JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

I will be SHOCKED if Leclerc doesn't get the first shot at closer in Kelley's absense. I think Woodward has wanted to reinstate Leclerc as his primary closer for a long time now but Kelley was just too good to make a change. Now he has the perfect opportunity to give Leclerc another shot.

I'll be bold and speculate here: I think Leclerc runs with the job this time and never looks back - ala Edwin Diaz (before this season).

• Like 1

My money is on Leclerc so I snagged him on the wire and inserted him into my weekly roto.   I'm not a big fan of his due to his poor BB rate, but the K's are elite so hopefully he gets the gig and I can vulture a couple of saves this week.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Jenrry Mejia is still kicking around the Red Sox system.  I’ve heard occasional rumblings about him joining that crowded bullpen.  Any locals have more information?

Edit: may belong in middle relievers thread.

Edited by Mongeese

12 minutes ago, Mongeese said:

Jenrry Mejia is still kicking around the Red Sox system.  I’ve heard occasional rumblings about him joining that crowded bullpen.  Any locals have more information?

Edit: may belong in middle relievers thread.

Minor league numbers aren't good and since the Sox have tried pretty much every warm body they have in the system to provide help and have stayed away from him I don't think it bodes well for a call-up. Maybe in September, but even then I doubt he would carry any value.

• Like 1

Hasn't Chris Martin fared well in the 9th? Seems like his name was getting thrown around when Kelley had a few rough outings

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

Hasn't Chris Martin fared well in the 9th? Seems like his name was getting thrown around when Kelley had a few rough outings

Martin was fine in the brief stint he got as closer when LeClerc was removed from the role and Kelly was hurt the first time, and usage would seem to suggest that he would be next in line. The important thing to remember is that the Rangers just signed LeClerc to a four-year deal for decent money, so I assume their preference would be to see him grab the job back. Plus, he has pitched reasonably well since the control problems earlier this year and has the most closer-type stuff in the bullpen if he can throw strikes (Big if).

Grab LeClerc, it's just as likely Martin is traded to a contending team needing bullpen help. Rangers are around 6 or 7 games back from the Wild Card.

11 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Martin was fine in the brief stint he got as closer when LeClerc was removed from the role and Kelly was hurt the first time, and usage would seem to suggest that he would be next in line. The important thing to remember is that the Rangers just signed LeClerc to a four-year deal for decent money, so I assume their preference would be to see him grab the job back. Plus, he has pitched reasonably well since the control problems earlier this year and has the most closer-type stuff in the bullpen if he can throw strikes (Big if).

People have been saying this for months, but it hasn't happened. 

3 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

People have been saying this for months, but it hasn't happened. 

Very true, but with Kelley on the shelf the closer role is essentially vacant so now they have the perfect excuse to reinstall him.

• Like 3

Just now, JameisofThrones said:

Very true, but with Kelley on the shelf the closer role is essentially vacant so now they have the perfect excuse to reinstall him.

They seemed fine with Martin closing for a brief period...

Martin has been lights out recently, even better than LeClerc. There's a good chance they'll just give it to LeClerc but I also think there's a decent chance they just say "let's stick with what's been working for both guys," meaning keeping Martin in the late-inning situations and using LeClerc as more of a fireman type in the middle innings. Neither scenario would shock me. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Martin has been lights out recently, even better than LeClerc. There's a good chance they'll just give it to LeClerc but I also think there's a decent chance they just say "let's stick with what's been working for both guys," meaning keeping Martin in the late-inning situations and using LeClerc as more of a fireman type in the middle innings. Neither scenario would shock me. 

If by "recently" you mean "more than a week ago except for yesterday when he got destroyed", then I agree.

I mean if LeClerc is already owned then it wouldn't hurt to pick up Martin and wait and see. But if both are available and you need to choose one, the tea leaves clearly seem to be pointing to LeClerc based on what the manager has said and salaries/contracts.

3 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

If by "recently" you mean "more than a week ago except for yesterday when he got destroyed", then I agree.

I mean if LeClerc is already owned then it wouldn't hurt to pick up Martin and wait and see. But if both are available and you need to choose one, the tea leaves clearly seem to be pointing to LeClerc based on what the manager has said and salaries/contracts.

I agree but I haven’t seen any comments from the manager. Do you have a source?

5 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

When did he get destroyed? He gave up a run. The first earned run he's allowed this month.

15 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

not sure you understand what the word "destroyed" means....lol

he gave up 2 hits and 1 run

• Like 1

Too many people here nitpicking here.

Currently with the info that you have, you either have to take both or make a decision (if your league is that slow, both should be taken by now).

• Like 2

@miasma16 I'd be curious to see your thoughts on this matter beyond just using the confused emoji on the Chris Martin posts.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BostonCajun said:

I agree but I haven’t seen any comments from the manager. Do you have a source?

For a long while that's all he ever said when asked about Leclerc, basically that the goal was to get him back in the closer role. Feel free to look it up. You should even find some of these quotes in this thread and last month's.

Anyway, Martin's last time out, he faced 4 batters, 2 of which he got out, while the other two got a HR and a double, then he got the hook. Some may call this a solid outing, I'd call it getting destroyed. Semantics aside, the last time Leclerc gave up a run was more than two weeks ago.

Edited by Fiveohnine

Just now, meh2 said:

Martin time.

34 minutes ago, pierceNKC said:

Martin time.

or Leclerc. keen to see what happens!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

For a long while that's all he ever said when asked about Leclerc, basically that the goal was to get him back in the closer role. Feel free to look it up. You should even find some of these quotes in this thread and last month's.

Anyway, Martin's last time out, he faced 4 batters, 2 of which he got out, while the other two got a HR and a double, then he got the hook. Some may call this a solid outing, I'd call it getting destroyed. Semantics aside, the last time Leclerc gave up a run was more than two weeks ago.

Managers always say that type of stuff to try to avoid destroying a pitcher's confidence completely.  Even Ausmus said two months ago that the goal was to get Cody Allen back into the closer's role and that the Angels were a better team with Allen at closer and less than 3 weeks later Allen was cut.  What do you expect to see Woodward say?  That LeClerc is a total bum who can't throw strikes and will never be his closer again?

I think if Woodward really wanted LeClerc to close, it would have happened a long time ago.  LeClerc righted the ship about 2 months ago.  I just don't think Woodward trusts LeClerc after how colossally bad he was in April.  Yes, LeClerc was good as closer in August and September of last year, but remember Woodward wasn't there then.

23 hours ago, tesla said:

not only that, but he went 1 2/3 friday (20 pitches),  wasnt great yesterday with 2 hits and a walk (and he hadn't given up a walk in quite a while)

seems they did push it too far today.

As great of a pickup as Hendriks has been for me this year, I keep waiting for the clock to strike midnight and Hendriks to turn back into a pumpkin.  His career 4.33 ERA and 1.34 WHIP speaks for itself.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

As great of a pickup as Hendriks has been for me this year, I keep waiting for the clock to strike midnight and Hendriks to turn back into a pumpkin.  His career 4.33 ERA and 1.34 WHIP speaks for itself.

He was pretty unlucky yesterday. The home plate blue was calling balls 2" off the plate strikes, but Hendricks had multiple FB's heart of the plate @ the lowest part of zone called balls. He could have avoided the triple (and odd bounce off the wall that allowed the first run to score) w/ a K, and probably had the save and only one hit given up that inning. 

Granted, that's not what happened, but he was still nasty last night and received no help from the blue or his defense. IMHO, Hendricks is as solid as any closer going considering the apocalyptic nature of anyone who hurls baseballs in 2019. 

Edited by LarryChip10
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

He was pretty unlucky yesterday. The home plate blue was calling balls 2" off the plate strikes, but Hendricks had multiple FB's heart of the plate @ the lowest part of zone called balls. He could have avoided the triple (and odd bounce off the wall that allowed the first run to score) w/ a K, and probably had the save and only one hit given up that inning. 

Granted, that's not what happened, but he was still nasty last night and received no help from the blue or his defense. IMHO, Hendricks is as solid as any closer going considering the apocalyptic nature of anyone who hurls baseballs in 2019. 

Josh Hader?

Honestly speaking, I'm not sure I'd even put Hendriks in the top 10 closer ROS.  It's just hard to ignore that career 4.33 ERA and 1.34 WHIP