JameisofThrones

2019 July Closer Thread

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

Sure.  To summarize, Jose LeClerc had an atrocious April, posting a 10.80 ERA, 2.52 WHIP, and 8 walks in 8 1/3 IP, blowing two saves and being pulled from two other save opportunities before he could blow it.  Finally, on May 1st, manager Chris Woodward announced that he was temporarily taking LeClerc out of the closer's role and "was going to use him in lower-leverage situations to get him back on track before returning him to the closer's role".  (Take this with a grain of salt though because managers always say this when removing a closer though in order to try to avoid totally ruining the ex-closer's confidence.  Brad Ausmus said this exact same thing about Cody Allen a few weeks before the Angels cut him.)

Since May 1st, LeClerc has not received a single save opportunity despite the fact that he has gotten back on track, posting a 2.80 ERA, 0.91 WHIP, 13 walks, and 56 Ks in 35 1/3 IP since then.  During this timeframe, Shawn Kelley has served as the Rangers' closer when he hasn't been hurt, posting 11 saves.  When Kelley was on the DL from May 9th to May 21st, Chris Martin served as the Rangers' closer, posting 3 saves.  Now that Kelley is back on the DL, while the struggling Rangers haven't had a save opportunity yet, context clues point strongly toward Martin being the closer again given that LeClerc was warming up in the 7th inning earlier this week.

Right or wrong, it truly appears that Chris Woodward permanently lost faith in LeClerc after his atrocious April, despite the fact that LeClerc has turned his season around since then.

This may very well be the case (It's proven true to this point certainly), but from my keyboard here, and I'm sure a bunch of others in this forum, I wonder how wise this is for the Rangers.  If you're Texas, the only arm in this trio that that has any long term future with your club is Leclerc.  They signed him to an extension, he's controlled for a number of years,  he has big time strike out stuff, and the team is going nowhere since the allstar break. I'd have to imagine it's in the Rangers best interests to give Leclerc the closers gig and let him figure it out sooner rather than later.  From my ignorant position this would be the path I'd take.  Trade away any reliever/commodity that is expendable and will give a return (Kelley, Martin, etc.), and play the players that can be a part of your future, are your future, or might be a trade asset down the road.   From a logical standpoint I have to imagine that Leclerc gets another shot real soon (unless he pitches like dog poop of course). As we all know though logic doesn't always rule in these cases.  Teams sometimes do strange things.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Any feeling on who the guy to own in Boston is?  Workman or Eovaldi?  Or is it anyone's guess at this point?

spacer.png

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

Stevie Wilkerson top 5 closer ROS (Did I do that right?)

Isn't he a position player?

9 hours ago, zstlj said:

Crick? Possibly Kela once he gets some work in low lev. Situation. 

Hurdle said he would eventually be high leverage guy.

I'd say Crick to start at least. Hurdle loves him

http://closermonkey.com/test/archives/nl-central/pit/

I just looked at Crick's numbers.  He's got 30 walks in 36 innings, or 7.5 BB/9. He only had 23 in 60+ ip last year.  What happened to his control? 

33 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

This may very well be the case (It's proven true to this point certainly), but from my keyboard here, and I'm sure a bunch of others in this forum, I wonder how wise this is for the Rangers.  If you're Texas, the only arm in this trio that that has any long term future with your club is Leclerc.  They signed him to an extension, he's controlled for a number of years,  he has big time strike out stuff, and the team is going nowhere since the allstar break. I'd have to imagine it's in the Rangers best interests to give Leclerc the closers gig and let him figure it out sooner rather than later.  From my ignorant position this would be the path I'd take.  Trade away any reliever/commodity that is expendable and will give a return (Kelley, Martin, etc.), and play the players that can be a part of your future, are your future, or might be a trade asset down the road.   From a logical standpoint I have to imagine that Leclerc gets another shot real soon (unless he pitches like dog poop of course). As we all know though logic doesn't always rule in these cases.  Teams sometimes do strange things.

I guess they MAYBE are trying to give Martin's value a little boost before shipping him out next week, but yeah, Occam's Razor probably applies here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

That's awesome.  56 mph!!!

Maybe that's how to pitch now. The ball is wound so tight that it springs off the bat. Throwing slower would mean the batter has to generate all the power.  

He wasn't just lobbing it in there. It was knuckling around. The catcher even missed the first one in the video.

1 hour ago, murraygd13 said:

Maybe that's how to pitch now. The ball is wound so tight that it springs off the bat. Throwing slower would mean the batter has to generate all the power.  

spacer.png

1 hour ago, murraygd13 said:

The Rays will now be the first to adopt this policy....and it will work....lol

2 minutes ago, Impeccable said:

The Rays will now be the first to adopt this policy....and it will work....lol

Wasnt there something about Vlad Jr. Being able to hit HR off a tee and that being very rare?

3 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

In all seriousness I wonder if a team will try this.  

33 minutes ago, B&F said:

In all seriousness I wonder if a team will try this.  

Didn't they use slow pitch in the home run derby, and Guerrero hit 91 HR's ?

28 minutes ago, Topgun said:

Didn't they use slow pitch in the home run derby, and Guerrero hit 91 HR's ?

Definitely throwing 10-15 mph faster than Wilkerson last night, plus 10-15 feet closer and not from a mound....

Again, he was throwing knuckleballs up there. Not straight 56 mph batting practice. That is why the catcher even had trouble catching them and it's the only reason hitters didn't completely destroy him.

40 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Again, he was throwing knuckleballs up there. Not straight 56 mph batting practice. That is why the catcher even had trouble catching them and it's the only reason hitters didn't completely destroy him.

This.  Timing was the issue. The pitch speed itself only accounts for about 3% of the batted ball exit velocity, if i recall correctly.  It's not much

Is Munoz the guy if Yates gets moved? His stuff is absolutely sick.

17 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

I thought it was stammen even though he hasn't been good this year

22 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

Actually read that they may be showcasing him for a possible deal. 

3 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

I thought it was stammen even though he hasn't been good this year

Ugh. Nothing like a WHIP destroying low-K vet getting the nod over a young phenom.

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Actually read that they may be showcasing him for a possible deal. 

Munoz? That's interesting.

I've said this before, but as nasty as Munoz has been (albeit in a small sample size), I doubt that the Padres would throw a 20-year old kid into the pressure of the closer role with so few MLB innings under his belt, even if he might have the best arm and arsenal for the job. I'd agree on Stammen, as unexciting as that may be.