JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

12 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Josh Hader?

Honestly speaking, I'm not sure I'd even put Hendriks in the top 10 closer ROS.  It's just hard to ignore that career 4.33 ERA and 1.34 WHIP

"solid as any"... I do not think he's the best, I wasn't attempting to rank him, just a comment on his outing that could have turned out differently. I don't care about his past as much as what he's been in 2019, and I believe he will be on many playoff bound teams. He passes the eyeball test as a closer for me. 

• Like 2

Before anybody gets worked up when Eovaldi comes into this game with Sox up 8-0 in the eighth, Cora said before the game that he was going to pitch tonight no matter what the score was since he didn't work in the Baltimore series......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

"solid as any"... I do not think he's the best, I wasn't attempting to rank him, just a comment on his outing that could have turned out differently. I don't care about his past as much as what he's been in 2019, and I believe he will be on many playoff bound teams. He passes the eyeball test as a closer for me. 

I agree. It’s not always about career numbers as @FootballFan is seeming to suggest. Yes they are a baseline from which we can make assumptions and projections but often times guys make tweaks or adjustments that can turn their careers around, particularly with relief pitchers. Hendriks looks like he may be one of them given the way he’s performed this season. All the underlying numbers support what he’s doing. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I agree. It’s not always about career numbers as @FootballFan is seeming to suggest. Yes they are a baseline from which we can make assumptions and projections but often times guys make tweaks or adjustments that can turn their careers around, particularly with relief pitchers. Hendriks looks like he may be one of them given the way he’s performed this season. All the underlying numbers support what he’s doing

He has a 3.98 xFIP and an 87% strand rate.   Look, I own Hendriks in multiple leagues and I'm enjoying the ride with him so far.  I'm just trying to keep expectations realistic going forward.  If I could get a top 100 player for Hendricks right now, I'd trade him in a second.

Edited by FootballFan101

6 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I agree. It’s not always about career numbers as @FootballFan is seeming to suggest. Yes they are a baseline from which we can make assumptions and projections but often times guys make tweaks or adjustments that can turn their careers around, particularly with relief pitchers. Hendriks looks like he may be one of them given the way he’s performed this season. All the underlying numbers support what he’s doing. 

You just have to take all of the information at your disposal into account. I think there's reason to be concerned about Hendrick's career numbers. But it's all relative. Closers are an absolute mess this season. I think it's fair to call Hendricks a Top 10 guy if you're making rankings today, give or take.

30 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Josh Hader?

Honestly speaking, I'm not sure I'd even put Hendriks in the top 10 closer ROS.  It's just hard to ignore that career 4.33 ERA and 1.34 WHIP

Hendriks may or may not stick, but relievers see their ratios fluctuate all the time. You'd have missed several dominant seasons getting married to career marks. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We waited for this Eovaldi?

Edited by wahoos1

Just now, wahoos1 said:

We waited for this Evoldi?

Talk about freaking ugly!! 

1 minute ago, wahoos1 said:

We waited for this Eovaldi?

Can I cut him now

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rcarena said:

Can I cut him now

I wouldn’t say ugly. I liked that he was throwing 99 and got two solid ks in the inning. Got dinked with and infield single and the wild pitch, Meadows had a solid double but then a seeing eye single up the middle that was barely out of reach and a slap single to right.  Only Meadows hit was hard contact.  Gotta shake off the rust but I liked the velocity he showed.  Looked like he was having trouble finding his breaking pitches. But I wouldn’t say it was a disaster. Ya the ratios sucked but I think that he will be good being able to just rear back and let loose. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

So Eovaldi done after giving up three runs and only getting two outs, exiting with a pair on. The two doubles were smoked. Of the three singles, there was one well-hit one up the middle, an infield dribbler and a bloop. Good velocity, bad location. Obvious rust. Assuming this performance means they will continue to try to easy him in.

EDIT: Just saw the above post, which I co-sign on, except the D'Arnaud double to drive in the first run was also barreled up pretty good

Edited by JameisofThrones

3 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

So Eovaldi done after giving up three runs and only getting two outs, exiting with a pair on. The two doubles were smoked. Of the three singles, there was one well-hit one up the middle, an infield dribbler and a bloop. Good velocity, bad location. Obvious rust. Assuming this performance means they will continue to try to easy him in.

EDIT: Just saw the above post, which I co-sign on, except the D'Arnaud double to drive in the first run was also barreled up pretty good

Sorry I forgot to mention that. Yes two hard contact hits. Both Meadows and D’Arnaud are their hottest hitters the last week or so.  There’s obvious rust to be expected. But the velocity to me is promising. 

• Like 1

How owning Boston closers this year makes me feel:

giphy.gif

• Haha 7

19 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

He has a 3.98 xFIP and an 87% strand rate.   Look, I own Hendriks in multiple leagues and I'm enjoying the ride with him so far.  I'm just trying to keep expectations realistic going forward.  If I could get a top 100 player for Hendricks right now, I'd trade him in a second.

I get your point that career numbers do mean something but they’re not everything, especially when it comes to relievers. My point is, as @rcarena said, ratios for relievers fluctuate so much from season to season. We see it every year.

I did not notice his xfip but I did notice he has the 3rd best fip of 1.46 among qualifying relievers and a 15% SwStr rate. He’s also got a 25% k-bb%. He has some really good supporting numbers to back up what he’s doing this year. Do I think he’s going to be the next elite closer for years to come? No. I would need to see more of a track record for that I say anything remotely close to that. But do I think he can continue what he’s been doing all season long for the remainder of this year. Absolutely.

• Like 1

Eovaldi hasn't pitched in a long time so I'm not surprised he was a tad rusty.  Personally I've never been a big fan of his.  He throws hard, but he gives up a ton of hits and never really piled up a lot of K's as a starter.  Maybe going to the pen will help his stuff play better, but I'd hold on to Workman if you've picked him up somewhere. Eovaldi should be good as a closer you'd imagine, throwing 100+ with a decent breaking ball, but you just never know.

6 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I get your point that career numbers do mean something but they’re not everything, especially when it comes to relievers. My point is, as @rcarena said, ratios for relievers fluctuate so much from season to season. We see it every year.

I did not notice his xfip but I did notice he has the 3rd best fip of 1.46 among qualifying relievers and a 15% SwStr rate. He’s also got a 25% k-bb%. He has some really good supporting numbers to back up what he’s doing this year. Do I think he’s going to be the next elite closer for years to come? No. I would need to see more of a track record for that I say anything remotely close to that. But do I think he can continue what he’s been doing all season long for the remainder of this year. Absolutely.

Way too lazy to check through the archives, but career numbers was the reason so many people wouldn’t touch Hansel Robles.

• Like 1

Shreve did bad enough to let Martinez get a save opp...now let the CMart impolion begin..

Thinking about just cutting Iglesias, even in my deep league, 8 losses, era over 9 the last month, not even getting 100% of the save opps.... Just over this guy this year....Anyone else actually worth owning in the Cincy bullpen?

1 minute ago, TheChamp said:

Thinking about just cutting Iglesias, even in my deep league, 8 losses, era over 9 the last month, not even getting 100% of the save opps.... Just over this guy this year....Anyone else actually worth owning in the Cincy bullpen?

I did it. If Tyler Saladino isn’t the breaking point, who is?

• Like 1

Yeah. But it's the manager's fault that Iglesias is awful.

Seriously though, dropping a guy with the job almost never seems to work out, especially in a deep league. I understand rage dropping a clown like Iglesias though just so you don't have to look at his name/pic, if nothing else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fiveohnine said:

Yeah. But it's the manager's fault that Iglesias is awful.

Seriously though, dropping a guy with the job almost never seems to work out, especially in a deep league. I understand rage dropping a clown like Iglesias though just so you don't have to look at his name/pic, if nothing else.

I feel like a rage drop would have been 2 weeks ago, now I feel like it's pretty worthy.. Probably will wait til tomorrow to see what happens when the dust settles.... but find it hard to believe they can keep rolling him out there, seems like they weren't too keen on it even before the most recent blowups the last 3-4 weeks...   We thinking Lorenzen is the play here if  he gets demoted?    Not really sure I want to ride that train either... lol

Posted (edited)

Lol I forgot I left Eovaldi in my lineup. I'm not surprised by the results today though. He's been on the shelf for a few months. 

Changing subjects - why isn't Amir Garrett getting save opps yet?

Edited by street sharks

Last season I made comments that Iglesias was overrated.  People gave me the laugh and confused emojis.

11 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Lol I forgot I left Eovaldi in my lineup. I'm not surprised by the results today though. He's been on the shelf for a few months. 

Changing subjects - why isn't Amir Garrett getting save opps yet?

Well, he just missed more than two weeks with a lat strain, and he wasn't great tonight. Faced three batters and two of them reached on a walk and single -- both left-handed. Lorenzen wasn't a lot better. Maybe Hughes gets a look? One-out save tonight and he has some closing experience. Wonder if any of these guys get sold off next week and who ends up left.