JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

3 hours ago, meh2 said:

How owning Boston closers this year makes me feel:

giphy.gif

I know this is a baseball thread. But I feel like this Gif specifically belongs in the Tyreek Hill outlook. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Cubs radio announcers said Will Smith was warming in the eighth, but then sat down, despite the Giants going ahead. However, in the ninth, when Dyson got into trouble and a lefty got up, they thought it was Smith again at first but soon corrected that to Watson. Were they wrong in the eighth too? Still trying to figure out what happened here and if Smith backed out of appearing for some reason.

EDIT: Rotoworld blurb says Smith was unavailable, so I think it was a case of the Cubs radio guys thinking Watson was Smith from afar.

Edited by Caelum
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I’m pretty sure Smith never got up. He pitched 3 out of the last 4 so I think it was just a night off. 

Edited by fourstar
  • Like 1

I don't think this has been posted yet: https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/article/Rangers-place-closer-Shawn-Kelley-on-10-day-14115024.php

An MRI showed no acute injury and Woodward said it was "way better than we all thought." Woodward expects Jose Leclerc and Chris Martin to handle the late-inning duties with Kelley out.

Seems like it could be a minimum DL stint and definitely maybe probably not notable that Leclerc is listed first.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smeeze said:

I don't think this has been posted yet: https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/article/Rangers-place-closer-Shawn-Kelley-on-10-day-14115024.php

An MRI showed no acute injury and Woodward said it was "way better than we all thought." Woodward expects Jose Leclerc and Chris Martin to handle the late-inning duties with Kelley out.

Seems like it could be a minimum DL stint and definitely maybe probably not notable that Leclerc is listed first.

If LeClerc has a few clean saves while Kelley is out I wonder if the Rangers just stick with him when Kelley returns

Perhaps not the greatest timing after giving up a run last night, but any chance Amir Garrett is thrown into the mix for saves in Cincy?  Iglesias has been bad and nobody else has really stepped up.

6 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Wow pitcherlist bumped eovaldi all the way up to #21 on their new rankings despite that hick-up, and leclerc to #19. Now that's confidence.

https://www.pitcherlist.com/closing-time-7-23-ranking-the-top-30-closers-every-tuesday/

It's not that crazy. People should put absolutely zero stock in last night. He was still pumping 99 and apparently only 1 hit allowed was over 93 mph

The thing about it is that Eovaldi has thrown high-90s cheese for basically his whole career and has mostly gotten lit up just the same aside from last season.

Eovaldi cashed in for a handful of good games in the postseason.  He has had the same streak I am sure in previous years.  It just looked better in the playoffs and he got paid.

He still isn't good.  Odds of him keeping that closer role the remainder of the season are 20%.  

Sox will trade for a reliever.

Hunter Strickland (lat) is expected to be activated off the injured list during the Mariners' upcoming road trip to Texas.

We thinkin he closes right away?

5 minutes ago, herschel said:

Hunter Strickland (lat) is expected to be activated off the injured list during the Mariners' upcoming road trip to Texas.

We thinkin he closes right away?

Does it ever happen right away? I mean, he’s been out for months. Very likely he’ll throw a low leverage outing or two to see where he’s at.

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Does it ever happen right away? I mean, he’s been out for months. Very likely he’ll throw a low leverage outing or two to see where he’s at.

Just happened with Kimbrel (i know Strickland is no Kimbrel).

21 hours ago, meh2 said:

How owning Boston closers this year makes me feel:

NfFfwm5.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

The thing about it is that Eovaldi has thrown high-90s cheese for basically his whole career and has mostly gotten lit up just the same aside from last season.

He's been a starter for pretty much all of that. Guys getting the luxury of seeing him in multiple ABs and all that jazz. He can approach things differently as a RP.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

He's been a starter for pretty much all of that. Guys getting the luxury of seeing him in multiple ABs and all that jazz. He can approach things differently as a RP.

Agreed. You don’t need 3 great pitches. There are so many failed starters that became elite relievers, even if only for a few years.  Jose Mesa, Erik Gagne and  Jason isringhausen come to mind just off the top of my head. But there are so many more. Frankly, I’m surprised teams don’t try it more often.

Gallegos is a beast

Posted (edited)

Workman getting a workout. 44 pitches, was doing good until that last out. Wow, now he loads them, I can't believe he kept him that long 😮

Edited by pbjfb

3 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Workman getting a workout. 36 pitches, was doing good until that last out

And after 44 pitches, Workman falls an out short of the six-out save, loading the bases with a walk. Marcus Walden coming in....yikes.

6 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Workman getting a workout. 40 pitches, was doing good until that last out

2 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

And after 44 pitches, Workman falls an out short of the six-out save, loading the bases with a walk. Marcus Walden coming in....yikes.

He pitched a 1-2-3 8th and got no help from the defense and the ump in the 9th. There was a ground ball that should have been a double play making it two outs with nobody on. The next batter he strikes out. Then walks a batter and gives up a run scoring single. He got squeezed a couple times in the 9th so it looks worse than it should have. 

• Thanks 2

Workman with 44 pitches? Jesus. Maybe the problem is less the bullpen and more how the manager uses these guys.

Hendricks unavailable for 2 days in a row after pitching 3 in a row?

4 hours ago, B&F said:

Eovaldi cashed in for a handful of good games in the postseason.  He has had the same streak I am sure in previous years.  It just looked better in the playoffs and he got paid.

He still isn't good.  Odds of him keeping that closer role the remainder of the season are 20%.  

Sox will trade for a reliever.

Really?  How come he was golden for the Sox after his trade to them during the regular season as well?

Right now is control is off which is the rust thing.  He should have had another start in the minors before being called up but you see how it is.  Workman was horrible tonight.  No one is doing anything positive in the Boston bullpen right now.