JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

20 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Does A.J. Minter ever have a clean inning? 

NO But neither does Luke Jackson. Braves got to get a real closer

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Caelum said:

(Liam Hendricks)

Third day in a row too, might have pushed it just a little too far.

not only that, but he went 1 2/3 friday (20 pitches),  wasnt great yesterday with 2 hits and a walk (and he hadn't given up a walk in quite a while)

seems they did push it too far today.

Edited by tesla
  • Like 2

Shawn Kelley’s injury sounds potentially serious. He has an extensive history of elbow injuries, including 2 Tommy John surgeries and surgery to remove bone chops from his elbow. LeClerc is a must-own again, though I think Martin could also be an option.

SHAWN KELLEY LEAVES WITH INJURY DURING WARMUP

Reliever Shawn Kelley took himself off the mound after throwing several warmup pitches in the eighth inning. Kelley felt soreness in his right biceps tendon and was taken for an MRI after the game at Minute Maid Park.

Kelley’s emotions were obvious when he got to the dugout as he threw his hat. It’s highly likely Kelley will be placed on the injured list before Monday’s game against the Mariners.

“I’ve got my fingers crossed hoping it’s not as bad we think,” Woodward said.

2 hours ago, nlm said:

This is also presuming the Giants are still sellers. We'll presume they will be, because the NL is stacked with 2nd wild card contenders  But still so--if they streak and can get within reach, is it out of the question that they don't trade some oft these guys?

Also, I assume Dyson, Watson, and Smith would all be dealt if they do tear down. That said I don't know why they would deal Moronta, but I've heard the rumors anyway. 

This conclusion leaves me with one MR on the team who I can see closing, if all of those arms are dealt: Mark Melancon

For real.

They could trade smith and melancon or dyson for a real young player and still be about as competitive as they are now. Pen is stacked 

4 minutes ago, cyberer said:

They could trade smith and melancon or dyson for a real young player and still be about as competitive as they are now. Pen is stacked 

Nobody is trading for Melancon and his salary unless they are getting something very valuable as well. 

• Like 3

Giants are .500 now.  Whether they sell is legitimately in doubt 

need to shed some light on the boston situation......who do we think gets the gig?workman or eovaldi? and why?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, David Aames said:

need to shed some light on the boston situation......who do we think gets the gig?workman or eovaldi? and why?

Just take a look at the last few pages. It’s been talked about a ton. There was talk about them wanting to put Eovaldi into the role but Cora’s recent comments don’t give many confidence that it’s a foregone conclusion. If Eovaldi were to get the role he’s not going to get it right away as he’ll likely be eased into it and as many have said he will not go on back to back days after his injury. They could also go the route of continuing to give Workman the majority of opps and mixing and matching with others while giving Eovaldi high leverage innings as a fireman. Honestly, nobody knows. 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, codog24 said:

Nobody is trading for Melancon and his salary unless they are getting something very valuable as well. 

Yeah. As said before, their pen is really good, but they realistically aren't moving Melancon's contract. They'll probably just suck up his salary and use him as a closer if they sell enough guys off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meh2 said:

Shawn Kelley’s injury sounds potentially serious. He has an extensive history of elbow injuries, including 2 Tommy John surgeries and surgery to remove bone chops from his elbow. LeClerc is a must-own again, though I think Martin could also be an option.

FWIW Leclerc has been very good since the beginning of May after his terrible start to the year. Since then, in 34 innings, he’s got a 2.91 era and a 0.94 whip with 53 k’s and 13 bb. I think he gets the first shot but it would not surprise me to see Martin it either. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

Just take a look at the last few pages. It’s been talked about a ton. There was talk about them wanting to put Eovaldi into the role but Cora’s recent comments don’t give many confidence that it’s a foregone conclusion. If Eovaldi were to get the role he’s not going to get it right away as he’ll likely be eased into it and as many have said he will not go on back to back days after his injury. They could also go the route of continuing to give Workman the majority of opps and mixing and matching with others while giving Eovaldi high leverage innings as a fireman. Honestly, nobody knows. 

I highly doubt anything will come to fruition, but Jon Morosi is reporting that the Sox are "showing active interest" in Ken Giles and Kirby Yates, which would obviously throw a huge wrench into the Eovaldi/Workman debate. Personally, I think with their system being so thin and their desire to stay under the tax threshold that its a pipe dream, but take the info for what its worth......

5 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

I highly doubt anything will come to fruition, but Jon Morosi is reporting that the Sox are "showing active interest" in Ken Giles and Kirby Yates, which would obviously throw a huge wrench into the Eovaldi/Workman debate. Personally, I think with their system being so thin and their desire to stay under the tax threshold that its a pipe dream, but take the info for what its worth......

Yeah I don’t see that happening either. As a Sox fan if they could pull off something for Yates I’d be thrilled but I can’t imagine they could make that happen since their farm is depleted. 

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Giants are .500 now.  Whether they sell is legitimately in doubt 

Yeah.... I can't see management leaving Bochy with nothing sending him out like that and considering their recent success...

Just my weekly reminder to everyone to not chase saves via any Rays pitchers. It’s going to be like the Phillies/Kapler situation last year. All hands on deck.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, meh2 said:

SHAWN KELLEY LEAVES WITH INJURY DURING WARMUP

Reliever Shawn Kelley took himself off the mound after throwing several warmup pitches in the eighth inning. Kelley felt soreness in his right biceps tendon and was taken for an MRI after the game at Minute Maid Park.

Kelley’s emotions were obvious when he got to the dugout as he threw his hat. It’s highly likely Kelley will be placed on the injured list before Monday’s game against the Mariners.

“I’ve got my fingers crossed hoping it’s not as bad we think,” Woodward said.

3 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

FWIW Leclerc has been very good since the beginning of May after his terrible start to the year. Since then, in 34 innings, he’s got a 2.91 era and a 0.94 whip with 53 k’s and 13 bb. I think he gets the first shot but it would not surprise me to see Martin it either. 

I understand saves are flukey; come and go in bunches...but its been almost a month since Kelley's last save, on June 27th.

Positive regression incoming?

3 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Twins Rogers/Parker have actually been a solid RHP/LHP committee.  That being said the Twins could be buyers at the deadline and helping their talented but volatile starters with extra inning from a shut down designated closer isn't out of the question. 

Good write up, but this isn't a committee. Parker's gotten 2 saves since beginning of June and I think in both instances Rogers wasn't available. 

Very good summary 2 posts up. I would only add that Bummer seems like the clear option to me if Colome goes. If both of them go, then anyone’s guess is as good as mine. Maybe Herrera (awful but has experience) if he gets back. Other guys might be Marshall(R) or Osich(L), probably in that order. 

• Like 1

Kelley’s injury is looking serious. Will it be LeClerc or Martin? Closermonkey is leaning Martin “slightly” 

10 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Kelley’s injury is looking serious. Will it be LeClerc or Martin? Closermonkey is leaning Martin “slightly” 

6 posts on this page referencing Rangers situation before you posted this. Did you miss them? 

• Like 4

Just now, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

6 posts on this page referencing Rangers situation before you posted this. Did you miss them? 

Plus some discussion on the previous page. It's not like this is an April thread where things move too quickly to keep up. With that said, nobody knows who would be next if Kelley is down for long. Grab both guys if you can, there are legitimate reasons to favor both.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

just scroll

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Might be nice to compile a complete list of closers and possible outcomes going into the trade deadline. I'm sure some of this is wrong as the scotch is flowing so feel free to correct/addend anything. 

AL EAST

Yankees: Chapman isn't going anywhere and no one is supplanting him. 

Red sox: Eovaldi/Workman debate as above but also showing interest in outside options. Very murky but with huge ramifications.  

Rays: Pagan/Castillo...Drake? I dunno this is a total cluster. I doubt they trade for anyone that becomes "the guy" either but it's possible. Personally not interested in this one at all.

Orioles: Guessing Givens gets moved but they do have 2 more years of arbitration so they may not. If he is I doubt he's closing for his new team regardless. Not a ton of value here. 

Jays: Giles seems very likely to move and likely to remain a closer for his new team outside maybe a few places.

AL CENTRAL

White Sox: Colome will probably move on, but it's a bit murkier than it looks at face value. I'm not buying the "Sox won't sell cause they're technically in the race" narrative but he also doesn't have a good K rate or K:BB, has a low BABIP, and his arbitration price will pretty high next year with the SV totals. Still think he goes but I don't think teams will be breaking down the doors for him. 

Indians: Doubt Hand is in much danger of moving with Cleveland chasing down the Twins. 

Tigers They don't have to move Green with another year of arbitration eligibility, but can't imagine they won't. His chances of closing for his new team however are probably close to 50/50. Definitely some risk here.

Royals Oddly enough Kennedy is probably one of the safer good bad-team closers given his high priced contract. There's always a possibility of a salary dump trade given how well he has done in his new role. 

Twins Rogers/Parker have actually been a solid RHP/LHP committee.  That being said the Twins could be buyers at the deadline and helping their talented but volatile starters with extra inning from a shut down designated closer isn't out of the question. 

AL WEST

Astros: Osuna seems safe outside of something wild and unexpected happening. 

Athletics: They're clearly in the hunt but will they be big buyers? Doubtful. Hendriks has been stellar but 2 of last year's best arms in Treinan and Trivino have been bad.  Crazier things have happened but based in their history if the As go get a reliever I doubt it's a big enough name to displace Hendriks.

Angels Hansel is so hot. They're over 500 so going and getting help wouldn't be unheard of, but the AL odds are stacked against them. They're also a good enough team not to trade off talent if they don't get a good offer. I'd guess Robles is starting out.

Rangers: Kelley seems as if he just had a significant injury so LeClerc/Martin are it I guess.  Another team over 500 but doesn't seem like a contender. It's possible they're sellers, and I could see LeClerc having some appeal to a contending team, but he has been awful in the 9th this year and just signed an extension so I would assume he's staying put. Kelley would have been a Sell candidate if somehow he avoided serious injury.

Mariners: Elias is the closest thing to a guy they have I guess. Yeah he's not particularly good but he's cheap and the Mariners are bad and rebuilding so I'm assuming he's gone and placed in a setup role. Strickland doesn't sound like hell be back in time to build up significant trade value but you never know.

NL EAST

Braves: Luke Jackson seems as if he should be better than he has been but he continues to blow saves at big times.  Their pen is lousy with talented arms that blow up at bad times.  Definitely a prime spot for a closer change. Even if they whiff at the deadline (Swarzak?)

Nationals: Doolittle hasn't been quite as good as before, and the Nationals seem like prime bullpen buyers. Still he has been good enough that unless they go all out for a guy like Yates I don't he's going anywhere.

Phillies: Talk about underperforming. On paper this should have been a stellar BP but they have been pretty bad/injured.  Neris in particular has fluctuated from great to terrible.  With them being a part of nearly every rumor on a deadline pitcher and with Gabe being a lot more traditional I'm his closer usage this year, definitely a prime closer change candidate.

Mets: What a train wreck.  Still I can't imagine Diaz going anywhere at this point, even if they finally accept the fact that they need to enter a rebuild of some kind.

Marlins: Romo has been good not great, but he'd be a decent cheap rental on a contender.  Very little chance he closes for a new team though.

NL CENTRAL

Cubs: Already made their move with Kimberl

Brewers: You could argue they're best with Hader in a fireman role an a stud closer to close the door. It's what they did last year with Jeffress, who had fallen off a bit last year. So maybe. Still gotta inside if they make a move it'll be for a starter.

Cardinals: The Hicks injury hurts them big especially with Martinez, Miller, and Gant sucking. Carlos is the guy for now but definitely another group I could easily see buying a closer near the deadline. 

Pirates: Cheap controllable and dominant closers like Vazquez would cost a hefty price.  Not unheard of but still I seriously doubt he moves. IF someone is willing to sell the farm for him I gotta imagine he'll close almost anywhere he goes. 

Reds: Can I pass? Iglesias/Lorenzen(/Garrett?) Have been pretty meh this year but Rasiel remains a talented arm controllable through 2021 (I believe). He's someone I would expect to stay where he is given the relatively new contract and mediocre performance thus far but he seems more attainable than someone like Vazquez if a contender is looking for more than a rental. If you asked last year if he'd close for a new team the answer would seem obvious but this year it's more up in the air.  Really hard team/pitcher combo to predict.

AL WEST

Dodgers: Kenley is no longer the superstud he once was, but he has been more than good enough to remain the closer short of some crazy blockbuster deal.

Diamondbacks: Holland has fallen from grace a bit recently, but still had solid numbers overall on the season. He'd be pretty cheap overall (about 3 million I believe).  Seems sonewhat likely he is moved and somewhat unlikely he closes for most contenders. Hirano or Lopez are probably staying and will slide into closer roles if Holland is moved.

Giants: They're still technical in the race along with pretty much the entire NL.  Sure there's reason to believe they won't sell but it would seem silly of them not to try to take advantage of their bullpen depth/talent. Problem is it's impossible to predict who they sell. Smith, Dyson, and Watson are prove trade candidates. Smith has a decent shot at closing for his new team as well. As pointed out earlier Moronora is a potential although less likely and Melancon would be difficult to move with his contact.  Lots of value to be had here but also a lot of unknowns.

Padres: Yates is obviously the big prize of the off-season and would close almost anywhere he is traded. Making $3 million and with another year of arbitration I believe the Padres when they say that it'll take a lot to get him though, as they seem close to contending in the near future. 

Rockies: Getting a taker on Davis seems optimistic at this point, although Oberg is still lurking regardless of a trade.

Don't ever think of agreed with the entirety of a post this long, yet here we are. Especially re: Brewers. I own Hader. Still absolutely believe if they add a closer of a certain tier, they'd be willing to move him back to a fireman role.