JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

From a look at the usage my guess would be Lugo then Wilson then maybe Familia.

1 hour ago, tonycpsu said:

He's probably got a head injury now.  And rabies

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stickfig13 said:

How does he not get the save? Just looking at the box score 

Tying run has to be on deck for it to be a save situation.

Lugo would be next up, I would assume. He could be a nice grab since there are rumors of the Mets dealing Edwin Diaz, anyway.... 

11 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Quick shout out to whoever it was that let this board know Hansel takes the mound to the Undertaker theme song. After hearing that I scooped him in all leagues. Not that I'm a fan of that stuff, just thought that was cool. Reminded me of Mo...

I remember that too! I also remember someone saying he came out and people wore horse heads. I had scooped him by then, speculating Buttrey was the fireman. He has been one of the most pleasant surprises this year.

So somehow Ian Kennedy has turned himself into a decent relief pitcher, enough value that someone may actually trade for him.  The rest of the Royals options are quite bad.  Diekman maybe as the next guy? Of course there is a chance he gets dealt too.

6 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

So somehow Ian Kennedy has turned himself into a decent relief pitcher, enough value that someone may actually trade for him.  The rest of the Royals options are quite bad.  Diekman maybe as the next guy? Of course there is a chance he gets dealt too.

His contract is pretty hefty. Makes a trade a bit tricky.  Not impossible but of the bad team closers he's a bit safer than most.  

5 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

He's probably got a head injury now.  And rabies

They also probably amputated the toe, but obviously the wrong one.  Then it turns out in the end there was no injury at all.  He just ate a bad burrito and had "flu like symptoms".

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Eovaldi looked much better in second outing -- one hit and one K in a scoreless inning. Regularly at or around triple digits. Plus, he did his job in protecting a 16-run lead in the ninth (but seriously, guessing this was for him to build some confidence and for the team to make sure they could feel comfortable putting him in a tough situation in the next few days against the Yankees).

Edited by JameisofThrones
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Diego Castillo, in case anyone is still holding out hope, is now an opener

They are by far the worst team in the majors to own a reliever from. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2019 at 12:20 AM, MissingLink said:

Leclerc warming up in the 7th. 

Well, Chris Martin did close for the Rangers the last time Kelley was on the DL, so this shouldn't come as a shock.  Right or wrong, it really seems like Chris Woodward permanently lost trust in LeClerc after April.  If Woodward really just wanted, as he said, to give LeClerc a little bit of time to regain his form in lower stress situations, Woodward's had two and a half months of opportunity to reinsert LeClerc because LeClerc has been pretty solid the past 3 months. 

• Like 1

Who closes in Pitt if Vazquez is traded?

1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

They are by far the worst team in the majors to own a reliever from. 

I own Pagan to control the ratios. He's elite in multiple categories

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

Who closes in Pitt if Vazquez is traded?

Crick? Possibly Kela once he gets some work in low lev. Situation. 

Hurdle said he would eventually be high leverage guy.

I'd say Crick to start at least. Hurdle loves him

http://closermonkey.com/test/archives/nl-central/pit/

Edited by zstlj

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

Well, Chris Martin did close for the Rangers the last time Kelley was on the DL, so this shouldn't come as a shock.  Right or wrong, it really seems like Chris Woodward permanently lost trust in LeClerc after April.  If Woodward really just wanted, as he said, to give LeClerc a little bit of time to regain his form in lower stress situations, Woodward's had two and a half months of opportunity to reinsert LeClerc because LeClerc has been pretty solid the past 3 months. 

Please help clarify this, I'm lost. CBS wrote LeClerc is next man up after Kelley injury , but looks like he's not (above poster). 

I'm sticking with pagan for ratios mainly, but also some saves. 

Sorry, just haven't been.on top of Texas situation and don't know. 

Ty

3 hours ago, Baur10 said:

His contract is pretty hefty. Makes a trade a bit tricky.  Not impossible but of the bad team closers he's a bit safer than most.  

It's pretty close to impossible, I'd be shocked if he gets moved.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

It's pretty close to impossible, I'd be shocked if he gets moved.

The only thing that gives me any pause is the possibility of some kind of contract dump type deal.  But yeah overall I agree, still seems super unlikely. That deal is pretty much a non starter for trade talks no matter how many saves he has converted. 

Edited by Baur10

As a Royals fan, I’d put the odds of a Kennedy trade at around 40% and the odds of a Diekman trade at around 95%. The Royals lately have shown zero tendency of eating money to increase the prospect return so any trade of Kennedy would be just to dump as much of his salary as possible. There’s even the chance that they’re both dealt together with Diekman being used to sweeten the deal of acquiring Kennedy. Diekman, Kennedy, and $5 million for a box of napkins? Who wants it?

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

As a Royals fan, I’d put the odds of a Kennedy trade at around 40% and the odds of a Diekman trade at around 95%. The Royals lately have shown zero tendency of eating money to increase the prospect return so any trade of Kennedy would be just to dump as much of his salary as possible. There’s even the chance that they’re both dealt together with Diekman being used to sweeten the deal of acquiring Kennedy. Diekman, Kennedy, and $5 million for a box of napkins? Who wants it?

Dodgers?

5 hours ago, zstlj said:

Crick? Possibly Kela once he gets some work in low lev. Situation. 

Hurdle said he would eventually be high leverage guy.

I'd say Crick to start at least. Hurdle loves him

http://closermonkey.com/test/archives/nl-central/pit/

Kela will be moved. The team suspended him this week after being out since April. He did something to one of the managers. The local news stations were talking about it yesterday. Crick should be the guy. If Vasquez goes, they may blow the entire team up. (not that I'm saying that wouldn't be a bad thing)

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Dodgers?

I’d add the Nats, too, but I’m not sure about their luxury tax issues. They were rumored to be in on Diekman a few days ago. Aside from Doolittle their bullpen is still a dumpster fire and I’d bet they add a righty and lefty reliever.

And for those wondering, if Kennedy and Diekman get dealt, I’d expect Barlow to get the first crack at the closer gig (just don’t expect good ratios).

Edited by meh2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, zstlj said:

Please help clarify this, I'm lost. CBS wrote LeClerc is next man up after Kelley injury , but looks like he's not (above poster). 

Ty

CBS doesn’t know. Above poster doesn’t know. It’s reading tea leaves and making educated guesses. LeClerc warming in the 7th after the Kelley trade doesn’t bode well for his chances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, zstlj said:

Ty

Sure.  To summarize, Jose LeClerc had an atrocious April, posting a 10.80 ERA, 2.52 WHIP, and 8 walks in 8 1/3 IP, blowing two saves and being pulled from two other save opportunities before he could blow it.  Finally, on May 1st, manager Chris Woodward announced that he was temporarily taking LeClerc out of the closer's role and "was going to use him in lower-leverage situations to get him back on track before returning him to the closer's role".  (Take this with a grain of salt though because managers always say this when removing a closer though in order to try to avoid totally ruining the ex-closer's confidence.  Brad Ausmus said this exact same thing about Cody Allen a few weeks before the Angels cut him.)

Since May 1st, LeClerc has not received a single save opportunity despite the fact that he has gotten back on track, posting a 2.80 ERA, 0.91 WHIP, 13 walks, and 56 Ks in 35 1/3 IP since then.  During this timeframe, Shawn Kelley has served as the Rangers' closer when he hasn't been hurt, posting 11 saves.  When Kelley was on the DL from May 9th to May 21st, Chris Martin served as the Rangers' closer, posting 3 saves.  Now that Kelley is back on the DL, while the struggling Rangers haven't had a save opportunity yet, context clues point strongly toward Martin being the closer again given that LeClerc was warming up in the 7th inning earlier this week.

Right or wrong, it truly appears that Chris Woodward permanently lost faith in LeClerc after his atrocious April, despite the fact that LeClerc has turned his season around since then.

Edited by FootballFan101
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Any feeling on who the guy to own in Boston is?  Workman or Eovaldi?  Or is it anyone's guess at this point?