JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

14 minutes ago, bigboyish said:

Rogers with a BS. :(

He's been real shaky last few outings. Twins probably end up trading for another closer. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MissingLink said:

Leclerc warming up in the 7th. 

He didn't come in, but that doesn't bode well for his chances of being closer.

10 hours ago, Blood Brother said:

Kole Calhoun with the save for Robles

Indeed. Robles has no idea where his pitches were going last night. Extremely lucky. Hopefully it was just a random off night.

Update from the battle of the league's sketchiest bullpens

Rays have Pagan in for the ninth for a save opp in a 3-2 game

Sox have Eovaldi warming in case he blows it

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Update from the battle of the league's sketchiest bullpens

Rays have Pagan in for the ninth for a save opp in a 3-2 game

Sox have Eovaldi warming in case he blows it

And Pagan works a 1-2-3 ninth to close it out (assuming the ridiculous protest thing doesn't get held up)

and Diego Castillo got touched up yet again yesterday

If the Rays dont add a high end RP me feels Pagan gets majority of saves ROS as once Jose is back Pagan will have either sunk or swam in the role IMO

When is Hinch going to realize that Osuna needs a couple days off?

Given up a run in 3 straight appearances over the last 4 days.

Pitched in 5 games in the past 7 days.

Are traditional closer roles really more important than the health and actual production of your pitching staff?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

When is Hinch going to realize that Osuna needs a couple days off?

Given up a run in 3 straight appearances over the last 4 days.

Pitched in 5 games in the past 7 days.

Are traditional closer roles really more important than the health and actual production of your pitching staff?

Yeah that is too much...it is not like they don't have other options--even with Pressley banged up a bit

• Like 1

Freddy Peralta out there for the S after Hader gas-faced for the 7/8th innings...Freddy steady pumping 97/98 MPH heaters and gets the save!

4 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Freddy Peralta out there for the S after Hader gas-faced for the 7/8th innings...Freddy steady pumping 97/98 MPH heaters and gets the save!

This the beginning of moving Hader back into fireman role and out of the 9th inning?

Leclerc is not the closer for those wondering. Grab Martin

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

This the beginning of moving Hader back into fireman role and out of the 9th inning?

I think they've used Hader pretty traditionally the majority of the season, but when they really need him to put out a fire they use him.

To note the specifics of the situation, he was brought in to face the #2 hitter, Votto (a lefty, who is followed by a lefty). He didn't get brought in with the bases loaded or anything, but they still brought him in to face Cincy's best hitters.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

So as far as Freddy Peralta closing it out today for the Brewers today after Hader in the seventh/eighth, Counsell said in his postgame presser that "his stuff fits in the ninth" and that with him pitching well lately that he had been thinking about using him in that role on days that he decided he wanted Hader in the game earlier. Which would bode well for more save opps going forward, except that with Woodruff already out and Chacin getting hurt today they are in desperate need for someone in the rotation as well if they don't trade for somebody soon -- although I assume that is their top priority over the next week.

Edited by JameisofThrones

17 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Holland pulled from save opportunity and Lopez converts...after I had cut bait on him earlier today. Extreme anger.

Next man up? 

• Like 1

Just curious, for those who added Leclerc over Martin like myself are you now running to grab Martin where he’s available?

We haven’t seen Martin since his appearance on the 21st where he pitched in the 8th down two and gave up a run before getting pulled after getting two outs. Since then we’ve seen Leclerc in that same game for the final out of the inning and then again today in the 8th inning while down 2. 

Both situations are not typical spots for a closer just getting in work but I still think there hasn’t been enough for us to tell who’s the guy while Kelley is out (still don’t know how long that will be but it could be short). 

1 minute ago, BostonCajun said:

Just curious, for those who added Leclerc over Martin like myself are you now running to grab Martin where he’s available?

We haven’t seen Martin since his appearance on the 21st where he pitched in the 8th down two and gave up a run before getting pulled after getting two outs. Since then we’ve seen Leclerc in that same game for the final out of the inning and then again today in the 8th inning while down 2. 

Both situations are not typical spots for a closer just getting in work but I still think there hasn’t been enough for us to tell who’s the guy while Kelley is out (still don’t know how long that will be but it could be short). 

Agreed. I wouldn’t write off Leclerc just yet. Also there’s rumors of trading both Martin and Leclerc. Between the two of them Martin would be by far the easiest to move in a deal due to the extension Leclerc made.  So don’t go dropping him just yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Agreed. I wouldn’t write off Leclerc just yet. Also there’s rumors of trading both Martin and Leclerc. Between the two of them Martin would be by far the easiest to move in a deal due to the extension Leclerc made.  So don’t go dropping him just yet. 

Kelley will robably be back before the rangers get another save opp

[ Post removed.  Do not ask Bench Coach questions here. ]

2 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Kelley will robably be back before the rangers get another save opp

With how poorly the Rangers have played of late, that is a strong possibility.