JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

I don't think the Redsox are sticking their $68 million man in the bullpen to set up, or pitch the in the 6th inning.  They might break him in slow due to his coming off an injury, but the plan is to make him the closer.    That being said, stranger things have happened, and with his injury history and relative newness to relieving, I'd hold Workman till the situation sorts itself out.

What if getting the most of their investment is using him anywhere and multiple innings over being locked in the 9th inning?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dicka24 said:

I don't think the Redsox are sticking their $68 million man in the bullpen to set up, or pitch the in the 6th inning.  They might break him in slow due to his coming off an injury, but the plan is to make him the closer.    That being said, stranger things have happened, and with his injury history and relative newness to relieving, I'd hold Workman till the situation sorts itself out.

 

It's funny.   The red Sox didn't want to resign Kimbrel due to contract demands and their concern about his health and stuff deteriorating.  Now they are praying their 68m investment with a history of health issues can save their bullpen. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 96mnc said:

 

It's funny.   The red Sox didn't want to resign Kimbrel due to contract demands and their concern about his health and stuff deteriorating.  Now they are praying their 68m investment with a history of health issues can save their bullpen. 

 

spacer.png

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Castillo has to get the next shot in Tampa I'd imagine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this guy get any consideration?  That's kinda filthy.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Strickland pitched in AAA last night.  Should be back in a week. Servais  said (family feud voice) he expects him to be the guy although he’ll be Eased in at first.  Anyone else desperate stashing?

Edited by Cesare13
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Strickland pitched in AAA last night.  Should be back in a week. Servais  said (family feud voice) he expects him to be the guy although he’ll be Eased in at first.  Anyone else desperate stashing?

Stay away from Mariner arms.  Dumpster fire team, dumpster fire manager, dumpster fire in every single regard.  Don’t do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, dicka24 said:

Does this guy get any consideration?  That's kinda filthy.

 

 

Last guy who had a nasty pitch gif was Alvarado.  And after everyone went nuts over him, he proceeded to make monster dumps all over ratios.  Sick screwball, but not buying Drake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Stay away from Mariner arms.  Dumpster fire team, dumpster fire manager, dumpster fire in every single regard.  Don’t do it.

I’m desperate, and to be fair, that could be a description of my fantasy baseball team this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cesare13 said:

Strickland pitched in AAA last night.  Should be back in a week. Servais  said (family feud voice) he expects him to be the guy although he’ll be Eased in at first.  Anyone else desperate stashing?

 

Have had him stashed for months in an IL spot..it is a very deep competitive save hungry league, so to me it all depends on your leagues size/settings

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 10:28 AM, Slatykamora said:

What if getting the most of their investment is using him anywhere and multiple innings over being locked in the 9th inning?

 

I one hundred percent agree with this. As an Eovaldi owner. I hope they pitch him in the ninth and he racks up saves. As a Red Sox fan, I would much rather have him utilized as a multi-inning weapon like Hader was last year and not chained to "closer" role. And I still think despite all the reports that might be what Cora does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Strickland pitched in AAA last night.  Should be back in a week. Servais  said (family feud voice) he expects him to be the guy although he’ll be Eased in at first.  Anyone else desperate stashing?

Of the top 100 surveyed, Strickland is the No. 1 answer on the board. I remember the good old days when Strickland closed out both games in Japan and I was leading the league in saves. Feels like a long time ago...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kelley arm injury while warming up - snag Leclerc if he's on your wire with your last move of the week just in case

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rlaalsrb said:

Kelley arm injury while warming up - snag Leclerc if he's on your wire with your last move of the week just in case

Or Chris Martin, who I believe got the last save opp that wasn’t Kelley, and has a 2.97 ERA & 40/3 K/BB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Backdoor Slider said:

Or Chris Martin, who I believe got the last save opp that wasn’t Kelley, and has a 2.97 ERA & 40/3 K/BB.

true. but if the management wants to have Leclerc back closing this is the opportune time to do it I guess

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

Of the top 100 surveyed, Strickland is the No. 1 answer on the board. I remember the good old days when Strickland closed out both games in Japan and I was leading the league in saves. Feels like a long time ago...

 

Ha! Me too. That's still too funny to me.

 

I've had Strickland stashed since then. I honestly can't explain how he managed to stick (4 IL spots but still). It is a saves hungry league, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

Hendricks BS, he's been so good though.

 

Third day in a row too, might have pushed it just a little too far.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a coin flip between moronta and dyson for closer duties once will smith gets traded. Dyson is a FA at years end so my guess is it’ll be dyson initially until another trade then moronta going forward. Gott is a dark horse. Can’t see it being Watson 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Caelum said:

 

Third day in a row too, might have pushed it just a little too far.

Excellent point. The Twins seeing him for the 3rd time,  they had an idea what was coming, I'm sure. Great stuff or not, not easy facing a team 3 times in a row, especially someone like the Twins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Looks like a coin flip between moronta and dyson for closer duties once will smith gets traded. Dyson is a FA at years end so my guess is it’ll be dyson initially until another trade then moronta going forward. Gott is a dark horse. Can’t see it being Watson 

Presuming those guys don't go as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

Presuming those guys don't go as well.

 

 

This is also presuming the Giants are still sellers. We'll presume they will be, because the NL is stacked with 2nd wild card contenders  But still so--if they streak and can get within reach, is it out of the question that they don't trade some oft these guys?

Also, I assume Dyson, Watson, and Smith would all be dealt if they do tear down. That said I don't know why they would deal Moronta, but I've heard the rumors anyway. 

This conclusion leaves me with one MR on the team who I can see closing, if all of those arms are dealt: Mark Melancon

For real.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.