JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

14 hours ago, absmoke said:

As a diehard sox fan that's been watching Workman for years, I agree. He's not nearly this good and some hits will start dropping in, at which point his abysmal walk rate will catch up with him. Ticking time bomb.

I concur.

13 hours ago, Hangry Bird said:

Not a bad point and I do know that when on, he has good stuff but he's fresh off the 60DL -- if imma Sox fan I don't want him rounding back into baseball shape*, I want a real closer in there for the playoff run which most likely happens before the end of the month -- one with amazing mound presence

*in high-lev situations

And what exactly did Eovaldi do in high leverage, high pressure situations last year in September and the playoffs?  His 100 mph stuff is filthy.  As a Red Sox fan I can't wait until he gets back.

Holland blew it

24 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I concur.

And what exactly did Eovaldi do in high leverage, high pressure situations last year in September and the playoffs?  His 100 mph stuff is filthy.  As a Red Sox fan I can't wait until he gets back.

Despite his 100 mile per hour fastball, Eovaldi only strikes out 6.8 batters per nine innings. That would rank him dead last among all 27 regular closers. 

5 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Despite his 100 mile per hour fastball, Eovaldi only strikes out 6.8 batters per nine innings. That would rank him dead last among all 27 regular closers. 

He added a cutter and struck out 8 per 9 last year. He was injured in his limited time this year. If he can maintain last year's strikeout performance with the new cutter and throwing max effort out of the pen he'll be fine with strikeouts. 

But in his career he does generally have low K totals.

• Like 3

First time watching Aaron Bummer pitch today. Dude is nasty. He looks like a Zach Britton clone out there. Apologies if this is already common knowledge or if it's been discussed already. He'll be at the top of my stash list in a couple weeks as it gets closer to the deadline. 

15 hours ago, bigboyish said:

Hendriks has been so good... But looks like he'll be back to being the set up guy.

It appears that way since Treinen was officially activated.  If I was Oakland, I would have left Hendriks in the role until Treinen showed that he could pitch even as a setup man right now, but it'd probably be a surprise if they didn't just hand the role back to Treinen right away.  It's not like Hendriks couldn't be an elite Top 5 closer or anything... 🙄

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, meh2 said:

First time watching Aaron Bummer pitch today. Dude is nasty. He looks like a Zach Britton clone out there. Apologies if this is already common knowledge or if it's been discussed already. He'll be at the top of my stash list in a couple weeks as it gets closer to the deadline. 

After surviving a brutal June schedule & once again on the cusp of a .500 record, trading Colome would be extremely controversial, and I just can’t see it happening.  The Sox are now averaging 21,000 fans per game and climbing, up from the 16K range last season.  That 25% attendance spike is the second highest in baseball this year. 

Edited by Tommy Lee Jones
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

After surviving a brutal June schedule & once again on the cusp of a .500 record, trading Colome would be extremely controversial, and I just can’t see it happening.  The Sox are now averaging 21,000 fans per game and climbing, up from the 16K range last season.  That 25% attendance spike is the second highest in baseball this year. 

Well, yeah, of course he’s not getting traded now. Anything is possible between now and the deadline, but Fangraphs has the Sox as 0.1% odds to make the playoffs. I expect them to be sellers at the deadline.

33 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Well, yeah, of course he’s not getting traded now. Anything is possible between now and the deadline, but Fangraphs has the Sox as 0.1% odds to make the playoffs. I expect them to be sellers at the deadline.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I never said anything about him getting traded now.  I’m saying it’s unlikely period.  Especially with an easy July schedule.

But if people want to speculate on Bummer, more power to ‘em.  I’m just saying that I wouldn’t be getting my hopes up about Hahn & co dissing the fan base like that.  

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

It appears that way since Treinen was officially activated.  If I was Oakland, I would have left Hendriks in the role until Treinen showed that he could pitch even as a setup man right now, but it'd probably be a surprise if they didn't just hand the role back to Treinen right away.  It's not like Hendriks couldn't be an elite Top 5 closer or anything... 🙄

Prepare to be surprised.  

18 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Prepare to be surprised.  

Do you have a crystal ball?  Not trying to be an a**.  Obviously I hope you end up being right since I have Hendriks, but as far as I know, the team has said nothing.  Technically not even anything to Treinen.

26 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I never said anything about him getting traded now.  I’m saying it’s unlikely period.  Especially with an easy July schedule.

But if people want to speculate on Bummer, more power to ‘em.  I’m just saying that I wouldn’t be getting my hopes up about Hahn & co dissing the fan base like that.  

Still a couple weeks from the deadline.  And just because they are in the hunt doesn't mean they can't make smart moves.  See the Rays last year. Colome's FIP/XFIP belie his numbers as well.   If any team is desperate enough to trade for him (cough Red Sox), then the White Sox would be foolish not to say yes.  

Bummer should be the #1 closer stash.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Do you have a crystal ball?  Not trying to be an a**.  Obviously I hope you end up being right since I have Hendriks, but as far as I know, the team has said nothing.  Technically not even anything to Treinen.

To be fair that tweet above is pretty telling about closer fluidity in Oakland at the moment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Magoo said:

To be fair that tweet above is pretty telling about closer fluidity in Oakland at the moment.

True.  Obviously how I started my post might not have been the best, but didn't mean it in a bad way really.  It would obviously be great to know something as soon as possible so I could drop Hendriks and use the roster spot on something else, but he's too good to get rid of yet even though the obvious assumption would be that Treinen would be the closer again.

16 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Still a couple weeks from the deadline.  And just because the White Sox are in the hunt doesn't mean they can't make smart moves.

A smart move for what, though?  A fringe top 150 prospect?  Because you know that’s probably a best-case scenario.  Doesn’t seem worth it.  

And while guys like Matt Barnes and Luke Jackson dominate in FIP, it’s guys like Colome with ice in their veins getting the job done.  Not that I wasn’t a FIP cheerleader for both Barnes and Jackson at various points.  Those were shameful times.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I might be wrong. But all other times the team has been very clear about him immediately returning to the role. They've been silent here. Blake himself is now saying he'll play any role. It's not official, but all signs are strongly pointing to Liam keeping it awhile longer.

57 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I might be wrong. But all other times the team has been very clear about him immediately returning to the role. They've been silent here. Blake himself is now saying he'll play any role. It's not official, but all signs are strongly pointing to Liam keeping it awhile longer.

But they haven’t been silent here.  The manager literally just said he’s still the closer.

After last night's game, who takes over for Holland in Arizona?

6 earned runs for Alvarado?  The game log reads like a nightmare, a lot of it in regards to Tampa Bay’s defense.  A Baltimore fan said this is the type of inning that we’re used to seeing from the Orioles.  That’s harsh.

• Haha 1

And Kimbrel blows a save.

Are we looking at a Greg Holland situation.