a lead before anybody can get a save?